Topic: Canadian Horror Renaissance

With Hobo With A Shotgun and American Mary deserving a solid place in my Top 3 Horror/Grindhouse films of the last 5 years and other acclaimed films like Pontypool and Dead Hooker In A Trunk from American Mary's Soska Sisters I personally believe there has been a certain renaissance of Canadian horror talent recently. The Soska sisters in particular have the potential i believe to be the next Cronenberg.

What is everyone else's opinion's.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-12-01 08:22:42)

Re: Canadian Horror Renaissance

Well I would love to see them! Why not!? lol I have a CAD friend.

I really liked the Shrine, another canadian horror flick.

Isn't tucker and Dale Canadian too?

I would believe it was a renaissance if the movies being mentioned were actually good.  But Dead Hooker in a Trunk was a horrible flick, American Mary was passable at best and Hobo with a Shotgun was, while quite splattery, a pretty crappy flick, as well. 

Just my opinion, of course.  But because the country has increased its genre output in the last few years doesn't make it a renaissance, especially when what they're releasing is mostly junk. hmm

I haven't seen Hobo yet but tbh despite it's hype I'm not convinced. It's like Rubber, the reviews are great but I just can't bring myself to watch it!

LoudLon wrote:

I would believe it was a renaissance if the movies being mentioned were actually good.  But Dead Hooker in a Trunk was a horrible flick, American Mary was passable at best and Hobo with a Shotgun was, while quite splattery, a pretty crappy flick, as well. 

Just my opinion, of course.  But because the country has increased its genre output in the last few years doesn't make it a renaissance, especially when what they're releasing is mostly junk. hmm

I can't really disagree. Like I said I dig the Shrine, but we're due to have a good horror movie every few years, nothing to out of the ordinary. I think most countries are seeing an increase in indy movies (not just horror movies).

UltraViolence wrote:

I haven't seen Hobo yet but tbh despite it's hype I'm not convinced. It's like Rubber, the reviews are great but I just can't bring myself to watch it!

Ohhh Rubber is such a blast. Weird. VERY weird.

Yes Hobo was great haven't seen Dead Hooker or American Mary yet but a canadian one I freaking enjoyed and loved WAAAYYY too much is Smash Cut. Might be because Sasha Grey plays in it though. lol Nah, everybody was great in this piece.

kXnPunk wrote:

Might be because Sasha Grey plays in it though. lol Nah, everybody was great in this piece.

You've piqued my interest.

David Hess is in it too and the character he plays is damn insanely awesome. smile
If you like Sasha, SEE IT!!!

UltraViolence wrote:

Hobo is ok for what it is... just don't expect anything substantial. 
It's a deliberate cheesy 80's horror grindhouse kind of flick.  Just sit back and enjoy it for those random pockets of violence... and of course for the Hauer.  Just don't try to take it serioiusly.

Was nice to see Brian Downey from LEXX fame as the antagonist.

LoudLon wrote:

I couldn't disagree more. Granted I havent actually watched Dead Hooker but American Mary I though was VERY good and a fresh of original air. Hobo I loved 2. i felt that it captured the old grindhouse feel far better than say Machete. But i respect ur opinions on these films. U got 2 admit though at least directors like the Soska's, who from my experience of meeting them at Frightfest very genuine and great girls, are actually trying to be original compared to the dreck that comes out of hollywood nowadays.

Mazz wrote:

It's a deliberate cheesy 80's horror grindhouse kind of flick.  Just sit back and enjoy it for those random pockets of violence... and of course for the Hauer.  Just don't try to take it serioiusly.

AND Molly Dunsworth!!!

kXnPunk wrote:
Mazz wrote:

AND Molly Dunsworth!!!

indeed. smile

Have some mixed feelings about that flick.  Partly my fault though.  I went into it not knowing hardly anything about it at all, but knew the Hauer was in it so I took a shot in the dark.

I thought it was supposed to be a serious vigilante type of flick.  Maybe a Deathwish clone or something.  Something moody leading to a  moral.  Nope.  It's basically a thin plot with pockets of graphic violence... which would have been fine by me if I would have known that from the start.

Vasquez wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

I couldn't disagree more. Granted I havent actually watched Dead Hooker but American Mary I though was VERY good and a fresh of original air. Hobo I loved 2. i felt that it captured the old grindhouse feel far better than say Machete. But i respect ur opinions on these films. U got 2 admit though at least directors like the Soska's, who from my experience of meeting them at Frightfest very genuine and great girls, are actually trying to be original compared to the dreck that comes out of hollywood nowadays.

Aah see I love love love machete. I had such a fucking awesome time watching it! I laughed and I cringed at the same time sometimes. Really captured the grind house feel and restored my faith in Rodriguez and I love Danny trejo and Michelle rodriguez. I am really intrigued by American Mary. Dead hooker in a trunk hasn't really caught my attention but American Mary has made some waves in a few circles I float about in. The soskas are making a name for themselves and I have to see their work.

Anyone seen Xtro 2???

Cool and fun little piece.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yF_bFaL … ather=True

Anyone see Fido?  That was a Canadian flick!  Definitely not the most terrifying movie ever, but I absolutely loved it and the idea of domesticated zombies. 

I watched Pontypool when I was on a flight to Newfoundland lol.  I didn't really enjoy it so much from what I remember.  It's been a while since I've watched it.

What about Ginger Snaps??  Shit that movie was awesome.

Xtro (all of them) - check
Fido - check
Pontypool - chdeck
Ginger Snaps (all of them) - check

^^^
What a nice little diamond Fido is. I dig it.

GINGER SNAAAPS is all I'm gonna say about that series. Maybe not. Gniehehe

I'm a huge Katarine Isabelle fan.
She's my all time favorite canadian girl in the movies.
That's why I just cannot wait to see American Mary.

My favorite is the last, Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning. After the first of course. smile

Awesome no azathoth??? What did ya think???

kXnPunk wrote:

^^^
What a nice little diamond Fido is. I dig it.

My favorite is the last, Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning. After the first of course. smile

It sure is a little diamond!  Fido makes me so happy.  In fact, I think I might watch it tonight!

I actually didn't even watch that one!  I watched the first two and thought that one looked a little bit TOO hokey.  But maybe I will give it a chance now!

Watched the second last week and I gotta admit it has it's cheesy moments but there's great stuff. Like the first bloody kill of the movie.
And the basements, the hospital's and the house.
The fights. The Blood. The psychology of the hospital peeps.
That blonde girl. The Junkied out Brigitte, well I guess I liked it a lot. lol

And I like the third more so you're in for a ride. lol

I loved Ginger Snaps. One of my first horrors that made me think "Hey I like this horror thing". I was 13 maybe 14 and I watched it with some friends at their house with my auntie who was a year younger than me. We both ran home (4 doors down) and wouldn't go through the alley to get to the back door so banged on the door until they opened the front one haha!

kXnPunk wrote:

Awesome no azathoth??? What did ya think???

I have no idea what you are talking about.

azathoth wrote:

Xtro (all of them) - check
Fido - check
Pontypool - chdeck
Ginger Snaps (all of them) - check

Me neither. tongue

Hahaha It's sweet UltraViolence.

At that age I saw Evil Dead. Even scarier. And I fell in the Bloodbath of Horror right there. smile