Topic: Justified

who saw tonights episode? If so, did it rock the house or what?!

Re: Justified

Yup yup!  Excellent show in general but tonight's had a lot going on.  Neal McDunnough as Quarles continues to surprise me.  Dude's going off the deep-end and I can't wait for his inevitable showdown with Raylan.

you got that shit right. Quarles is going way down. funny thing is, I have a feeling he may bounce back and redeem himself somehow, but I could be wrong.

I can't believe he shot that cop at the end. He was drawn down on him and Quarles was bent down with no gun in hand.

Yeah, that Sheriff and Raylan are old pals so you know Raylan's going to be itching for some payback. 

Incidentally, the actor playing that Sheriff character was in the flick Body Parts as the guy who loses his legs.

LoudLon wrote:

Yeah, that Sheriff and Raylan are old pals so you know Raylan's going to be itching for some payback. 

Incidentally, Timothy Olyphant makes a Body Part of mine twitch, not saying which part.

Um yeah he's a good actor.

Got around to the season finale.  Um, I sure as shiite wasn't expecting that with Quarrels.  Anyone else see some logistical issues with the money storage facility?

^^^ LOVED what went down with Quarrels.  Absolutely did not see that coming.  In a weird way, I liked that it kind of built up a showdown between Quarrels and Raylan, where Quarrels might have the edge with this spring-loaded wrist pistol; you know how Raylan likes to duel, and not being aware of it would give Quarrels an edge, and had me wondering "How's Raylan going to deal with that?"  Instead, there was no duel.  They pulled the rug out from under us and had what happened happen instead (trying to stay vague so as not to spoil it for anyone who's not seen it).  My mom was here for this last episode (she's the one who turned me on to the show in the first place) and we both were like "WHOA!" and slapped our hands over our mouths in gleeful shock.  Man, what a great, great show.

Azzie, to answer your question, I thought it was kind of ingenious.  I know there's a question of "but if the money was hidden there, wouldn't Limehouse's men know about it?"  Yes, they would, and I don't think he was worried about hiding it from them because his men knew better than to ever cross him (aside from the one who actually did try to cross him, but was quickly put in his place).  No, he was hiding it from Dickie and Boyd and any other cracker who might come wandering into Nobles Holler in search of it, hence the perpetuated rumor that it was buried under the church, when in fact he was hiding it in plain sight.

Interesting thing about Nobles Holler; in the show, it's an area where blacks have settled in for generations, preferring to mind their own business and keep whites out.  Where I was born, and currently live, in Hazard, KY -- which is pretty much the same area as that in Justified -- years and years ago there was an area called "Nigger Holler," a name given to it by the blacks who lived there themselves.  To hear my mom tell it, nobody in this part of Kentucky -- primarily coal mining territory -- were really aware that "nigger" was supposed to be a derogatory term.  She says everybody, the blacks included, simply assumed that calling a black person a "nigger" was like calling an Anglo person "white."  She said all the blacks called the area Nigger Holler, and a lot of them adopted the term into their names/nicknames.  To this I can attest, as I occasionally see an old black guy around town who refers to himself as "Nigger Bob" and does so with the kind of unknowing and unassuming grin that makes you think, "This guy doesn't know that's a bad word!" lol

Anyway, I like this show so much because it rings so true of the area and the people.  And it's no coincidence that the major criminal pursuit in the show is pills; they are a MAJOR problem in my area.  I'm ashamed to say that even my favorite aunt is in on it; not a user, but as a supplier, though she's the first one to deflect suspicion by condemning and badmouthing as "dope heads" the very people she helps supply oxy to.  Which is why I rarely endeavor to associate with her, let alone anyone else up and down the road I live on.

Lon, I PM'ing you about the storage device.

BUMP.

Season 4 has now started.  Discuss!

I see Lon the Loud is on top of things, big_smile .

Nice strong intro episode.  New bad guy (maybe, not convinced yet), new drug, furries (didn't see that coming), and I can't wait to see how the bag and the church angles work out.

Would be interesting if Constable Bob had some more, smaller, parts where he grew more competent over time.

^^^ I read a couple months back Patton Oswald was joining the cast and the first thing I thought was "Please don't make him comic relief...Oswald is ALWAYS comic relief...let it be a straight part."

Well, turns out, he kind of is comic relief -- to an extent.  But I'm okay with that since they also included mention of him having a backstory involving his potential for violence.  Hopefully that means we'll get to see Patton Oswald kick a little ass later on down the line.

VUDU has all the seasons on sale for I think 17 bucks for each season.  Would be the best time to start because I've heard NOTHING but positive things about this show.

^^
Lon got me hooked a season (2?) and 1/2 ago.  You won't regret watching.

azathoth wrote:

^^
You won't regret watching.

True dat.  You will definitely not be disappointed.

S4/E3-

Interesting epi, not much action, good bunch of story development.  No big surprises except for Raylan saving the county from a monkey terrorist with a suitcase nuke.

Best mini-conversation-
Rachel- "How many times have you reprimanded Wyatt Earp here [Raylan]?" after getting a reprimand.
Art- "Well he's just a lost cause.  I have to focus on you."

Last edited by azathoth (2013-01-22 23:23:24)

^^^ I am totally going to read the hidden spoiler...after I watch the ep.  It'll be finished downloading in about fifteen minutes. big_smile

^^
It's not a spoiler per se, I just didn't want to spoil the punch line for you.  Let me know what you think.

Yeah, good episode.  Really looking forward to the inevitable showdown between Raylan and his girl's ex-husband, the fist-fighter.  There were actually several memorable lines this ep, but I think my favorite was Raylan referencing the movie The Dead Zone when talking to the lady psychic. lol

s4/e5-
Neat episode.  Had a bunch of plot points going on.

Best line-
"Oh, my goodness."
(Don't worry, no spoiler there, but I think you'll like it.)

great episode last night. loved it. Gerald McRaney. YES.

Yeah, really good episode last night, though I think they've exaggerated the idea of "hill people."  I should know -- I'm from a whole family of them. lol  Still, good stuff going on.  Totally did not see the thing with the FBI guy coming, and thought it was hilarious how Wynn Duffy just sat there like, "Okay..."

Good stuff tonight from the "foot" puns in the beginning to **the blowtorch scene.**  Interesting ending, didn't see that coming.

Every episode, as it should, features some act of violence for Raylan to react non-chalantly to, and the blowtorch bit was tonight's.  Loved his expression; wasn't afraid at all, just kind of "Well, now..." lol

Dug that final bit, too.  Didn't see that coming either.

Episode from 2/19/13-

OK, things are getting interesting.  Boyd is getting into some weird stuff.  Wonder how he's gonna take it.  ** Raylan does his "I'm just gonna fuck you up like no one's business while chillin' right here." **

Can't believe it took me nearly a week to get around to it.  Tomorrow's epi looks like is should be really good.

Haven't seen previews for tomorrow night's episode, but last week's had a couple crucial moments, the most shocking for me being Raylan saying bluntly he basically can't wait for Arlo to die.  It's a major point in the series that there's no love lost between the two and Raylan knows his father's a no good piece of shit criminal, but I do believe that's the first time he's ever come right out and said he couldn't care less if the man's dead.  It wasn't a big moment in the show, just the exiting line of one scene, and kind of a throw-away line at that, but I can't help but think that it's going to flavor Arlo's actions in the future.