Re: Asian horror cinema

Does Tokyo Gore Police rings any bells to you???

Now that is an awesome one.

Have I mentioned we're doing Crazy Asian Horror as the March Movie Night?

Candidates are Mystics of Bali, The Seventh Curse, Eternal Evil of Asia, Momoiro Clover Shirome, and maybe a few others Golem is looking into.

kXnPunk wrote:

Yes it does. Fairly enjoyable flick. And a lead actress is a same chick from infamous Audition. What an exquisite beauty. OK now I am going off topic. lol

Xytras wrote:

^^

Can't believe that you mentioned Tell Me Something (2000). What an awesome piece of korean horror/thriller. The way they mix those two together is just incredible. It's pity that Hollywood does not succeed at those very often save for Seven, Silence of the lambs and couple of others.

Along the same lines I would recommend The Chaser (2008) and No Mercy (Yongseoneun Eupda) 2010. And already mentioned I Saw The Devil.

Also I have noticed that that generally on this board asian horror does no get too much love and/or respect mostly probably due to its obscurity. Since I am not too sure about forum rules here, I want to ask Mods if it would be OK to do some weekly mini-reviews on well known and  some not well known pieces of Asian cinema. All horror of course. Cheers.

Yup, The Chaser is a good one, haven't seen No Mercy yet but have added it to my list.

You may not see Asian titles mentioned as often as mainstream stuff, but there are quite a few of us around here that really dig the Asian stuff. I think that it is more a function of availability to most folks, with some of the Asian titles being harder to come by and others not as readily available as mainstream stuff.  But for example, I saw the Devil, Bedeviled and Cold Fish, all favorites of mine, are some of the recent entrires that have recieved a lot of love around here.

A couple of more, both out of the Philippines, The Road (2011) and San Lazaro (2011).

Hahaha yeah indeed. She's sublime.
Like the one in Vampire Girl VS Frankenstein Girl. Yukie Kawamura, she pretty cute too.
Great film too BTW.

Xytras wrote:

Since I am not too sure about forum rules here, I want to ask Mods if it would be OK to do some weekly mini-reviews on well known and  some not well known pieces of Asian cinema.

Of course.  We encourage reviews and contributions in general from the members here.  You can submit reviews here:

http://www.horror-movies.ca/write-horror-review/

smile

Oh H3LL yeah, thanks for reminding me of that page, went there only once when I first discovered HM. You have my sincere thumbsness all the way UP Lord  LoudLon.

Just slapped a 9/10 into PULSE's face. lol

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-01-11 16:43:52)

I like Xy- Has the courtesy and smarts to ask questions.  And please do lesser-known Asian stuff, it's my current area of interest.

azathoth wrote:

I like Xy- Has the courtesy and smarts to ask questions.  And please do lesser-known Asian stuff, it's my current area of interest.

Thanks Az. Will do.

Oldboy
I Saw The Devil
Cold Fish
Dream Home < may be japanese...not sure
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Lady Vengeance

^^^
Lady Vengeance is great. Beautifully shot.

azathoth, seen The Housemaid (하녀, Hanyeo)???
Korean, 1960, black & white... Brilliant.

kXnPunk wrote:

This Movie is fuckin awesome.
This whole Asiasn Cinema is weitred and great.

Untold Story as an Example

Untold Story is an old favorite (as is its star, Anthony Wong, who's among the best HK actors IMO).  Dr. Lamb is another great gore/police procedural in the same vein, starring Simon Yam (another favorite HK actor).

Ever seen Blue Jean Monster, starring Shing Fui On?  Now that's a whacky HK horror flick!

^^^
That's a very, very, very WIIILD one Blue Jean Monster.
Brilliant.

@Feckles the HornyAwakeOne-
No, have not seen The Housemaid.

^^^
I recommend.
Pretty damn cool one.

Stuck in on my Netflix instant queue.

^^^
Cool, remember to tell me what you thought of it.

^

I will have to check out this Housemaid aswell.

^^^
Check it out, at the end you'll all be pissed at me because you found it bad. MWAHAHAHA lol

RINNE [Reincarnation] was a true damn wild blasting in your face one. Still having a hard time to breath and I watched it hours ago. Woah. HELP!!! lol

Just a hint Punk- when a movie has a common word for a name, or is reused a lot in films, a date (like 2005) is helpful for us trying to find it.  Or even an IMDB link.
And if it's on YouTube, that's a bonus!
big_smile
tongue

Last edited by azathoth (2013-01-15 19:45:34)

Yeah I admit.
I'm punishing myself inquisition style with whip slaps on my back. Told you I loved pain. lol

Didn't know it was common.

But I'll date 'em from now on. Still doing your "you're the piece of my nrain missing" work beautifully. smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-01-15 20:06:11)

^^
You shall learn, young Demon Padawan.

^^^
Can you teach me the Dark Force use oh Master???