Re: Last Mainstream movie you watched.

^^^
Definitely diamondiously grand that last stuff.

X-2 Xmen United

The A Team (2010)

Well I haven't seen the original series, but after watching this movie I'm willing to check the show out. This does on the other hand, have a great cast and I wouldn't have expected Neeson, Cooper, Copley, and Jackson to have a great chemistry. I still would have liked a Mr. T cameo, though.

^^^
Yeah can't compare. Not that this bad, H3LL, how can anything with Jessica Biel be bad but you'll dig the old TV series if you liked the film.

Mr-T knows how to cook his meat. Mwahaha

Faces in the Crowd (2011).  Millla Jovovich stars as a murder witness who while escaping the killer takes a knock on the head and loses the ability to recognize faces.  Had all the ingredients for a top-notch thriller, but an unending series of contrivances, forced logic and overall by-the-numbers handling of the material keeps it from being anything more than late-night Cinemax fodder.  It's a shame; Milla's actually pretty good in the lead, but as witnessed by her starring roles in Ultraviolet and most (if not all) of the Resident Evil movies, the chick apparently doesn't know how to say no to a bad script.  Especially since, if you're familiar with the age-old murder/mystery trope called "economy of characters," there's only one guy who could possibly be the killer, and they still all but put a neon sign on the guy.

Big ol' lump of turd, this one.

^^^
That's a case of discordance between me and you. One of the rare ones.

I've followed her for years and to me the only bad thing she's done which I don't even call bad, just medium bottle of Jack Daniels which is still pretty tasty, is .45, That Gun reseller dude played by Angus Macfadyen was cool and see Milla butt naked screwing that big fat guy was wild. big_smile

I've loved everything else [seen The Fourth KIND??? Amazing flick masterpieceable] dearly with insane passion. Even Faces In The Crowd.

Milla's one of my girls man.

Don't fuck with her. lol

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-01-19 00:48:08)

LoudLon wrote:
ChainSaW80 wrote:

Kill Bill Vol. 2 - This one was always my favorite but I actually think I like the first one a smidge more now...this version was "the whole bloody affair" so the showdown at the japanese bar was in full color and uncut in Vol. 1 so maybe that was tbe difference.

I've yet to see The Whole Bloody affair version, but that reminds me, I've been meaning to see if I can find it for download.

I thought Volume 1 was okay, but nothing I hadn't seen a hundred times before throughout a couple decades of watching HK action and Category III flicks.  Volume 2, though, I really enjoyed; it felt much more like Tarantino to me than Vol 1 did, especially in the surprisingly anti-climactic but still hugely satisfying final showdown between Kiddo and Bill. 

Anyway, off to look around for a copy of The Whole Bloody Affair to download...

Its definitelg cool all togetber as one film...I would ultimitely say I likewise them both equally after t his viewing. Loved tuh e bride vs the crazy 88's at the end of 1 but then again my favorite fight scene has to be the bride vs elle...so badass.

Yeah, the blonde-on-blonde fight was surprisingly brutal.  I'd always thought Darryll Hannah was one of those prima donna actresses, but she sure proved otherwise in that flick!

Punk -- I love Milla too, man, I really do, but ever since she moved up from support player to leading lady, it's like she forgot how to tell a good script from a bad one.  Since her first lead role in The Messenger, it's like she goes out of her way to appear in bad b-movies.  I've seen every film she's made (Faces in the Crowd was the only exception, and now that's been remedied) and I can honestly I say I can count the number of Milla flicks I've liked since 1999 on one hand -- actually on just two fingers.  The Perfect Getaway and Resident Evil Extinction.  That's it.

I keep hoping for the best with each new movie she makes, but I'm continually left disappointed.  She's good in them, I just wish she'd pick a project that deserves what she brings to the table.

Darryl Hanna VS Uma Thurman yeah, great fight. Zoe Bell is an amazing double.

Ya LoudLon I get your point of view but I'm off this. Got a differnet opinion.
To me, it's ALL Resident Evil, 5th Element, The Fourth Kind, Ultraviolet then and only then Messenger and all.
Heh, different folks different viiews. big_smile

Sorry dude, wasn't trying to piss on your opinion or anything.  Hey, we both love Milla at least, so there's some common ground. lol

Speaking of Zoe Bell, have you seen the documentary Double Dare?  Covers her time spent on Xena, some behind-the-scenes stuff and eventually becomes about her meeting with Tarantino and being cast for Kill Bill.  Zoe's ten kinds of bad-ass, man, and cute as a button.  If you like her now, you'll love her when you see Double Dare.

Here Comes the Boom (2012).  Comedian Kevin James stars as a biology teacher who enters the world of mixed martial arts fighting to earn money to save his school's music program after funding cuts result in the school's inability to keep it.  James is engaging in the lead and plays the determined underdog well, and Bas Rutten's fun as his trainer.  Storywise it's your standard "loser overcomes adversity, earns respect of peers, saves the day, wins the girl"-type fluff so it won't be winning any awards any time soon -- but still, I enjoyed it.

LoudLon wrote:

Sorry dude, wasn't trying to piss on your opinion or anything.  Hey, we both love Milla at least, so there's some common ground. lol

Speaking of Zoe Bell, have you seen the documentary Double Dare?  Covers her time spent on Xena, some behind-the-scenes stuff and eventually becomes about her meeting with Tarantino and being cast for Kill Bill.  Zoe's ten kinds of bad-ass, man, and cute as a button.  If you like her now, you'll love her when you see Double Dare.

Oh I didn't think you were trying to either. I know better. lol

Ohhhh yesss, saw Double Dare aand what an amzing thing this is. Love the girl. Yeah cute [as a button??? Never heard that before, made me laugh big_smile], very wise and man I enjoy her aussie slang a whole lot.

