Topic: Does anybody care about the camera?

Since the title of this particular forum has the word "FilmMaking" in it, I figured maybe we could chat about cameras a little. As a filmmaker myself, and a cinematographer, I'm kind of crazy about the cameras, lenses and lighting used in films, whether they be horror or not. I've used all types of rigs for making films, and though I love film, digital technology is where it's at today (and for the future). On the first horror short film I made, I used a Panasonic HVX200 small chip camera with a 35mm lens adapter on it. For the time it worked well (and the film was ultra low budget). I've since moved on to large sensor cameras having filmed the last horror feature with a Red One camera. My next film "Normal" (starts filming in May) will be using the Red Epic X camera. We had a little more budget for those (plus I own the camera), but we're still in the micro budget arena. What are your thoughts on cameras for the productions you have been doing?

Re: Does anybody care about the camera?

I'm just a techy who happens to like movies, so I don't use any of them, just read about them.  The RED line seems impressive, in my less-than-amateur opinion.

I'm all about top end electronics and think that even grandparents should have crap they don't need, lol (except kids, I hate it when kids have iphones and stuff like that...it's like go outside lol).  For film making, it's all about what technology you use.  Even a 500 dollar difference will make a bad picture good.

^^
Just a FYI, Garden, an EPIC X costs $19K- $43K, depending on lenses, etc.

I wasn't responding to anything in particular, just in general to the title of the tread, and I'm aware of the price lol.  Something like that doesn't go unnoticed.  I just know some wanna be film makers with 1500 dollar cameras thinking they can get quality...and they very well could  but spend a little more money and you get better features that will help in post production.

I was just pointing out he owns a $20K camera, so $500 wouldn't do much.  Well, it could buy a new lens I guess.
Or not, they start at $4K!

I'm that guy where I feel like I'm always down in the dumps, but a couple thousand difference is nothing haha.  I own a 600 dollar surge protector LOL and that's not even the GOOD one.  I'm more of an audiophile than I am with cameras.  To me, a sound system that costs less than 20,000 dollars isn't worth anything.  If I get back into cameras, it will be about the same.  Life's too precious to rely on memory.  However i'd use it for personal use so I'd probably spend 2-3K on just a personal camera.  I don't need anything fancy

Certainly cameras have become democratized. It wasn't long ago where you couldn't touch a professional camera. Now, a GoPro is a couple hundred bucks and is better quality than stuff used in the professional broadcast industry just 15 years ago. DSLR's that make beautiful video can be had for a few thousand, so really almost anybody with a good idea can make a movie because cameras are everywhere, and easily accessible. GoPros are pretty cool to get into places where much larger cameras could never go and some sweet shots can be had. Lenses are a whole different topic, but, some of the really good glass that was deemed useless just a few years ago, can now live another life on many of the new cameras coming out, like Canon FD lenses. Still inexpensive, but my guess is they are going to be hard to get in a few years!

Technology has certainly evolved to wonderful places.  Just imagine where it will be in 5 years, 10 years....I love it!

Interesting topic. I'm in no way a director but like a certain look in horror films. I have commented a bit on the type of film I personally want to see more of these days. The old Super 8, Super 16 and 35mm imo are what makes that gritty, grainy, saturated dark feel I personally want to see in horror flicks.

Interesting topic. I'm in no way a director but like a certain look in horror films. I have commented a bit on the type of film I personally want to see more of these days. The old Super 8, Super 16 and 35mm imo are what makes that gritty, grainy, saturated dark feel I personally want to see in horror flicks.

Unfortunately real film is becoming a very niche market. It's expensive to buy, difficult and expensive to get developed, you have to wait a week or so for the development process to be complete (because you have to send it out) before you can see what you filmed, and then you need a projector to be able to watch it (or a film editor) in order to edit it. And after all that, you'll end up transfering it to digital for release to theatres or DVD etc. Digital filmmaking is overtaking the film world. Fortunately there are a lot of software programs that allow you to pretty much create any kind of look you want digitally, including those cool 8, 16 and 35mm film looks. In fact you can digitally give the data a specific film look that can't even be bought on actual film anaymore. And if you have an iphone, there is a cool app called Super 8 that allows you to film on your phone and apply great super 8 looks to what you've filmed on your phone. It's pretty cool!

There was a time when video could not compete with film but that's past. I shot my first film on 16mm, then my flick "Fear of Clowns" that Lionsgate picked up was shot on a Panasonic DVX. Since then we moved up and the latest was shot on the Red One, which is an incredible camera.

It's shooting 35mm sized frames, and if you wanna try hard enough you can add realistic grain via filters.

But honestly, if you want to shoot a movie on a tiny budget the best thing to do is rent a DSLR(or buy a T2i for under $500)--the trick is in the lenses. You need to RENT incredible lenses. A T2i with a nice Zeiss lens will shoot a picture nearly as nice as a Red with a mediocre lens. (but frame size will never be as large as a Red shooting 4K)

The script is more important than the camera in any event.

I think we live in this picture-perfect obsessed world. Everything has to look and sound dynamic! HD and 3D. Bigger and brighter. Just big, big big. But if Hollywood has taught us anything, it's that even a turd can look pretty if you throw enough glitter on it. With THAT said, I believe there is a format for everything as each project is somewhat unique in itself? Right now, the whole "found footage' is king and that stuff is usually being shot with that "Timmy's first birthday" home-movie low rez gear. Why? Because it just works so damn well in the context of the story.

ME, I'm currently shooting and in love with the Rebel t3i. But when the mood strikes, i'll break out my canon GL2! So, to answer your question. ANYTHING that can shoot and edit moving images works. From your cellphone camera to a Red, like the man above said, it's what you do with the script. smile

while I have a moment, I'll chime in.

For "The Truck" (that starts filming tomorrow), we're using 2 Canon t3i cams. We also have a Panasonic HMC200 I believe it is. That's handy for behind the scenes footage and extra shots in case we need.

Cameras are important to me because I like hi-def knowing that you can doctor it in post to add grit or whatever according to subject material/genre.

On GT we used a Sony EX-1 Cine Alta with a Letus lens package. It was great for the picture and had superior color.

Last edited by aceofspades70 (2013-03-18 09:51:40)

aceofspades70 wrote:

while I have a moment, I'll chime in.

For "The Truck" (that starts filming tomorrow), we're using 2 Canon t3i cams. We also have a Panasonic HMC200 I believe it is. That's handy for behind the scenes footage and extra shots in case we need.

Cameras are important to me because I like hi-def knowing that you can doctor it in post to add grit or whatever according to subject material/genre.

On GT we used a Sony EX-1 Cine Alta with a Letus lens package. It was great for the picture and had superior color.

I'm curious why your not using the EX-1 w/Letus (if you have access to it) as opposed to the T3i, if only for ease of use and ease of sound. Yes, the T3i has a larger chip, but you get around that with the Letus (for the DOF issue) and you have a much easier camera to work with (built for moving pictures as opposed to stills). Plus I think the compression and aliasing is much greater in the T3i (being a single CMOS chip), which will cause problems when trying to blow up the image for big screen.

That being said, the T3i is an excellent DSLR.

Good luck with "The Truck". I'm looking forward to it!

^^
The EX-1 from GT was another guy's rig.  I guess he's and his equipment are not available for the new film.

It's all about access!! You work with what you got!