Topic: The Hammer Revival

What do you Beasts  and beauties think  of the new look Hammer Studios and it's films so far? I have managed to see all their releases so far, i have Let Me In, Wakewood and The Resident all  on Dvd .  I saw " The Woman In Black" at the cinema. in my opinion Let  Me In, Wakewood and  The Woman In Black are all 8/10's good films. The Resident is the least of the films so far but isn't that bad a 6/10 in my opinion and i don't consider it a horror film, it's more a psychological thriller.  Of the other future projects the next release is called " The Quiet Ones" which i don't know anything about, they also have a remake of " Gaslight" on the boil which is a strange choice for Hammer i think as again don't really consider that a horror film. There is of course the announced sequel to the woman in black which is to be subtitled " Angels Of Death" i am not sure about that at all, my instinct says "Why" as the original stands well enough on it's  own but will reserve judgement. just interested in what your verdicts are of the releases so far, and your opinions, the studio is very different from the old Hammer but has to be really to adapt to the times but i think they have done well so far, and wish them every success for the future.

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2012-04-04 17:28:36)

Re: The Hammer Revival

I have heard good things about Wakewood but havnt seen it yet. Let me in was great.

Haven't watched Wake Wood yet but its in my Netflix instant queue. Loved Let Me In! Haven't seen atheist Woman in Black yet either. Loved Let Me In though! big_smile

You know I love anything Hammer Wolfie!  I have seen Let Me In, The Resident, and Woman in Black so far.  They have all been good.  The Resident may not be traditional horror, but it was pretty disturbing!  I will have to find Wakewood to watch it smile

There have been rumours of Hammer resurrecting a Vampire series.  I would be game for that, if they can find someone as good as Christopher Lee to play the lead.  Supposedly they are not going to be remakes but a whole new series.

Liked Let Me In quite a bit (though I liked the original even more).  Haven't seen Wakewood, The Resident or Woman in Black yet (though I've seen the made-for-tv original and am a fan).

I can't really say I even knew this was a Hammer revival.  Hell, original Hammer Horror is my genre weakpoint; I've only seen a small handful of Hammer flicks and still have several DL'ed that I have yet to get around to. hmm

At first, I was skeptical about the hammer revival but I was impressed with Woman in Black. I wanna check out Let me in because I've only heard good things.

Only seen Wakewood so far but liked it.

I saw Let Me In and liked it. I didn't like Wake-wood that much though.

LoudLon wrote:

Liked Let Me In quite a bit (though I liked the original even more).  Haven't seen Wakewood, The Resident or Woman in Black yet (though I've seen the made-for-tv original and am a fan).

I can't really say I even knew this was a Hammer revival.  Hell, original Hammer Horror is my genre weakpoint; I've only seen a small handful of Hammer flicks and still have several DL'ed that I have yet to get around to. hmm

Lon, Have you seen Twins of Evil, Vampire Lovers, or Captain kronos yet?  I think you will like those ones smile

I love Hammer artwork though so i got this.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Tqtf07iRi68/TRNWWIUctfI/AAAAAAAAEuY/LA9xo4POQZo/s1600/The%25252BArt%25252Bof%25252BHammer.jpg

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-05-07 11:59:30)

DirtyGirl wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

Lon, Have you seen Twins of Evil, Vampire Lovers, or Captain kronos yet?  I think you will like those ones smile

IMO The Vampire Lovers and  Dracula ( horror of Dracula) (1958) are the best films hammer did. Twins Of Evil is pretty good. Captain Kronos, Vampire Hunter is ok but not a great fan of it.

Vasquez wrote:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Tqtf07iRi68/TRNWWIUctfI/AAAAAAAAEuY/LA9xo4POQZo/s1600/The%25252BArt%25252Bof%25252BHammer.jpg

Nice I have been looking for that one and the Hammer Glamour books for a while...I think they are out of print  sad

I picked this one up not that long ago...

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab101/DirtyGirlMovies/sshammerbook.jpg

moviebuff1989 wrote:

The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 1 Leaked, Watch Now - SomewhereNearUranus.gov

Reported.

Watched The woman in Black tonight. I found it pretty entertaining, I liked that they added more to the story in this update and it seemed less vague than the original. I didn't care a whole lot for some cheap jump scare scenes but they weren't as bad as some I have seen. I'd go 7/10

Yes! Very Excited!

DirtyGirl wrote:
Vasquez wrote:

Nice I have been looking for that one and the Hammer Glamour books for a while...I think they are out of print  sad

I picked this one up not that long ago...

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab101/DirtyGirlMovies/sshammerbook.jpg

Cool I have seen that book in Waterstones a few times. Looks nice.

Wasn't there another thread about this cause I could swear I said sumthin about this hammer revival crap....
I love original Hammer Horror theres nothing like it. I haven't seen any new ones yet. If I get a chance than cool but I wont buy them!

Here in Austria, there is an Mailorder, where i can get a few NOT many Hammer Films.

Its great Cinema and my favorite next to UNISVERSAL MONSTER

I got a beautiful collection of Hammer films for my birthday, including a set of full colour postcards with artwork from the films. It's gorgeous, as part of my Year of Horror I'm going to do a full week of Hammer and watch them all in chronological order