I also saw her in the freaking insane Angel Of Death where she gets a knife in the head but it doesn't affect her. Wild and a great performance. Not as good as in Death Proof but for someoe that isn't really a true actress she pulls it off brilliantly. Yup Zoe RULES!!! Wooohhhooo!!!

And yeah at least we both like miss Jovovich. smile

DUMB & DUMBER
The funniest movie EVER MADE since they discovered the video camera.

Period.

666/10

Hey, lookie there, here's one we both totally agree on!  I LOVE Dumb and Dumber.  I have seen it, quite literally, over a hundred times and it makes me laugh every single time.  For me it's right up there with Caddyshack and Young Frankenstein as the funniest movies ever made.

^^^
Dumb & Dumber is my fav also...I would agree, funniest movie EVER!!!

Yeah, it truely ROCKS!!!

On TV now:

JULIE & JULIA
Meryl Streep, Amy Adams. What more do I need to add???
Yeah, I agree. Nothing.

Meryl Streep is amazing as she always is.
What an awesome actress. One of the greatest ever.

I like the Blog idea she has of making every recipe in Julia Child's book. Hey, I like Blogs so... And man, is she cute??? Damn yes. Her little yellow cat is cute too.
Love this girl.
Digged her with Emily Blunt in the wonderful Sunshine Cleaning. And I've seen just now that she's gonna be Janis Joplin in a movie in production now due in 2013.

NOW THAT WILL ROCK LIKE H3LL!!!

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-01-19 20:31:33)

kXnPunk wrote:

DUMB & DUMBER
The funniest movie EVER MADE since they discovered the video camera.

Period.

666/10

Like Lon & ChainSaW, I am in complete agreement. I've pretty much grown up with that film. Such a hilarious flick...and it features my favorite comedy duo, ever.

The Princess Bride

Another one of those movies I grew up loving. Holy great nostalgia, it's still just as good if not better than what it was when I was five years old.

^^^
I had that nostalgic moment tonight too.

AMERICAN GRAFFITI
First off, I'm a crazy insane mad nuts fan of Hot Rod and 50's cars so this movie is hitting the damn right spot I tell ya. Plus it's got an amazing storyline, amazing acting and well dudes and dudettes, it's fucking Georges Lucas the one that gave me my ALL TIMES favorite mobies, the Star Wars legacy so there. A very fun back in time hour and a half I just spent... smile

666/10

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-01-19 22:09:11)

Hitchcock (2012).  I thought this was a biopic about the life of Master of Suspense Alfred Hitchcock but no, it's merely about the making of Psycho.  The film starts with Hitch coming off the success of North by Northwest and in search of a new project, and how Paramount refuses to back him for Psycho so he pays for it out of his own pocket.  There's also a sub-plot about his wife Alma and whether or not she's having an affair.  But that's about it. 

All the stuff you'd want to know more about -- Hitch's infamous and never-ending search for The Perfect Blond, his excessive diet, his sometimes dictatorial behind-the-camera persona, etc, are all merely given lip service.  There's no real meat to the story, not to mention a completely fictional and forced sub-plot about Hitch being visited by an imaginary Ed Gein.  All you're left with to make up for the lack of story are the performances, and the hope that they can carry the movie....

...but they can't.  Surprisingly, Anthony Hopkins is merely okay as Hitch (despite extensive make-up he still comes off as Anthony Hopkins pretending to be Hitchcock, rather than truly submerging himself in the role).  Scarlett Johansson captures the grace of Janet Leigh if not exactly her look.  But the real star of this flick is Helen Mirren, adding yet another strong, intelligent, capable woman character to her already extensive list of same. 

Brass tacks: good, not great.  Could have been a lot better, and would have been a lot worse if not for Mirren.  5/10

Wow, I had really high hopes for that movie (will still probably buy it haha) but that's good to know.

Django Unchained

Waltz and Di Caprio should be the new ODD COUPLES

LoudLon wrote:

but no, it's merely about the making of Psycho.

I've known that since I first heard about this and man, been waiting impatiently to see it. And H3LL, how could I not, I'm truely in love with ScarHOTlett, she's one of my cutest girls in the universe since it's creation so... But yeah, I heard that Mirren is fabulous in it. What a great actress, another top one like Meryl... smile

Finished my druken night with a nice one.
THE BOOK OF ÉLIE
Very enhoyable post apocalyptic flick with Denzel Washington and the gorgeous sex bomb Mila Kunis. Very well done overall I think.

But I don't think I'd do like him in the beginning, eat a cat. Urgh.
I'm not chinese anyways , heh. lol
9/10

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-01-20 07:18:05)

^^^ Unfortunately ScarJo's not in it all that much.  Maybe it just seems this way because her scenes are spread so far aparat, but I'd say she has a total of maybe six, seven total minutes of screentime. hmm

^^^
Even only 30 seconds would be sufficient for me.
Yeah I love her THAT much. lol

Just checked out Chinese Zodiac -- supposedly Jackie Chan's final "big action" movie (unless they go through with Rush Hour 4).  It's actually the third in a series of films where Jackie plays a character called Asian Hawk (the previous two being Armour of God and Operation Condor), a globe-trotting fortune-hunter and adventurer, this time recruited to retrieve a series of historic bronze animal heads. 

Chan uses a lot more wires and double this time around -- hey, dude's pushing 60 years old and after the abuse he's taken over the last forty years it's a miracle he can still even walk, let alone jump around and perform complex fight scenes.  And  while it also has a number of more somber moments than Jackie's usual light-hearted fare (shades of New Police Story and Jackie focusing more on dramatic acting in his old age) it's still a fun, funny and energetic romp and a welcome entry, and enjoyable finale, to Jackie's Asian Hawk series.