Re: Last Mainstream movie you watched.

I dont get the Emma Stone thing either...I mean she is a good actress but never found her super attrative. But hey, different strokes for different folks, right?

Scalene - I highly recommend this one.  Not the most exciting, but very original story and the way its told.

Dark Shadows. barely made it through. not Tim Burton's finest Hour although it's better than crappy "Planet Of the Apes".

^^^
Wasn't impressed by it either. And man do I loooove Burton. That's maybe because I watched the old TV series a while back.
I liked Planet Of The Apes way much more. How can I not, Estella Warren is in it. big_smile

Savages (2012)-  Two friends who are big time pot dealers get pinched by the Mexican drug cartel who want a piece of their business. When they refuse. The cartel kidnaps their girlfriend and force them to reconsider. The two friends turn the tables on the cartel and take action against the them.

Being that Oliver Stone directed the movie, and starring: Benicio del Toro, (The beautiful) Selma Hayek, and John Travolta. How can you go wrong.

The only qualm I had with the movie was it lagged a bit too long at 143 min. Other than that, the acting was great, and Oliver Stone still has it.

Recommended- 7/10

Gardens of the Night - Amazing movie with brilliant performances.  I've seen some really good movies lately.

TED. had it's moments but i thought it very disapointing and long periods without any laughs at all and it was the unrated version i saw. maybe i'm getting old but thought it in the main ho hum. 6/10.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Will never get old, no matter how many times I see it. 10/10

Smithereens (1982)

Young twenty-something woman moves to New York to start a punk band, only to meet disappointment after disappointment. Really good drama. 8/10

I actually went to a movie!

Saw - This is 40.  It was A W E S O M E !  A little more drama and less comedy than I expected though.  I think anyone in there 30's or later would appreciate this.  Especially if you've been married.  It was hilarious.

Just finished watching The Avengers for the sixteenth or seventeenth time.

^^
Did you ever get the subtitles to work?  I tried, but I couldn't pull it off for you.

Stoopid monkey.  sad

Last edited by azathoth (2012-12-24 17:24:22)

Yup, subs and everything are working just spiffily.  I even managed to track down an mp3 of the commentary track and recently DLed a program that will let me add it to the video as a second audio track.  Just haven't gotten to doing so yet lol

Ted

It's a Wonderful Life.  Christmas movies just don't get any better than this, IMO.  10/10 in perpetuity.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. smile

It's a holiday tradition for me & the family to watch this movie. Certainly a top-notch classic.

The Amazing Spiderman

25th Hour

Die Hard big_smile Christmas movie at its finest lol

"Now I have a machine gun.  Ho.  Ho.  Ho." big_smile

Just watched Snow White and the Huntsman.  I'm mixed on it.  Storywise it drags and the finale is unsatisfying.  But the CG is excellent, particularly in regards to the dwarves; rather than cast actual little people, they hired normal-sized actors and shrank them down (notably Toby Jones, Nick Frost, Bob Hoskins, Ray Winstone, Ian McShane and Eddie Marsane; couldn't place the other two).

And wow, Charlize Theron over-acted like nobody's business.  Kristen Stewart made for a totally underwhelming Snow White, but Chris Hemsworth was good as the titular Huntsmen.

A pretty film to look at, but about as involving and exciting as watching grass grow.  5/10

Donkey Punch.  Entertaining and interesting.  Worth a watch.

The Trip (1967) - 7.5/10

A story of one guy's wacked out acid trip. Staring Peter Fonda, written by Jack Nicholson, and directed by the great Roger Corman, it was made in the summer of love...the epitome year of the hippie movement. All in all, I'd say it's a pretty solid movie. I wasn't even stoned, but I enjoyed it. tongue

JUNO is on tv now. My favorite comedy of all times. Dialogs are so freaking excellently HILARIOUS!!! Ellen Page is just way too amazing in this one. I love this canadian girl. 666/10

Hit and Run (2012) - 7/10

LoudLon wrote:

Just finished watching The Avengers for the sixteenth or seventeenth time.

Thats a damn fine movie your watching! I think I have only seen it 2.5 or 3 times though.

ChainSaW80 wrote:

Hit and Run (2012) - 7/10

Oh I just can't wait to see that. I'm a HUGE fan of Kristen Bell, seen most of the stuff she did and I find her not only cute but impressively good. And to see her play with her LUCKY boyfriend will be nice for sure.