Topic: House of Leaves

by Mark Z. Danielewski. Has anyone read this book? I've merely glanced at it, and it looks like quite the feat to read. With pages backwards, or upside down, a sentence per page, or even a few letters per page. A story with a story etc. I need to know if this is just a jumbled mess or if it is actually a rewarding read.

Any opinions?

Re: House of Leaves

Well obviously this has been overlooked book by many people. It was written in 2000 and has steadily gained a cult following, but not much mainstream press. It's truly an original and revolutionary work in horror, but even fiction as a whole. The way pages are laid out and designed really add to the effect the story is trying to portray. The effect of solitude, the effect of falling, and most importantly the effect of madness.

I haven't read a book that has had such a personal connection in a long time. In the book the characters are consistently asked, what does the House represent to them. But really what the author is asking is what it represents to us the reader. House of Leaves is an exercise in psychology, reflecting on the way people react to outside influences, whether heroically or tragically mad.

I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for an original work of fiction. But the reader must remain open minded to really enjoy House of Leaves.

Sounds awesome to me, I'll check it out right now and get it on my Nook

Gardenofstone10 wrote:

This book is a good indication of why I only buy print books and not digital.  A book like this will never translate well on a screen.  You have to read the print version to get the full effect.  Backwards passages, text around the pages, crazy layouts.  I dont even know if they can make this book digital but if they did its probably a travesty compared to the original.

Yeah I've come to loathe my nook as the memories I have walking in to a bookstore on the hunt for the perfect book, the smell, the atmosphere.  Then when I get home, the page turning, bookmarking, the sound of a book opening...nothing can replace it.  Fortunately, House of Leaves is not available on the Kindle or Nook

Interesting....I guess that explains the large pricetag I saw on this book.  I wondered why it was so much.  Thanks for the review, I might go ahead and pick it up then.

jmh314 wrote:
Gardenofstone10 wrote:

This book is a good indication of why I only buy print books and not digital.  A book like this will never translate well on a screen.  You have to read the print version to get the full effect.  Backwards passages, text around the pages, crazy layouts.  I dont even know if they can make this book digital but if they did its probably a travesty compared to the original.

More likely than not, yeah. It's just not really meant for it. This is a one of a kind book, and though it has a bigger price tag, you get what you pay for.

Loved this book. Read it twice in two years. Have you heard his sister Poe's companion piece song, Five and a Half Minute Hallway?

My friend and fellow horror movie producer Arthur, who's a huge fan of horror authors like Stephen King, says House of Leaves is the BEST horror novel he's ever read.

PostGhost wrote:

Loved this book. Read it twice in two years. Have you heard his sister Poe's companion piece song, Five and a Half Minute Hallway?

No, I've never heard her music at all. I am interested though. I'll have to check it out.

Oh, just get her entire album Haunted then - if you love the book you'll love the album by default.

Honestly I'm mostly a metalhead, though I do spin other stuff, and I'm not big into female singers most of the time either (there is always exceptions). But I did play the song, and I really liked it. Modern, kind of poppish, but with some 70's psych or prog tendencies. I'll have to listen more. The rest of the album similar?

Yeah, her name is Anne but her band is Poe, as in Edgar Allan. Mark and Anne intertwine their art. Angry Johnny off Poe's Hello inspired the protagonist's name in House of Leaves, and Haunted is a musical version of House told from Anne's point of view - both book and album are about their father. Back in the day, a purchase of House advertised Haunted, inviting readers to Hear The Book. Some references are subtle, others blatant. The Blair Witch 2 soundtrack featured the title track. As a band, Poe might sound overproduced and almost cloyingly pop oriented (yet strangely noncommercial, if that's not too much of a contradiction) but Anne's intense emotional deliveries and faithfulness to the literature of her brother make Haunted a must have companion piece for any House fan. Try to get high quality, as the recording is very theatrical.

I just read about this book a couple of days ago and thought I would give it a look, found it at a boom store and flipped through it today but he price tag was hefty as hell, $62. Im not sure how easy it is to get into but that price drove me away. I'm still intrigued by it and don't it on amazon for much cheaper, but haven't decided if I could get into it but I might order just to try it out.

Keep looking Vamp, you will find it for less than that.  I highly recommend getting it in the old fashioned paper form though.  It loses some of the charm in the ebook version.  I am only half way through and it is a very good read.