Re: Asian horror cinema

^^
First time I've seen it happen.  I tried changing the settings on my TV, but it just must have been converted incorrectly.  Weird.

i know this is old and im probably wrong on the genre of this but why isnt The Vengeance Trilogy being suggested, theyre all great, especially oldboy... definitely must watch

Rampo Noir  is nice one from Asian movies.

xombii13 wrote:

i know this is old and im probably wrong on the genre of this but why isnt The Vengeance Trilogy being suggested, theyre all great, especially oldboy... definitely must watch

They didn't really feel like horror to me, though they definitely have elements of it in the films. I haven't seen Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, but the first two are amazing flicks.

There is a good documentary about Asian horror on youtube called True Asian Horror (2007) I believe would interest you Theli. Includes Japanese 1's but also cover's other countries.

HorrorQueen17 wrote:

Shutter is Thai and I thought it was pretty good, good storyline & some great jumps & scares

I agree with ya HQ I like Shutter alot. It was awesomely well done imo.... the remake like usual sucks. Do not watch the remake. If you want to see Shutter make sure it's the original!

Ebola Syndrome is a cool HK flick with humour

Audition - from Korea - not sure if it was mentioned already, I might have missed it above, but it's a must see film

Others that I was thinking of are already told

DemonToSome wrote:

Audition - from Korea - not sure if it was mentioned already, I might have missed it above, but it's a must see film

Audition is japanese but certainly a must

DemonToSome wrote:

Audition is japanese but certainly a must

I thought it was Korean with a little tinge of Japanese

DemonToSome wrote:

Either way she is cute.lol. And sorry mods, my post got doubled somehow

Hey Xytras
where you live are you Asian? Your avatar is for sure but are you?

Xytras wrote:
DemonToSome wrote:

Either way she is cute.lol. And sorry mods, my post got doubled somehow

Dont worry about the double post

you and me are worth it, at least so far LOL ha

hey don't get me wrong but, are you Asian or are you from one of the other countries that scatter this little planet we have to spend our whole life on? smile

DemonToSome wrote:

hey don't get me wrong but, are you Asian or are you from one of the other countries that scatter this little planet we have to spend our whole life on? smile

No I am not asian,  but east European by background that somehow ended up with Canadian citizenship lol

And lets see, I like Asian food, Asian girls and I loooove asian horror, guess that makes me an asian admirer

Last edited by Xytras (2013-01-10 00:47:16)

Xytras wrote:
DemonToSome wrote:

No I am not asian,  but east European by background that somehow ended up with Canadian citizenship lol

And lets see, I like Asian food, Asian girls and I loooove asian horror, guess that makes me an asian admirer

Sweet lets join hands a celebrate us canucks who have ancesters from the other place lol my ancesters were vikings at least during a fuckin fuck u time and I'M PROUD to be a ancester from there.

Thanks for letting us know you aren't an asian cause your avatar definitely makes me think that... but ya I know look at mine.. I died while my daughter kept me flowin in the wind!!

I love Asians, too, and I have a half-Asian daughter to prove it. big_smile

Nice Lon.... so when are ya gonna show us naked pics of your EX? hehe

Don't have any nudie pics of my ex but if I did, brother, you could have 'em.  She was a hottie back in the day, but I wouldn't have any emotional attachment to them. lol

Well forget it than man.... I only would want them if me havening them would torture your poor soul to the point of no return, then I can thank you very much for the cute pics...

It'd be tough to torture me with my ex, because that would necessitate me having to care -- and I don't. lol

You just made me a happy man thats all I gotta say at the moment big_smile

you guys crack me up!

Some more for the list:

Bloody Reunion (2006)
Sector 7 (2011)
Tell Me Something (2000)
The Guard from the Underground (1992)
Epitaph (2007)
Cheuuat gaawn chim aka The Meat Grinder (2009)
Visitor Q (2001)
Million Dollar Crocodile (2012)
Doomsday Book (2012)
Cold Fish (2010)

^^

Can't believe that you mentioned Tell Me Something (2000). What an awesome piece of korean horror/thriller. The way they mix those two together is just incredible. It's pity that Hollywood does not succeed at those very often save for Seven, Silence of the lambs and couple of others.

Along the same lines I would recommend The Chaser (2008) and No Mercy (Yongseoneun Eupda) 2010. And already mentioned I Saw The Devil.

Also I have noticed that that generally on this board asian horror does no get too much love and/or respect mostly probably due to its obscurity. Since I am not too sure about forum rules here, I want to ask Mods if it would be OK to do some weekly mini-reviews on well known and  some not well known pieces of Asian cinema. All horror of course. Cheers.