Topic: Iconic serial killers phenomena

This post  by no means is meant to enrage all the fine folks on this board. God knows I love it in here, so everything that follows is just my opinion and I'd love to hear what others have to say.

Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees, Freddy Krueger, Jigsaw. I hate those movies, I despise those characters. Its a bold statement from a horror fan but that's a fact. The reason being that all those killers are devoid any complexity to their characters to the point of being almost cartoonish. They are not scary to me at all. Yet in any conversation on slashers one of those names will pop up instantly from anyone never mind through the roof ratings.

But utmost scariest serial killers in movies are often left forgotten. Silence of the lambs, Seven, I saw the Devil, Kalifornia. Any of the latter flicks are way more frightening and disturbing than Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm street and Saw franchise.

So do I miss a point here? Or its all about the time well spent with a popcorn on your laps without actually delving deep inside the mind of evil.

Re: Iconic serial killers phenomena

I guess it's how you look at it.  Myers is just a killing machine; I find that scary since there is no reason really.  Jason flipped after the 1st movie, so... I don't know.  Freddy had a reason, but you have to take it with a grain of salt.  Jigsaw was interesting for a bit, then got stupid.

Hannibal usually gets top notch marks as a killer.  Seven was only one movie, so...

But everyone gets their opinion here.  UV doesn't like Halloween at all, either.  As long as everyone is respectful of each other, feel free to discuss.  We had a guy a bit ago that was telling people that his views were "FACT," and denigrated others' opposing viewpoints.  He got kicked.

So play nice everyone or there will be spankings.

I like Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees, etc. because they are so...out there. They have one mission, and that mission is to kill. They don't talk, they don't discuss, and most of all, they don't take prisoners. That's what I want when watching them movies and we sure as hell get it. They are ruthless killing machines, and far from reality.

Then on the other side, you have Ghostface who is kind of different. He mocks victims, toys with them, plays games and then (attempts to, in some cases) kill the person. He's not like Michael or Jason because he interacts with the other characters, he has his own personality to say the least.

Then you have the killers/movies you named of, like Silence of the Lambs and possibly Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer could be thrown in there too. They are almost realistic characters, well, way more realistic than Jason and Michael.

I don't know, this is just how I see it.

I personally don't think Halloween lived up to its classic status for me either, I never liked the Friday 13th films as some people (though I do enjoy part 4 quite a bit) and I kinda get the original point to a degree. But I think though part 4 of friday the 13th, as like for many people is just a popcorn flick there isn't anything inherently wrong with that. Now I ask whats wrong with that. Sometimes its just mood you are in. If I feel like a more complex movie I Saw The Devil (a 10/10 film for me by the way), Seven etc then I will enjoy them just as much. In fact they are out of the two type of films my fav but as I say i have nothing against Halloween, Friday 13th etc and the approach they take.

The most scary killer for me is the one in the original Black Christmas (1974), anyways. Now thats one VERY creepy dude. I think, that personally its a far superior movie to Halloween and a lot of other slashers that followed it, incorporating quite complex female characters and very effectively orchestrated suspense which I havent experienced nearly as well in other slashers.

I prefer Krueger and other supernatural killers than Myers, Jason and the like. I mean, there's already psychopaths out there. It's not everyday you hear someone was eviscerated by a ghost because people can't believe something like that. Legends like Bloody Mary, the Bell Witch chills me due to supernatural being unknown. (I know I'm derailing, but I'm on a roll)

Michael Myers was initially interesting since he was giving off a "boogeyman" vibe, hiding in the shadows until he strikes. Jason...doesn't interest me, but that's due to not liking the series.

I'll echo what Scaves mentioned about Henry. There was something about him that was mysterious. The flesh was a facade, but behind his eyes you knew something darker dwelled beneath his flesh.

I just spilled my mind. Probably went off topic.

Edit: ^^I completely forgot about "Billy" from Black Christmas. Oh well.

Last edited by HypnoticDead89 (2013-01-25 16:30:28)

azathoth wrote:

Jigsaw was interesting for a bit, then got stupid.

This was funny...thanks.

Xytras - I get what you mean, and I doubt anyone will get overly worked up about this.  Especially with the respectful way you approached this.

I love Michael and Freddy, and my favorite is Jason.  Yet, I don't find the movies particularly scary, but the idea of them is...to me.  They are not overly complex, they kill, and they are messed up for various reasons. 

You mention Hannibal as one of the most scary.  See, this is where opinion sets in.  To me, Hannibal is one of the least scary.  If one of the main "Slashers" was going to come after me, I would want it to be Hannibal, because I would just beat him up.  smile  Seriously, the scene with the guards in Silence?  C'mon.  However, I'm not knocking others for finding him scary (not that you were knockin anyone)...its just a difference of taste.

Friday, Halloween and Nightmare all developed a huge following.  Mainly, IMHO, due to amazing first (and potentially more than that) entry into the series.  Then the movies snowballed to extreme popularity.  However, that doesn't mean they are better / scarier than other less known slashers.

Jusy my opinion.  smile

* Edit *

HypnoticDead89 - I'm totally with ya on the supernatural killers.  That stuff freaks me out.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2013-01-25 23:25:11)

^^

Hmmm. That's an interesting take Ghost! To meet a movie killer in a real life. I'd like to see a poll something along the lines of "Which killer you most and least would want to face?" That could be fun!

OK I start:

Want to face the most: Myers. A dude with a mask who moves at a snail pace? Too obvious for me. Sure he has a knack to appear from nowhere but if I am aware of my surroundings I am pretty sure I can outrun him even at my age of 41. LOL

Want to face the least: That dude from I saw the Devil gives me a shivers every time. Sure he looks like a total nut but it's more about his approach to violence that makes me uneasy. You know you'll die painfully ans slowly.

Xytras wrote:

^^

Hmmm. That's an interesting take Ghost! To meet a movie killer in a real life. I'd like to see a poll something along the lines of "Which killer you most and least would want to face?" That could be fun!

OK I start:

Want to face the most: Myers. A dude with a mask who moves at a snail pace? Too obvious for me. Sure he has a knack to appear from nowhere but if I am aware of my surroundings I am pretty sure I can outrun him even at my age of 41. LOL

Want to face the least: That dude from I saw the Devil gives me a shivers every time. Sure he looks like a total nut but it's more about his approach to violence that makes me uneasy. You know you'll die painfully ans slowly.

I suppose the problem with just running away is that he is essentially invincible in the films, so he may eventually sneak up on you. Saying that jumping on a plane to some distant destination will probably throw him off. I cant see him booking a plane, turning up at the departures desk, speaking to the woman behind it and boarding the plane very easily. He would certainly draw some strange and very suspicious looks on the account of his clothes and mask and the fact he doesn't talk. lol

^^
Yeah, but fly attendant would love him, Dude just unable to complain. LOL

Xytras wrote:

^^
Yeah, but fly attendant would love him, Dude just unable to complain. LOL

Ryan Air would love him then lol

I have no idea where this came from, but I just had a mental image of the "big 3" running around on pogo-sticks.  Yeah, I'm weird.