Re: What R U Reading?

I'm taking a break from the psychedelia stuff and reading an autobiography instead.

Last Words: A Memoir by George Carlin with Tony Hendra

Oh George Carlin. He is my favorite comedian...of all time!

Last edited by The Creature (2013-01-02 22:17:52)

I am on book 2 of The Strain Trilogy, The Fall.  It's an interesting spin on the Vampire mythos.  The Vampires are true monsters.  Bela Lugosi is no where to be found.

about to start Bret Hart's autobiography again.  Such an amazing book, sad yet amazing

The Archived
by Victoria Schwab

Teen Mackenzie Bishop lives a secret life as a "Keeper" in a library of the dead. Archived on shelves, the dead's "Histories" can be read, but the Keepers must prevent their escape.

I truely enjoyed this thing. Pretty surprising and very well written.

About to start reading a Laymon novel called Flesh.

Pontypool Changes Everything

Black Elk Speaks.

An indian, religious classic.

I'm currently read the Watcher by Charles Maclean. It's a pretty shocking, even disturbing, story of a man who seems to be losing touch with reality, the atrocities he commits, and his sessions with his psychologist that uses hypno therapy to attempt to unlock forgotten past traumas.

I'm a little less than half way and I'm quite enjoying it.

DirtyGirl wrote:

I am on book 2 of The Strain Trilogy, The Fall.  It's an interesting spin on the Vampire mythos.  The Vampires are true monsters.  Bela Lugosi is no where to be found.

Such a great trilogy!!!  The second book wasn't my favourite, but the first and third were amazing.  I actually felt my heart rate increase and I couldn't stop reading the book during the first one!  So well written.

I'm currently reading the Peter Criss autobiography "Make-up to Break Up".  I kind of think Criss is a little bit of a whiny baby.  And he does a lot of drugs.  But his life story is pretty interesting.  I'm almost done.  I'm excited to read something a little bit deeper.

The Walking Dead graphic novel #17

Black Elk Speaks was pretty emotional. The genocide of the American Indian is a sad story, to say the least. Also, there were a few quotes from Black Elk in there that were absolutely stunning.
"Sometimes dreams are wiser than waking."
"And while I stood there I saw more than I can tell and I understood more than I saw; for I was seeing things in a sacred manner the shapes of all things in the spirit, and the shape of all shapes as they must live together like one being."

And, my personal favorite excerpt from Black Elk's words of wisdom:
"Everything the Power of the World does is done in a circle. The sky is round, and I have heard that the earth is round like a ball, and so are all the stars. The wind, in its greatest power whirls. Birds make their nest in circles, for theirs is the same religion as ours. The sun comes forth and goes down again in a circle. The moon does the same and both are round. Even the seasons form a great circle in their changing, and always come back again to where they were. The life of a man is a circle from childhood to childhood, and so it is in everything where power moves. Our tepees were round like the nests of birds, and these were always set in a circle, the nation's hoop."

I'm now starting on "Sacred Vine of Spirits - Ayahuasca" a collection of essays that are edited by Ralph Metzner.

I finished The Watcher a little while ago, and I really enjoyed it. It's another psychological horror novel. *spoilers* The character is hypnotized and regressed past his birth to past lives. Whether these past lives are real, or just representations of the main characters subconscious is up to the reader. It's a very interesting book about past traumas and repressing memories, and the effects thereof. Or I guess it could be a story about someone who is reborn over and over only to attempt to fix a past mistake from an earlier life. It ends very ambiguously too. Overall a great read, and highly recommended.

I've been holding off on starting a new book since I'm waiting for an order from Dark Regions, just been seshing some comics lately. Though William Hope Hodgson's House on the Borderlands arrived in the mail today so I may start that.

thedeadshallrule wrote:

The Walking Dead graphic novel #17

How are the comics? There's so many now I'm almost to overwhelmed to start. But I've heard it's much better than the series.

I started at the beginning with the comics and fell in love with all of the characters and situations.
So my initial character loyalty stays with the comics. I have the graphic novels 1 through 17.
The show keeps within  the initial character boundaries but expands as only a horror show can. Plus the show introduces new wonderful characters like Daryl Dixon, brilliant. I walked into the comic store for the first time in a looong while and was amazed by all the expensive single Walking Dead Comics lined around the top shelf of the room. dang

Got back into the 30 Days Of Night graphic novels series yesterday and I really enjoy it. Especially the Dead Space episode. Brilliant drawings. Easier to understand why Boyle fell in love with this.

Fang. tongue

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-01-20 14:40:24)

Decided to read back what for me is the best Graphic Novel EVER along with Sky-Doll.
The story's dude is a dimensions traveler so each one is an adventure into one of these. There's a few characters that follow him all the 7 books like a detective, Cromwell Stone which is totally great.

The most amazing thing really and the reason why I like it soooo fucking much are the drawings. His hatching style is just outta this wolrd, Andreas rules!!!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdsoldhlHq1rhjbado1_500.jpg

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-01-20 14:43:37)

That is some stunning comic art.

I just started House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson. So far I'm enoying it, though I'm not too far. Hodgson has a descriptive yet fluid style of writing that flows very naturally while being suitably creepy at the same time. So far I would say it seems comparable to Robert E. Howard's horror stories.

Last edited by Theli (2013-01-22 06:45:51)

The Best Of Cemetery Dance

Four Color Fear: Forgotten horror comics of the 50's.

I read a couple of collections from Lester Bangs.  A stand-out story was an interview he was granted with Lou Reed, who, let's face it, hated giving interviews.  Lester Bangs got his goat like no one I've seen. really entertaining.

Hollowland by Amanda Hocking good, fast, zombie apoc read I thoroughly enjoyed it. 5/5

Become What You Are by Alan Watts

I'm about 50 pages in...absolutely astounding material.

After watching for like the 10, 000th time the Evil Dead remake trailer, I got my old copy of Lovecraft's Necronomicon. Still one of the best books I've ever read. It's just way too insanely awesome!!! Enjoy it everytime I get back into it. Have this one since like what, 10-15 years maybe.

Studies in Terror by Jonathan Rigby.

Still reading 'Grotesque' by Natsuo Kirino
The internet is distracting me hmm

To me it's all the other things distracting me from the internet. lol

Read a new Spawn comic I got a few days ago. I love Spawn, my favorite of them all.