Re: What was the scariest and/or most disturbing book you have ever read?

azathoth wrote:

'Curious George Gets in the stranger's car'
Poor scared monkey.  sad

Poor poor monkey

When I was in high school I read Tommyknockers. It wasn't so much that the book creeped me out as that all of these weird coincidences started happening. I would read something from the book and then within a few days something similar would happen in real life. It happened repeatedly.

The only store that actually gave me the willies and still does to this day was actually a short story. It's from the book 100 Vicious Vampire Stories. It's called To See Him Smile. I recommend the whole book, but that story in particular was great.

Well haha I only read Rosemary's Baby and The Shining and Christine. Erm The Shining is lame. I guess between Christine and Rosemary's Baby I think it it'l go with Rosemary's Baby.

Ive only read The Woman in Black and It was very cool

Defo The Shining. I found it way creepy and scarier than the movie.

H.P. Lovecraft is by far the scariest and or creepiest author I have read so far.  Definitely trumps any Stephen King, Anne Rice, and maybe even Clive Barker I have read!

The Outsider was a favourite of mine....

^^^
Absolutely. He's really the master. His books are really creepy. He wrote one of my favorite books of all times, yeah, Necronomicon is just an amazing read.
It's the one that freaked me the most.
His others too. The Outsider is insane which I love.

I like Anne Rice and Stephen King too but like you said it doesn't beat Lovercraft.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2012-09-02 14:45:47)

So I went through this whole thread and I've read most of these books..Started reading Stephen King at around 12.  American Psycho did have some crazy scenes but the satire and juxtaposition of the kills with the endless descriptions of 80's business attire was enough to balance it out for me and make it a fun read.

I've read a lot of the Marquis de Sade as well, more as a Phychology Reference (he was the fisrt to describe Pyromania and Kleptomania as fetishistic...sadism, self explanatory).  But the one and Only book I've ever had to put down for a long period of time was Naked Lunch.  The movie is nothing like the book. If you want a challenge, try reading it from start to finish.  It's rewarding but not easy.

I've read a decent amount of horror stories, short and novels, Lovecraft, Stoker, Poe, Matheson etc. I still think my favourite horror story is IT. I read when I was just 18 during the summer after graduating high school. I'd stayed up for nights on end reading it it was so addictive. King has a real talent for building suspense.

Definitely American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis. It was really rather vicious in parts and far more extreme than the sanitised film version. There's a scene in the book where Patrick murders a prostitute in te most obscene way imaginable.

Just finished reading once again my favorite Sci-Fi book ever. And it's not only Sci-Fi but definitely has a horror thing to it. Best examples are the creature called the Shrike, a metal with spikes thing going around and a priest with a crucifix that keeps coming back on his abdomen even if he tries to take it off. Wild, VERY wild. HYPERION it's called. Damn good.

Hmm ive never ever read any particularly disturbing/dark novels, though the one which had the most ominous and disturbing atmosphere was The Shining, tame compared to some of the ones mentioned i know but there u go. I better get on delving into darker depths i suppose. That being said i have read sone Edgar Alan Poe stuff and that can get quite insane.

World War Z, I read that aswell, actually thats a pretty realistically gritty book - deserves a R rated movie.

They're doing one called like that aren't they???

I really enjoy Edgar Allan Poe's stories too..I've always loved short stories..when done right, they're so effective and then it's over and you're left just thinking about them.  Masque of the Red Death, the Cask of Amontillado and the facts in the case of Mr. Valdemar are my favorites.

Without being graphic, he sets the mood and tone that is just creepy...not the most disturbing...but some of the best ever written

The most disturbing book I have read was Survivor by J.F. Gonzalez. It was just sick. I had to put it down quite a few times.

I picked up a copy of The Cellar by Richard Laymond at the library when i was about 14,it was pretty intense.
Red Dragon by Thomas Harris was also creepy.

Ok so maybe it's not so scary...But the most disturbing thing I've read is still "Guts" by Chuck Palahniuk.  I read it when the novel Haunted first came out and I couldn't bring myself to read the rest of the book.  To this day I cannot read that short story.  I've read the rest of the book, and I've dared myself to read the story again and I just can't.

I'm also now terrified to go poop when I'm high because I've convinced myself it feels like my intestines are falling out.  Thanks for that one there, Chuck.

Evelyn Williams wrote:

I'm also now terrified to go poop when I'm high because I've convinced myself it feels like my intestines are falling out.  Thanks for that one there, Chuck.

lol

Several have mentioned The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum. I haven't read it, but I would have to say another one he wrote called Off Season is very disturbing, brutal even. I guess I should check out The Girl Next Door now.

He's more known for his comics work, but in the early 90's, John Byrne wrote a horror novel called The Whipping Boy, that was pretty disturbing. It's not in print anymore, but if you spot it at a used bookstore, grab it!

Where the Wild Things Are

The Bernstein Bears, by far.

I was REALLY scared when i was reading both The Shining and IT by King.  I read Shining when I was about 7 or 8 so that goes without saying.  However, IT, I read for the first time when I was in 11th grade in high school.  i only read it at night after my homework was done and it was close to the summer so it was raining a lot.  My room was in my parents basement, too, which made it extra creepy (love the atmosphere of watching horror movies and reading book)

Gardenofstone10 wrote:

I was REALLY scared when i was reading both The Shining and IT by King.  I read Shining when I was about 7 or 8 so that goes without saying.

I read the Shining for the first time in my second year on university and it still scared the shit out of me.  I tried reading a lot of King's novels when I was younger, but I never found them that scary.  I never finished Pet Semetary, It, or Misery and I am NOT one to not read a book through.  But the Shining was amazing. 

Another one of King's novels that I thoroughly enjoyed was Gerald's Game.  I should read that one again soon...

I read the Crossed......... until I read that book it was neonomicon and until that one it was the great and secret show.