Topic: When your movie expectations are crushed

I am sure everyone can name a movie that you treat almost as a second coming of Christ before even watching it thanks to previews, articles and such. And then....boom, not what you hoped for. Let's discuss those "masterpieces" shall we.

To me in 2012 such movie was Cabin In The Woods. From anywhere that I read before seeing it, folks were treating Cabin as nothing short of horror revolution. And its not that the movie was bad, it just I pressed a stop button with distinct sigh of desperation of "So What?". Bunch of kids go deep into the woods and get slaughtered. I think I've seen it somewhere......ummm maybe two hundred times before. And then that so called twist at the end. Give me a break. I think it ruined otherwise OK slasher rather than helped it. The end result is a mix of Evil Dead and The Truman Show that to me did not work well at all.

Then there is another Korean flick with a word masterpiece attached to it often: A Tale Of Two Sisters. As much as I am a fan of Asian horror, the movie was a letdown to me. Great idea but poor execution. Believe it or not I actually prefer a Hollywood remake The Uninvited.

Those to me were major disappointments of a past decade or so. What's yours?

Re: When your movie expectations are crushed

hear hear with the "Cabin In The Woods" comments. i am completely flummexed by this film! while not complete rubbish it isn't in my opinion anywhere near " A great classic". completely mystified by it's popularity. also feel like wise although to a lesser extent about " The Woman" and another one i don't see what everybody harps on about is " Martyrs" all average at best in my opinion.

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2013-01-12 11:28:33)

I really didn't see the fuss over Martyrs on my first watch but on my second I freakin loved it (10/10).

I really wasn't impressed by Phantasm. let down on watching that since its so highly praised in quite a few quarters.

Last edited by Vasquez (2013-01-12 12:32:07)

wolfman1959 wrote:

hear hear with the "Cabin In The Woods" comments. i am completely flummexed by this film! while not complete rubbish it isn't in my opinion anywhere near " A great classic". completely mystified by it's popularity. also feel like wise although to a lesser extent about " The Woman" and another one i don't see what everybody harps on about is " Martyrs" all average at best in my opinion.

OUCH! You hit a soft spot with Martyrs. Easily top ten on my list of all time. But to each its own I guess.

Prometheus

I don't want to talk about it.

Agree with Cabin In The Wood's aswell. Im afraid to say that I don't get the fuss over Suspiria either. Great visuals but everything else makes it a chore to get through. I like Black Sabbath a lot more but never see it on Greatest Horror lists whereas Suspiria always is.

(Not horror) Not crushed, but compared to all the hype, The Dark Knight Rises left me feeling disappointed.

I liked Prometheus, but it wasn't the Alien prequel I had hoped for.

Like Vasquez said, I saw Suspiria to be average - some nice visuals, but I couldn't connect to it. Might watch it again.

When a horror movie gets praised, and I haven't watch it yet, it does get me excited. For several reasons: I love horror films (duh), it's difficult to find one that is so good you add it to your dvd collection, at age 50 it's difficult to find one that is original.

When a horror film gets praised/hyped it's a good thing. That tells me it's got something going on about it that a majority of people like. Which gives me something to look forward to. Personally, I really enjoyed Martyrs & CITW. But as mentioned by others, they didn't. And that's o.k.  A recent movie: V.H.S. is another film that was just o.k, to me. Then again, others really liked it.

I try not to buy into the hype these days. I've been let down way to many times buying into the hype, and then let down. Plus, everyone has their own opinion about what they like and dislike. What one person likes;  may not be my cup-o-tea.  I no longer set myself up to " get crushed" when a horror movie that I'm looking forward to doesn't give me my bang for the buck.

I was dissapointed with Ghost Rider 2. A demon with a flaming skull that rides a motorcycle, how do you screw that up?!

Ditto for me on Ghost Rider 2. V/H/S wasn't a complete letdown,
but it came damn close for me. 
  Sinister was ok...but the trailers really had me expecting alot more.  Prometheus had me SMH...I mean...what ever happened to Ridley Scott??? He used to be such a great director...

