Topic: Most Shocking Death Scenes?

Hi everyone,

I was talking about this with a friend recently and thought it made a nice little forum thread idea. So, what are the most shocking death scenes in cinema?

One that instantly springs to mind for me has got to be from the very start of Sinister. The very opening shot, straight away we see a family of 4 being hanged. It's just a single unflinching shot that seems to last for ages. What an opening! Once you see that, you know you're in for a very special movie!

Another one that I thought of - completely different to Sinister! - is the death scene in Bambi. If you want to traumatise a kid, stick on Bambi...or Lion King!

So what are your most shocking cinematic death or murder scenes? Which ones either made you jump back in horror, or burst with emotion?

Re: Most Shocking Death Scenes?

The main girls death in The Girl Next Door is deeply shocking and affecting.

Some death scenes that stick out to me:

The Omen-  Decapitation from a sheet of glass.

Maniac-  Tom Savini gets his head blown off by a shotgun through the car window

Scanners-  Awesome head explosion

Tenebre-  A girl gets her hand cut off and sprays blood all over the walls

Suspiria-  A girl falls through the glass at the beginning of the movie.

Friday the 13th- Kevin Bacon gets an arrow through the throat

NOES- The girl being dragged around the walls and ceiling

That's all that popped into my head for now...  I will add more later

Almost forgot the shower scene in Psycho!  It is still one of my favourite death scenes of all time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/3 … 48950.html

http://anythinghorror.com/2010/10/27/16 … e-mention/

Sheep takes an RPG in Bad Taste.

Razor monkey at the end of Tenebrae.

Chest burster in Alien.

Ax decapitation dream in Witchboard.

Can't remember which Halloween...H2O perhaps..
The part where the kid gets the ice skate in the face. That always stands out.

The bus death in Final Destination. I just didn't see it coming and the first time I seen it I had a real jolt reaction from it.

The anal shotgun - I spit remake. Bitter sweet but brutal.

Emotion bursting? Not many but Simon Rumleys Red White and Blue - The death of Frankie. It was long and drawn out, brutal and heartbreaking. I also cried (pisses me off that I did!) when The girl died in the girl next door. Even though I knew it was coming because I know the real story. A beautiful moment that will stick with me for a while.

In The Woman when Angela Bettis' character died. I was just not expecting her to be killed but on second viewing I understood it.

Forgot to mention the kirb stomp from American History X. Shocked me to the core.

azathoth wrote:

Razor monkey at the end of Tenebrae.

I believe you got the wrong movie, Phenomena maybe?

You wanna talk about deeply disturbing...

In Her Skin - See it, you'll know.

Cannibal Holocaust - the whole finale was shocking to me.

The Beyond - The girls head...nuff said.

The Hills Have Eyes (2006) - There are some pretty shocking deaths in this one but in particular the older sister with the baby, her death shocked and suprised me.

Last House on the Left (1974) - The rape and deaths of both girls is quite disturbing.

^^
Blurg, you're correct, it was Phenomena.  I was still thinking about DG's list.  Stoopid monkey.

If we are talking about an emotionally disturbing death in a movie, besides The Girl Next Door the other one that bugged me was the death of a character at the end of Kill List.  I shouldn't say who because it would spoil the ending if you haven't seen it yet.

^ good one DG, that was shocking to say the least!

Last edited by ChainSaW80 (2013-01-20 20:26:53)

UltraViolence wrote:

Yeah indeed.
Another one I liked was the dude in the first Resident Evil cut in pieces by the security of the Red Queen.
And the slashing off the head off Craven in Underworld Evolution by Markus. Brutal.

But nothing yet beats the anal shotgun. For me.

DirtyGirl wrote:

If we are talking about an emotionally disturbing death in a movie, besides The Girl Next Door the other one that bugged me was the death of a character at the end of Kill List.  I shouldn't say who because it would spoil the ending if you haven't seen it yet.

We had a massive discussion on the similarities of Kill List and A Serbian film due to ending, over all feel and the storyline of a father going back to work only for it to be the beginning of the end. The ending would have been shocking if the rest of the film had kept me interested hmm

Nobody mentioned the kill in Prowler?

The one where I guy gets a knife through the head is definitely one of the most shocking for me.

Argento's are definitely shocking.

Intruder has a nice one where blood drips onto the light and turns the light red.  It was just shocking at how well done it was.

I'm sure the spree in the Burning has been mentioned.

What about Phantasm when the medal ball thing shoots blood out the back of it after it makes a kill?

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2013-01-21 12:59:29)

kXnPunk wrote:
UltraViolence wrote:

Yeah indeed.
Another one I liked was the dude in the first Resident Evil cut in pieces by the security of the Red Queen.
And the slashing off the head off Craven in Underworld Evolution by Markus. Brutal.

But nothing yet beats the anal shotgun. For me.

Hell I think nearly revenge death in that was pretty memorable and brutal. 2 words. Fish hooks. Eyelids.

^^^
H3LL yeah, that was was sick too.
Anyways, all the kills in this movie are brutal, the acid bath scene was also mad...

I know it's not a movie, but Lori's death on The Walking Dead. I was truly shocked.

Wow can't believe no one's mentioned Seed yet!  The death of that one woman in the room really impacted me.  I think the scenes of animal abuse during the opening credits really make you feel like the other things happening in the movie are real as well.

^^^
Oh yeah, that was very, very nice. Shocking movie.

And one that slipped my mind is Viktor's Death in Underworld when Selene slashes his head. I SCREEEAAAMED when I first saw that scene and stood up.

Yeah, was in the cinema and people were looking at me like what the H3LL is wrong with this guy??? lol

Evan's death in The Butterfly Effect. In one of the alternate endings, he goes back in time to make sure he dies as a baby and it is dark and depressing out of all the alternate endings shown on the DVD.

^^^
True. What a movie, amazing.
Have you seen the sequels???

kXnPunk wrote:

^^^
True. What a movie, amazing.
Have you seen the sequels???

I saw the second and I was dissapointed. But it's direct to dvd so I wasn't expecting anything grand.

^^^
Yeah so was I but I found the third one pretty cool.