Re: DirtyGirl's Horror Movie A Day Challenge

Dec 12 - Death Ship (1980) - After their cruise ship is rammed and sunk by a mysterious ship, the last survivors think they are saved when they come upon another ship, but unbeknownst to them, the ship is actually an abandoned former Nazi torture ship that runs on something other than your standard fuel.  Actually, kind of a cool plot line, unfortunately it was not very suspenseful and really pretty tame.  I guess it didn't help that the ship itself broke down on them while filming so that they couldn't actually show it moving, not to mention not showing the cruise ship sinking.  Given today's technology, this is one that could be remade and remade better than the original.  2/5.  First watch.

Dec 13 - Doomsday Book (2012) - A Korean anthology of three stories, In A Brave New World, a mysterious virus brings the city to ruins and zombies flood the streets of Seoul. The Chapter 2, The Heavenly Creature, a robot reaches enlightenment on its own while working at a temple. Its creators regard this phenomenon as a threat to mankind and decide to terminate the robot. The Last Chapter- Happy Birthday, a little girl logs into a strange website and puts in an order for a new pool ball for her billiards-obsessed father. Soon an unidentified meteor heads toward Earth and all human beings flee to underground bomb shelters.  Of the 3 stories, only the first really plays on horror themes, and was probably the most enjoyable.  The other two deal more with science fiction themes.  Interspersed throughout there is some good humor, but having read about this one some time ago, I found it to be a bit of a let down.  2.5/5.  First watch.

I am so glad you have been keeping up with this Alien!  I have been so busy lately, I have no time to keep track of what I have been watching all this time again.  I will just start from today...

The Snow Town Murders-  Wow! what a powerful Thriller.   It left me feeling a little sick knowing that it was all based on true events.  The true monsters are men and they are very real.  If you want to read about the actual events go here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowtown_murders

Let Me In-  I have watched this a few times now and it always a good watch.  Yes, I prefer the original Let the Right One In over this version, but this one is still a good rewatch.

Well, here I go.

16/12/12

The Unborn - I dig this movie. Been a while I didn't watch it but it's still cool to watch it back. I enjoy it everytime. The unborn kid/entity is pretty damn sick. Nice story and character development I think. And not to mention Odette Annable rocks in this and there's a very damn good cast.  H3LL Gary Oldman... smile

Deadly Blessing 1981 is an amazing one. It's the 3rd movie Sharon Stone did in her career and you can definitely see that she was promised to be the actress she is now. What an amazing performance she give us in it. Story is pretty cool too, in a hittite farm with some sort of incubus haunting Wes Craven style, which gives us a great B flick like we love. The ending is pretty damn cool. Not the best effects but still sticks in your head. Great flick.

^^You had me worried DG.  Glad to hear that you have just been busy. smile

Dec 14 - House at the End of the Street (2012) - 2.5/5.  First watch.

Dec 15 - Tony (2009) - 3/5.  First watch.

Dec 15 - Ms. 45 (1981) - 3/5.  First watch.

Dec 15 - Hold your Breath (2012) - 1/5.  First and last watch.

Dec 16 - The Ward (2012) - 3/5.  First watch.

Dec 17 - The Hell's Gate (1989) - 1.5/5.  First watch.

18/12/12

THE RAGE
One of the goriest Zombie flick I've watched. Pretty wild.
Bunch of teenagers in a RV discover brain juice thisrty Undeads. Nice flick. I LOVE blood. lol

Sorry Alien,  It's been pretty crazy lately.

Anamorph-  A detective played by William Dafoe is tracking a serial killer thats arranges his victims like artwork. 

Now that's a Thriller!  good story, good actors, and good ending.  I will definitely give that one second view.

^^^
Dafoe was incredible in this one. What a great actor he is. Love the dude.

