Topic: 1980s low budget Voodoo Horror movie

Around 1984 I saw a low budget, b/w horror film set in a decaying mansion in Louisiana. I remember thinking it was just going to be stupid until it actually started terrifying my friends and I. I have tried to recall this movie in the past few years but with no luck. Anybody have any idea what movie this might be?

Thanks!

Re: 1980s low budget Voodoo Horror movie

So is the movie from the 80s or a black and white oldie?

If the movie you are looking for came out in the 80s it could be The Serpent and the Rainbow

If you are looking for an older film then give I Walked With A Zombie a look-see

Right, I'm just gonna throw this out there buuut... the opening sequence of Lucio Fulci's 'The Beyond' is in b&w (sepia actually) and takes place in a crumbling old Louisianna mansion, plus it would fit the timeframe you watched it.

Could also be Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte.

Fulcento wrote:

Right, I'm just gonna throw this out there buuut... the opening sequence of Lucio Fulci's 'The Beyond' is in b&w (sepia actually) and takes place in a crumbling old Louisianna mansion, plus it would fit the timeframe you watched it.

This is also what I thought it could be.

LoudLon wrote:

Could also be Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte.

Oh yeah...I forgot about that one.  Great movie.  Reminds me of Whatever Happened to Babyjane.  Joan Crawford and Bette Davis were good together.

^^^ Lots of similarities between the two, not the least of which being they had the same director. wink

Thanks for all the replies.  It was definitely in the early 80s as i remember who I watched it with and we were hanging out during that period.  Maybe I am confusing the entire movie as b/w when it was only the opening.  I guess my memory could be playing tricks.  I just remember us going, expecting yet another typical horror movie, not being encouraged by the low production values and all coming out quite surprised at how effective it turned out to be. 

It was definitely later than 1981 though and so I wonder if it just took longer to reach my small southern town.

edit: I looked up The Beyond and see that it was released in the US in 1983.  I think it must be the one!

Thanks again!

Last edited by lizardflix (2013-01-06 00:39:02)

And score another win for HM.

You're welcome Lizard - glad I could help. smile