Topic: King & Ketchum

I'm looking to read a new horror novel. I was thinking of checking out another Stephen King, but wasn't really sure where to go with his novels, as I know that his writing has been less than consistent. So far I have read The Shining, It, Salem's Lot and Pet Semetary and liked them all to varying degrees. I liked It the most and Salem's Lot the least.

I'm also looking to check out Jack Ketchum, which is the best place to start?

Re: King & Ketchum

I've read EVERY SINGLE King book and highly recommend IT and Dreamcatcher.  Ketchum is a genius and I love The Girl Next Door (saw the movie first and the book is better)

Carrie big_smile

SK wrote under the pseudo name of, Richard Bachman. One of my personal favorite stories is:  The Long Walk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Bachman

One of King's more recent ones,  11/22/63, I found quite good, although not exactly horror, more sci-fi, involving time travel. Under The Dome is really good, Cell, and The Green Mile are the ones that really stick out to me as being very good.

I've only read one Jack Ketchum novel, Off Season, but it was good. Very disturbing and brutal at times, so it might not be for everyone.

Underdog wrote:

SK wrote under the pseudo name of, Richard Bachman. One of my personal favorite stories is:  The Long Walk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Bachman

I just recommended that to The Creature the other day.  It's also one of his better in my opinion.  Such a great idea that hasn't really been capitalized on with a cool movie adaptation.  Of all the Bachman novels, that was my fave.

Check out Triage.

Novel by Ketchum, Richard Laymon and Edward Lee.  Its amazing.  Each writer had to start with the same story, then go in whatever direction they wanted (which I think is an original idea, at least I've never heard of another book doing this).  Then you'll get exposed to three great writers.

I have read many Edward Lee books, and I don't think you'll get more horror than that.  Though many of them are fairly similar.

I love King, and have a lotta respect for him.  He gave me so many good memories.  Still...sometimes you gotta break free from him!

Try Darkfall by Dean Koontz.

If you're looking for a good Ketchum book you have to read Off Season and The Girl Next Door. Both are fantastic. As far as King goes, besides the titles you mentioned, Christine, Carrie, Cujo and Night Shift are all excellent.

Ghostseeker wrote:

I love King, and have a lotta respect for him.  He gave me so many good memories.  Still...sometimes you gotta break free from him!

I hear ya. I do read many other authors (and genres), but it's been a few years since I've picked up any of his books, and I was sort of in the mood again.

Christine is my definitive favorite from Lord King. Hey, I love cars so.

You can also check out anything by Lovecraft or Poe.
For me,  King and them are the masters of Horror writing.

Lovercraft is oh sooo EVIL it's damn great. Love him... I admit. lol

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-01-30 14:37:58)

Already familiar with Poe and Lovecraft, both are great. More rewarding, after exhausting the latters' catalog, is finding the authors from around the same time as them that were overlooked. Lately I've been reading William Hope Hodgson, who is similar to Lovecraft and Howard in style and subject (maybe closer to Howard in style). Clark Ashton Smith and Ambrose Bierce are other good ones. I have some Algernon Blackwood coming in the mail and he's been acknowledged by Lovecraft as one of his main influences.

Last edited by Theli (2013-01-30 20:48:38)