About 5 years ago I was working for Fujitsu in merchandising - I loved my time there as I got to spend it with a top friend who was also as keen on horror films as I. When the news came around that Nightmare on Elm Street was gonna be remade we shat our collective pants!!! We spoke about nothing else for about twelve months and... even though everyone knew Englund wouldn't be reprising his role as Freddy I was on tenterhooks every bloody day until I finally got my grubby little mitts on the film.

I bought a crate of Stella Artois, ordered a meat feast special from me local pizzeria, skinned up a couple of spliffs and... what ensued was the biggest disappointment of my entire fucking life. I fell asleep after about twenty minutes.

I've tried to watch it since yet can't stay awake long enough, seriously, it has this soporific affect on me. I fucking loathe this fucking film. Not that I've ever made it past the hour mark without zonking out.

^^^ Ditto on ANOES '10.  I knew better than to get excited but allowed myself to anyway, solely based on the actors.  Jackie Earl Haley, Clancy Brown and Connie Britton.  I thought wow, they're really going all out for this one, and with the radical advancement of visual FX since the last Elm Street flick, I was expecting a true visual delight.  Instead I thought it turned out to be just another interminable Platinum Dunes crapfest, easily interchangeable with pretty much every other PD slasher flick remake. 

I loved The Cabin in the Woods the first time I saw it.  I remember calling it an allegory for the creative process of a horror writer.  It was the second time I watched it when I started asking questions and noticing plot holes, inconsistincies and contradictions.  I still think it's an above average horror flick, an original twist on an old familiar premise, but I certainly don't think it holds up on repeated viewings.

Martyrs was another one I was excited to see and really looking forward to, and I was really into the first half's brutal revenge storyline.  It was the sudden shift in plot midway through that sank it for me, though.  The gore didn't bother me at all (once you've see one skinned chick in a horror movie, you've seen 'em all) but there are few things more annoying to me than a horror films which claims to have a message, only for that message to be unclear, clumsy and limp.

Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 was a HUGE letdown for me.  I'm one of the few who felt he did a fantastic job with his Halloween remake, so I was naturally pysched for the sequel.  But my god...was a massive, massive misfire.  It's an ugly film -- from tone to performances to violence and even to the way the movie itself looks -- which almost seemed as if it was trying to punish you for enjoying Zombie's previous Halloween flick.  A mean, nasty, depressing movie with not a single saving grace.  The only thing I liked about it was Brad Dourif, who was the only actor in the entire movie who made the effort to make his character appear sympathetic.  I ranked this one, along with Friday the 13th '09, as two of the absolute worst horror films that year.

Oh, and since I brought it up, I had a feeling from the get-go that Friday the 13th '09 was going to be a massive, white dog turd of a movie.  And it was, so it totally met my expectations. lol

^^^

Guess that's why I am drawn to Martyrs so much, variety of styles and moods.

I agree with Lon about Rob Zombie's Halloween. Really like the first. Second was meh.

Fulcento wrote:

About 5 years ago I was working for Fujitsu in merchandising - I loved my time there as I got to spend it with a top friend who was also as keen on horror films as I. When the news came around that Nightmare on Elm Street was gonna be remade we shat our collective pants!!! We spoke about nothing else for about twelve months and... even though everyone knew Englund wouldn't be reprising his role as Freddy I was on tenterhooks every bloody day until I finally got my grubby little mitts on the film.

I bought a crate of Stella Artois, ordered a meat feast special from me local pizzeria, skinned up a couple of spliffs and... what ensued was the biggest disappointment of my entire fucking life. I fell asleep after about twenty minutes.

I've tried to watch it since yet can't stay awake long enough, seriously, it has this soporific affect on me. I fucking loathe this fucking film. Not that I've ever made it past the hour mark without zonking out.