Dec 18 - Harold's Going Stiff (2011) - Harold Gimble, an aging pensioner, is the first in his small Yorkshire village to contract O.R.D. or Onset Rigor Disease, which causes body stiffness, loss of mental faculties and ultimately turns its victims into violent zombies.  As the disease begins to affect more and more men in the village, scientists search for a cure while bands of club wielding vigilantes patrol the village killing any errant zombie they come across.  Harold struggles to fight the effects of the disease while also trying to avoid becoming a guinea pig for the scientists or a victim of the vigilantes.  Enter Penny Rudge, a lonely nurse sent to help Harold fight the stiffness.  Her sunny disposition and genuine affection for her work rub off on Harold.  As both his stiffness and outlook begin to improve, and unlikely friendship is struck between Harold and Penny.  But they both know that unless a cure is found, his mental capacities will continue to diminish and he ultimately will end up like so many other victims in his village.  Without a doubt one of the most original zombie movies I have seen.  Filmed in mockumentary style, it is funny, warmhearted, and poignant.  If you prefer your zombie movies to be action packed gorefests along the lines of REC or Romero's Dead films, then skip this one.  But if you appreciate originality, and character driven storytelling with zombies thrown into the mix, then give this one a try.  4/5.  First watch.

Dec 19 - You Better Watch Out aka Christmas Evil (1980) - Traumatized as a child when he learns that Santa Claus is not real, toy maker Harry Stalding becomes obsessed with Christmas and sets out to make its spirit a reality.  When he is met with cynicism and hypocrisy, he snaps and goes on a yuletide killing spree.  It does have its fun bits, but overall, I found it to be pretty ho-hum.  It was funny to recognize Patricia Richardson by her voice alone in her small role as Moss' Mom.  2/5.  First watch.

Dec 21 - Frankenweenie (2012) - 4/5.  First watch.

Dec 22 - The Factory (2011) - 2.5/5.  First watch.

Dec 23 - Humongous (1982) - 2/5.  First watch.

Dec 24 - Alexandra's Project (2003) - 3/5.  First watch.

Dec 25 - Star Crystal (1986) - 1/5.  First watch.

Dec 25 - Decay (2012) - 2.5/5.  First watch.

Dec 26 - The Millennium Bug (2011) - Trying to escape Y2K hysteria over the New Year's holiday in 1999, the Hasking family travels to a mountain ghost town for a camping trip.  There, they are greeted by a vicious hillbilly clan looking for women to bear their children.  But unbeknowst to the Haskins or the hillbillies, the end of the millennium also marks the birth of a blood thirsty beast that gestates for a thousand years before emerging from the earth.  Bad, but in a good way.  Campy B movie monster fun with cheesy sets, bad acting and surprisingly well done practical effects rather than CGI.  3/5.  First watch.

Dec 27 - En las afueras de la ciudad aka Hidden in the Woods (2012) - The  story of two Chilean sisters raised in isolation by an abusive father who stashes drugs for the local drug lord.  When their father kills two policemen and is sent to jail, it appears that the young women will finally be free of his torment.  But things go from bad to worse when they discover that the drug lord, Uncle Costello, sends out his goons to retrieve his merchandise before their father can blab to the police.  Uncle Costello and his men will soon discover however, that there is more than drugs hidden in the woods and that the sisters and their father hide an even darker secret.  The first horror movie that I can recall from Chile, and for the most part, it was really well done.  Brutal and gruesome, just as I had anticipated, with a nice little plot twist that I didn't quite see coming.  However, the second half is kind of all over that place and the final act that plays out a bit like a Kill Bill flick, which is not a bad thing, but it kind of changes the tone and feeling of the movie.  Still, one worth checking out, especially if you like Spanish language films.  3.5/5.  First watch.

Watched some good movies recently...

I have been looking through Netflix for some good movies.  They are few and far between!  I did enjoy a few though...

Midnight Son- A different take on the vampire tale.

Heartless- A little confusing but worth the view.

The Traveler-  despite having Val Kilmer in it, it was just meh...

DG I really enjoyed Heartless. I thought it was pretty original and I really got into caring about the characters, which was unusual for me!

Are you doing HMAD in 2013?

^ I really enjoyed Heartless as well, different, but very enjoyable. 

Dec 28 - Dagon (2001) - A couple of nice looking ladies who get nakid, but apart from that, pretty ho-hum.  2/5.  First watch.

