Re: The Science-y Stuff Thread

^^
That is some awesome stuff.  And it has a super monkey!

6. Spray-On Skin

8. Stem Cells Could Extend Human Life by Over 100 Years

12. Custom Jaw Transplant Created With 3-D Printer

18. Flexible, Inexpensive Solar Panels Challenge Fossil Fuel

20. Eye Implants Give Sight to the Blind

Awesome.

azathoth wrote:

^^
Considering the stuff we do on Skype and Thor/God/Loki/Allah/Yahweh hasn't struck us down, I think we're cool by them.  Vishnu seems displeased, though.  Shrug.

Be careful AZ my friend, I'm warning you about his wrath that can spread like fire yet... My Viking Fathers Gods know where you are at , you can't escape the the Hammer... they will get you whether its by black metal or a lightning bolt, you are branded my friend!!

How awesome is this?!

The largest known structure in the universe was found today, which measures 1.6 billion light-years in most of its directions, and 4 billion light-years across at its widest point.
http://www.space.com/19220-universe-lar … vered.html

It just took them a long time to make a telescope that could fit my entire biceps into the field, lol .

I wonder if this has anything relation to the Great Attractor?

Hey Creature, have you seen that MIT is offering all of its course materials for free?

You can see the full list here.  Obviously, the actual textbooks and software is not free (in most cases), but it does have a ton of other stuff.

azathoth wrote:

Hey Creature, have you seen that MIT is offering all of its course materials for free?

You can see the full list here.  Obviously, the actual textbooks and software is not free (in most cases), but it does have a ton of other stuff.

I have not, thanks for bringing that to my attention, Azzy. I see a lot of 'Buy From Amazon' options, but there's a bunch of PDFs there too. Neat...bookmarking it.

^^
I think the Amazon links are for the actual texts, whereas the PDFs are probably the professor notes.  I plan on checking out some of the stuff myself.

Hey, the Earth has mini-moons that "stop by for a pint."  And then take off again.  Earth is the solar system's local bar!

Fascinating!  As long as they don't drink too much at the pub and take out a continent on the ride home. ....Looking at you Russian meteor....you know what you did...

I'm loving this thread!  Here's an interesting fact that still blows my mind to this day:

Did you know whales evolved from a dog-like LAND mammal called Pakicetus?! 

I've always thought life evolved from sea to land, but in this case evolution went from sea to land, thought fk this shit I'm going back to sea!  tongue Amazing!

^^
Apparently dolphins did the same thing; they have 5 "fingers" inside their fins.  Therefore, dolphins are... aquatic monkeys!  Woot!

https://sites.google.com/site/vervemonkeyproject/Home/images/web-images/snow_monkey.jpg

Yah, dolphins and whales are from the same ancestors.  Along with most other sea mammals.

What meaning do you guys take from this quote: "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Its my favorite quote, and it's meaning is profound to me...

JaySee wrote:

Yah, dolphins and whales are from the same ancestors.  Along with most other sea mammals.

What meaning do you guys take from this quote: "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Its my favorite quote, and it's meaning is profound to me...

Because we are all made of the same 'stuff' as the rest of the universe, and because we are conscious, sentient beings, we can question the cosmos  - and thus, it can be said, we are questioning ourselves and our very own existence because we ARE the cosmos, too. We are just as much the universe as the stars and the planets far, far beyond our tiny home.

Keep forgetting about this kick ass thread.

azathoth, yeah saw that stuff about the mini Moons and that Moon planet Gaia orbiting friend lover I am found it uttercool. Hopefully one will crash so we can learn more about the creation of our system.
Sea monkeys HAHAHA...

JaySee, yes that's nice. Even us, we were reptiles hence our reptilian brain still stuck in our heads.
They probably were forced to get in the water for whatever reasons, predators most likely.

We are a cosmos. Cosmos is made of rotating atoms too but at a larger scale so it's like this dude's saying we still have a lot to do to completely understand everything, we don't even know how our cells work. I'm sure that the day we'll know about 50% of what's to know about us, the Cosmos will change totally.