I remember being excited to see this one too.  My son and I watched the whole franchise again just before we went to see it in the theatre on opening day!  I remember getting angry at the part where they explained Freddy's past.  Why do remakes always feel the need to explain what happened to the killer when he was younger?  They did it in Halloween,  Black Xmas, and NOES.  Who cares really?  In fact it makes the character less scary for me.  When we were done watching NOES, we just sat there looking at each other.  I said well did you like it?  He said no the old one was better...  hehe 

Now having said that...I am seriously looking forward to the new Evil Dead.  The trailers look gory as hell and supposedly there is no CGI involved!  I guess we won't know the truth until we see it right?

I was originally crushed by the Night of the Demons remake.  But after a re-watch, I was OK with it.  Besides that, I can't think of any others that crushed me.

Massive reason for not reading reviews.

I was disappointed by the original Halloween. Before joining horror groups I hadn't seen it. Not for lack of trying mind. It was forever being described as the best horror movie to exist. But for me it was boring.

The hills have eyes (Aja 2006) was the biggest waste of time for me. Over hyped, over done shock for shocks sake. It would have been good if it wasn't for the rediculous lactation scene with the screaming baby. Not against babies in horror or anything but it felt like a shock tactic to me and I cba with all that.

Cat o nine tails. Love it but it was just flat compared to others before and after it.

Kill List. A certain other horror site and various forums described it as the best brit horror in years. The best thing since Dog Soldiers and I am forever being urged to rewatch it. I might yet, maybe I did miss the point but on first viewing it was cack.

Btw. I love Martyrs. big_smile

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

Prometheus

I don't want to talk about it.

I second that...for me Scott tried to make what should have been a simple prequel story far to elaborate. Way of base from what I was expecting/hopeing for. Still, I dont hate it, it was well done in most areas.

I never expect anything so I'm never crushed.

I'm never disapointed either. I like them ALL.

Aside that monumental crap Exsorcist.
Heh.

that's another one "Dog Soldiers" don't get why everybody loves that. extremly average to me.

I loved Dog Soldiers because it was pretty darkly humorous and really worked for  me big_smile

Punk: that's how I try to be but I will admit I am stupidly excited for Evil Dead remake so hoping it isn't a let down.

I just can't trust the Evil Dead remake for now, to be fair. I don't know...I just can't see it turning out well though the great trailers so far.

wolfman1959 wrote:

that's another one "Dog Soldiers" don't get why everybody loves that. extremly average to me.

Dog Soldiers average??? Wow, hard to please.
No, wait sorry true, we all have different tastes. True, forgot. lol

Yeah UltraViolence, that's what I'm the most looking forward too this year. The trailers are freaking insanely awesome.

And Scavengitator, when I like a trailer I ALWAYS LOOOVE the movie. Been like that all my life and I don't see it changing anyday.

@Lon - yeah - I too thought that Jackie Earl Haley was gonna pull off a masterstroke as Freddy and I still believe he could have done justice to Englund's iconic character but he was working with an absolute stinker of a script and PD's production was utterly hopeless. That blue filter that was placed over the lens just sent me to sleep. I was with you all the way, H2 is balls and I too liked Zombie's H1 but then you went on to mealy mouth Martyrs. Now I want nothing to do with you after such a blasphemous comment! I love Martyrs you bloody heathen you! big_smile

@DG - Ouch, I'd have demanded my money back if I'd had had the displeasure of watching the remake in the cinema - nice to know your boy has good taste though and knows a shit film when he sees one! big_smile
Yeah, I'll admit the Evil Dead trailer looks bloody fantastic and I'm as excited as a kid on Christmas morning to see it, but I was dead excited about said NOES from its trailer so I'll reserve judgement until I watch the damn film this time! Once bitten, twice shy haha! big_smile

If I'm a heathen, it's for worse reasons than not liking Martyrs -- which reasons exactly, however, I shall refrain from listing. lol

PS, Wolfie -- I didn't like Dog Soldiers, either.