Topic: Akira

i know that alot of people on here don't watch a lot of anime, but this movie is really good.

"Kaneda is a bike gang leader whose close friend Tetsuo gets involved in a government secret project known as Akira. On his way to save Tetsuo, Kaneda runs into a group of anti-government activists, greedy politicians, irresponsible scientists and a powerful military leader. The confrontation sparks off Tetsuo's supernatural power leading to bloody death, a coup attempt and the final battle in Tokyo Olympiad where Akira's secrets were buried 30 years ago."

i was wondering if anyone else had seen this, and if you liked it or not?

Re: Akira

I love this movie. How many countless times i've seen this movie. I can't get enough of this classic anime movie. A couple years ago, i think back in 2003, they rereleased it onto DVD and i picked up the limited edition to it. It's the special edition 2 disc set, which comes in a tin box. I know the version that i do own is hard to find now. Definitely one of the movies i'm going to be buried with when i die.

it definately is a classic, i need to find it on dvd somewhere, iv seen it on the Encore movie channels several times now.

Yeah you definitely need to buy it on DVD. The special features are simply amazing. Here's a couple links where you can purchase it:

Here's the one that i own:

http://www.lasersedge.com/item_detail.a … p;tMedia=1

http://www.amazon.com/Akira-Special-Mit … amp;sr=1-1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp … p;id=20150

And i take it back. It came out in 2001, which i then picked it up the day it came out. I hope this helps you out DG.

oh ya, that helps alot, its my second favorite anime movie, my first being Vampire hunter D: Bloodlust

I love VHD: Bloodlust. But i love Vampire Hunter D a tad more than Bloodlust. A really kickass anime series is Hellsing. I can't get enough of that series and there are so many other anime and japanimation movies and series i have seen. I've been watching that type of genre for years and i have seen so many kickass ones.

one of my personal favorite mini series is S-Cry-Ed, its really good, and its only 22 episodes long. and one other that is usually played on adult swim durring the summer is Fooly Cooly, thats just halarious

Actually the one that i found to be my new favorite comes on Adult Swim called Shin Chan. When i saw it for the first time, i couldn't get enough of it. I became hooked on it. Everytime i've seen that episode, i was always laughing my head off. The show doesn't make any sense what so ever and each character for drawing wise is only mediocre. But that show is simply addicting. I just which they went back to the original lineup they use to have it, Monday-Thursday. Now it sucks. It's only on every Sat.

that show is pretty funny, i never really got into it though..

Actually most people can't get into it. I was surprised that i actually got into it. But if you want to talk about pure genius and simply amazing movies check out all of Hayao Miyazaki's movies. He is simply the greatest animator.

i just lookedf him up on IMDb, iv only seen Lupin the third of his stuff, and that show was pure geneious. another show that makes almost no sense at all, but its funny.

Oh. Yeah i've seen all of his movies and if you haven't go out and check them out. There is not one single bad movie that he put out. And my personal favorite ones which are the best ones:

Princess Mononoke
Castle in the Sky
Spirited Away
Grave of the Fire Flies
Howl's Moving Castle

Last edited by BlackDeathDamien (2007-08-16 20:35:47)

oh shit, i didnt see Spirited Away on the list on IMDB, i love that movie, seen it at least 10 times, never get tired of it.

But man. How many great series and movies out there are unbelieveable. Oh yeah. If you haven't checked it out yet, a must own is Appleseed. That animation in there is so damn beautiful. Another great must own of course is Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. Those 2 movies right there are simply without a shadow of a doubt must owns for your collection. All the animation and graphics, layouts, and storylines, is so damn gorgious.

i havet seen Appleseed, but i own the special edition of FF7: Advent Children, i pre-ordered it before it came out and i got a special bonous disk with it thats got alot of special features that are really cool.

I actually own the same version you have but i didn't pre-order it but i picked it up the day it came out. I love all the special features that is on the second disc. It's so damn awesome.

hmmm, i kno the movie comes with the two disks inside the box, but i have a third disk with even more special features that i got when i pre-ordered it, do you have that disk? i could show you a pic of it if u wanted big_smile

No i never knew that there was a 3 disc set. I think i know exactly which version you are talking about. The one that they released sometime last year. I have seen it, but i never bought it. But i am still happy as hell with the version that i own of it but you can't get any better than the Ultimate Versus 3 Disc set that comes in a tin box. That's the version that you do need to own.

ya im gonna have to look for that.

I actually picked my copy up of Ultimate Versus over at Best Buy last week. If you do have a Best Buy right by you, i'm pretty sure they will have it in store to buy. I got it for $26. So really that's a pretty good deal for a 3 disc set that comes in a tin box.

ya that is a good deal, too bad i dont even have that much money lol

i have akira on laserdisk.