I see it that way: We have galaxies in ourselves, we're made of stars. smile

My good friend Curiosity had problems with memory issues on hia main computer. Good thing he has a second one. They're working on the problem now. I like this Rover. BEST EVER!!!
https://twitter.com/MarsCuriosity/statu … 3882087425

Curiosity, the anthropomorphic rover from Mars! I love that little guy.

Also, I just discovered this article and thought it was mighty interesting:
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/sc … enportals/

I'm bewildered, as usual.
Hopefully NASA's Magnetospheric Multiscale Mission goes successful in 2014, because I'd like to find out more about these 'X Points' in relation to our planet's climate and the possibility of demonstrating that these X Points may be (hypothetically) utilized for human/animal transportation (however very unlikely that is - a man can still ponder).

From what I can tell on a few quick reads, it's a cross of magnetic fields that create a "highway" for particles between the sun and earth.  Like the coronal loops you see on the sun.  The sun is always putting out particles, but when 2 end of a magnetic field connect, you get the huge loops projecting out of the sun.  With a magnetic field pushing the particles, they go faster than just wandering aimlessly in vacuum.

So if you connect the earth's and sun's magnetic fields, you have a much faster transfer of particles between the two.

Or I'm completely misunderstanding the whole concept.

Wildly interesting this is.
Makes me think about the Earth/Moon elevator they're working on. I already have my ticket. lol

As I was watching G. I. Joe, I did a search for these exoskeletons kits the army has and this stuff is just way too cool.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … ength.html

Anyone seen the comet pass by??? Was very cool. Got my telescope out and watched it. Very nice.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-03-09 21:25:43)

azathoth wrote:

From what I can tell on a few quick reads, it's a cross of magnetic fields that create a "highway" for particles between the sun and earth.  Like the coronal loops you see on the sun.  The sun is always putting out particles, but when 2 end of a magnetic field connect, you get the huge loops projecting out of the sun.  With a magnetic field pushing the particles, they go faster than just wandering aimlessly in vacuum.

So if you connect the earth's and sun's magnetic fields, you have a much faster transfer of particles between the two.

Or I'm completely misunderstanding the whole concept.

I'm surely not the most scientifically literate (I'm more of a casual, but curious observer of science who seeks to be literate but isn't quite there yet) so I may not be fully understanding the article's linking of science fiction portals and the real-life X Points. I'm under the impression that these highways of uninterrupted space by which these particles travel are openings in physical space/time. So it's a matter of entering the points, and coming out the other end, rather than actually traveling.

I'm indefinitely wrong about that aren't I? big_smile

So then, with that assumption established, I thought, if we weren't dealing with microphysics, could we put a decently large, physical object into an X Point (Given that one opened and something was there to allow the object inside) in order to transport it to the 'other side' of the X Point (or where the particles are supposedly traveling to; from Earth to the sun).

Guess they didn't actually mean a real portal, per se? tongue

^^
Everything I've read is just too vague to figure out what they're trying to convey.  I'm wondering if they "dumbed" it down for more casual viewing, or if they don't even know what's going on.  "Electron diffusion zones" sounds like it's encroaching on quantum effects.

They could be talking about kumquat-raisin torpedoes for all I know, lol .

^ Beats me! The vagueness allows for much more unreasonable speculation though, so at least it works for entertainment. Maybe if they expanded on the concept and provided further details...

Atoms act vaguely all the time...
Ever seen the experience they did with a plate and slices in it???
The way the atoms went through is weird. But the weirder is that when they started filming, they were acting a total different way, as if they realized they were filmed.

Now that is pretty damn vague how the H3LL can you explain this. By using vague words. Or not. lol

Ahhh the beauty of Quantum Physics.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-03-10 00:37:29)

This is freaking amazingly cool.

ESA wrote:

Cameras designed for capturing black holes are now exploring a new frontier: they are helping us to get up close to viruses on Earth, opening the door to solving medical problems.

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Techn … ny_viruses

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-03-11 23:29:44)

^^
This is why I disagree on the "space projects have no use" crowd.  Check out this huge list of things that were derived from space exploration.  Sure, a bunch don't have everyday uses, but things like insulin pumps, oil spill cleanup, and solar panel tech seems rather important to many people.