Topic: Quentin Tarantino's Killer Crow

I'm talking about this everywhere else may as well bring it here too haha

Quentin Tarantino and Killer Crow

some of what I have expressed already...

...He started talking about ending this "trilogy" off with a gangster film; which makes total sense because why wouldn't you end your homage of Italian films with a Poliziotteschi film?? He would then easily put this in with his Castellari and Corbicci tributes with either another Castellari film or someone like Fernando Di Leo (someone he has already payed tribute 2 in both RD and PF). He could even do a Mario Caiano film. I just think going full blacksploitation with the 3rd film is out of place. I can see why he wants to. IB you could see he was itching to do a western. There were elements everywhere. So he then made DU, and now you can see the blacksploitation brewing but I don't know if it fits in this trilogy. Doing a eurocrime like he originally suggested is the better way to go!!

...See because this just makes me think "Crow Killer" (Sydney Pollack's Jeremiah Johnson) which is getting into Indian territory that I don't think fits. I would love to see a full on Tarantino Blacksploitation film, but is this really the appropriate way?!?! If you go" Caliber 9", "Violent City", "Street Law", "Almost Human", "Syndicate Sadists", "Violent Professionals" or even go so far as "Italian Connection", it will piece together everything nicely. Plus "Killer Crow"... I want to know what exactly he is trying to connect there. Is this a "Jim Crow" reference?? Because why go original now... If your going to do it go "Black Six", "Black Fist", "Black Caesar", "Velvet Smooth", "Gordon's War", "Death Dimension", etc.

Last edited by robertthunder (2012-12-27 18:45:30)

Re: Quentin Tarantino's Killer Crow

He already did blaxploitation with Jackie Brown -- it was just HIS version of blaxploitation.  Just as Death Proof was his version of a slasher flick and Kill Bill was his version of a martial arts epic.  As a writer/director his influences show often, but he's too good to simply mimic.

I don't know about him trying to connect anything -- though it would be welcome, considering most great directors have at least one series of films which all share a similar theme, like Romero's Dead Series, Argento's Animal Trilogy or Mothers Trilogy, etc.  But personally I'm fine with QT making stand-alone films.  Although as I write that, and while I haven't seen Django Unchained yet, I'm aware it does take certain liberties with the wild west, like Inglourious Basterds did with WWII, so maybe he's aiming for a trio of films containing revisionist histories...?

It has been stated many times you can connect everything in the Tarantino Universe...
He has done Blaxploitation twice (JB and DU); but this synopsis to me takes it to another level.
DU doesn't really spice up history like IB did. It's a hell of a lot more realistic, scary realistic in parts really...
Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained take there names from Italian genre films though so why stop that now. and be it the logical progression would be Poliziotteschi (which he originally stated...) its weird that he would go for something completely original now if he really wants this as a final hurrah in the trilogy.

I personally never know where his mind is gonna go and what'll come out of it for the next one. He's a REAL cinema fanatic and even if his influeneces kinda show, like LoudLon say he never let us know exactly where he's taken it. And that's why he's so good I guess. When I watch one of his flicks I can really feel the true love he has for cinema.
But I'm gonna watch for everything he comes up with, love him to Death. lol

I actually want to see him do a full-on horror film.  He may have called Death Proof his slasher flick but considering there was no slashing, just stalking, car stunts and WAY, WAY too much talking, I think he owes his fans something which more closely resembles a horror film.  And I don't count From Dusk Till Dawn because the first half of that flick is a hostage movie.  I'm talking full horror, beginning to end.

^^^
Oh I totally agree with you on that. And i'm pretty certain it'd be a blast.
Wait a minute, I'm calling him now. lol

Thanks for posting this thread, robert.

QT, is by far my favorite director. In my eye, he can do nothing wrong in the way of film making. I have enjoyed all his films, and look forward to more. As "punk" pointed out,  his love of cinema stands out in his films. The man has true talent for not only writing, but also directing.

And yea Lon. I too wish he would make a "true" horror film. "Werewolf Women of the SS "would be awesome! wink Maybe a collaboration between him and Rob Z.

Tarentino and Zombie together??? WOAH, that'd Rock so much.
We could also add Burton to the gang and it'd do the best movie ever made for sure. lol

Last edited by kXnPunk (2012-12-29 01:24:00)

Speaking of Zombie, I'm REALLY looking forward to Lords of Salem.  I've heard nothing but great  things about it, and it's the first horror film I've been genuinely psyched to see since Grindhouse.

I love QT for his zaney wtfness. I know a lot of his films pay tribute to directors and movies that he loved and a lot of people call them "rip offs" but I see it as a movie fan paying respect just the way we do. I didn't love Inglorious, Infact I found it a bit pretentious but I've loved all before then. Death Proof is my 2nd favourite only to Reservoir Dogs. I happen to love QT's long dialogues. smile

^^^
Zaney wtfness, LOVE that. lol
I totally agree with you, he's a fan paying his respect to what he lowes and he does it very well if you ask me.
My favs are:
Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Death Proof. Inglorious comes close.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-01-02 10:42:35)

kXnPunk wrote:

My favs are:
Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Death Proof. Inglorious comes close.

Wait till you see Django Unchained!!!

In order; Directing...
Pulp
Django
Reservoir
Inglourious
Jackie
Death
Kill
Four Rooms
My Best Friends Birthday

I'll chime in too.  Love his work.  Loved Django Unchained too but I prefered Inglorious Basterds. I think IB really was a stand-out movie, even by his standards.  Django should be seen as more of a blaxploitation movie than a western. First off, it's set in the South. The references to spaghetti westerns abound but it's really more to set a tone rather than to pay homage.

I don't know what he's going to do next, he's mentioned a half-dozen different possibilities since Django's release, so I'm not even sure HE knows.  But I can't wait to find out and I give him more leeway than any other writer/director when he makes the announcement.

It could be time to take things a bit more lightly and to come back next summer with Grindhouse 2.

i must admit  he blew me away with Django Unchained and i haven't really liked many of his films before that apart from Inglorious Basterds, although Reservoir Dogs, and Kill Bill part 1 are ok. the rest bleeegh  and i fucking hate "Death Proof" damn it to hell! i wouldn't mind his next film being a tribute to the Italian Crime films or a full on horror would be interesting.