Dec 29 - Rituals aka The Creeper (1977) - A fantastic little gem out of Canada.  It has been a long time since I last watched it, and well worth the wait.  4/5.  Rewatch.

Dec 30 - Reel Evil (2012) - Yet another found footage flick set in an abandoned mental institution, the fact that they tried to change up the plot by making it about a documentary crew filming a movie being shot there couldn't help out the effort.  Just weak.  1.5/5.  First watch.

Last edited by alien25 (2012-12-31 21:57:22)

Heartless was so cool. Like the weirdness of it.

01/01/13
--------------------
ABRAHAM LINCOLN VAMPIRE HUNTER
Vampire me likes everything about Vamps and this was a nice one.
Great atmosphere, story and acting.
H3LL how could I not like it, MARY ELIZABETH WINSTEAD!!! Love this chick so much. 9/10

02/01/13
----------------------
SCARY OR DIE
VERY Evil and creepy clown. Enough said. 8/10

I would love to do this too.
Odds are, i'd forget.

HorrorQueen17 wrote:

DG I really enjoyed Heartless. I thought it was pretty original and I really got into caring about the characters, which was unusual for me!

Are you doing HMAD in 2013?

It definitely was one of the better ones along with Midnight Son. 

I am continuing with HMAD next year.  It is harder to post now that I work more hours but I still watch my movies.

That reminds me...

Hands of the Ripper- I still have more Hammer movies to watch!   This one was about a female serial killer channeling Jack the Ripper.  And what an ending!

Dec 31 - The Pack (1977) - Another one that I haven't seen for a long time.  I remember as a kid being freaked out by the idea of a being attacked by a pack of dogs, but watching it now, it is really pretty tame by todays standards.  Still a decent flick plus, I have always liked Joe Don Baker since seeing him in Walking Tall.  3/5.  Rewatch.

Jan 1 - San Lazaro (2011) - Two estranged friends travel to the town of San Lazaro to seek the help of a faith healer in saving one of their brothers who is possessed by an evil spirit.  For a low budget flick out of the Phillipines it is okay.  It has some funny moments, but it is also pretty light on action.  3/5.  First watch.

Jan 3 - Crawlspace (2012) - After it is attacked by unknown forces, a group of elite soldiers are sent to infiltrate and extract the lead science team from Pine Gap, Australia's top secret underground military compound. Their mission is compromised when they encounter a young woman with no memory of who she is or how she came to be there. As they try to escape, the group quickly discovers that all is not as it seems and the facility has become a testing ground for something far more sinister.  A decent little flick out of Australia, hokey at times, but entertaining none the less.  3/5.  First watch.

I just want to say, mad respect to you, alien.  I would dare say you watch more horror in any given month that I do in three.  Tip of the horror-lovin' hat to you, man. smile

Thanks Lon, I appreciate that. smile
It has been fun logging all of the flicks that I have watched this last year.  Also helps to have a place that I can go back to and peruse what I have watched, cause the memory aint what it used to be, that and the fact that our Morguespaces have disappeared.  I am currently working on a list of everything that I have watched this last year.  I hope to have it posted soon.

^^^ I actually keep a close eye on your posts in this thread.  I tend to stick to stuff from the 70s and 80s, but every now and then you'll report on a flick I've not yet seen or maybe haven't heard of yet, and it goes on my list of movies to check out.  So you're actually kind of performing a service for me.  Just don't expect me to start paying you for it. big_smile

03/01/13
---------------------
THE DEAD OUTSIDE
In a Zombied out world, a guy gets in a house to escape the brain hungry undeads and finds a girl that's been living there for a while. She's got a wild backstory.
I'm a fan of UK Horror, not as much as italian's mind you but still, movies like Dog Soldier and Descent amazed me.
And this one as become one of my favorite.

Everything is wild. The story, the filming style and ESPECIALLY the acting. Man, Sandra Louise Douglas is just brilliant.

A very nice little piece of Zombie kills.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-01-04 22:25:40)