Topic: Good Foreign Horror

A quick check of HM's foreign horror area did not yield any results for a general discussion Thread for foreign horror films.  So, thought I'd start one.  Most of the Threads in this area are for particular movies.

I actually credit HM for my relatively new love of many foreign horror movies.  It had nothing to do with thinking my country (The States) makes better movies.  It is a matter of my language being English.  I considered it quite irritating to watch a movie with subtitles or dubbing.  I've now seen too many great foreign movies to let that issue stop me.  Many of these movies I wouldn't of even heard of if not for the great members of HM.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy and I Saw the Devil are two obvious ones that stand out.

I recently saw another one - The Hidden Face.  Not gory or scary, but has a sickness to it.  Really original idea.  Kind of a disappointing ending, but worth a watch.

Re: Good Foreign Horror

I was sooooo disapointed by The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo as I saw Millenium the 3 of them before and well, shows it's an american remake, not the real stuff from Sweden. Noomie Rapace is just BRILLIANT in these. And it brought me back to this great country I visited a while back. I LOVE Scandinavia, might be because I was a Viking in a previous life. lol

The norvegian THALE is a freaking MARVEL!!!
One of my favorite last year. smile

As everything these guys do. I wonder what they eat to make movies that good.

Dead Snow and Troll Hunter.for example are from there too.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-01-27 22:21:17)

That's what I was referring to Punk...The Millennium series.  I haven't seen the American version and don't plan to.  Thought the first of the series was great, the second okay and the third really good.

Dead Snow and Troll Hunter...awesome.

Haven't seen Thale.

Don't see it, especially if you liked Millenium. I was so pissed after it.
Yeah the third is my favorite.
What a freaking imbecile her father was. I loved when she kills him a lot. And man, that painless dude, crazy.

I'm a big Asian drama watcher big_smile
So subtitles don't bother me.
I did come across recently, more than once, a Japanese movie called 'Suicide Club'
Thinking about checking it out.

^^
Good one. 
Another I watched recently was Noroi: The Curse (2005).  By the same director, Shirome (2010), which I haven't seen yet but I was told was fairly crazy (not Hausu crazy, though) and good.

MoonRaven wrote:

I did come across recently, more than once, a Japanese movie called 'Suicide Club' Thinking about checking it out.

Do it! It's awesome. I freakin' love Suicide Club. big_smile

You should check out some of the French horror flicks if you haven't yet. Martyrs, High Tension, Frontiers and especially Inside.

Yeah Suicide Club is a blast. So is Noroi.
And man, I dig french Horror. Well that's the language I speak and I lived there 4 years so no wonder. smile
High Tension and Inside are my favorites.
St-Ange is quite impressive too. Called House Of Voices in english.

My list, in no specific order, is as follows:
[Rec] (spain)
[Rec] 2 (spain)
Trollhunter (norway)
I Saw the Devil (korea)
Dream Home (japan)

most of the greatest ones are dubbed anyway.. see Italian spaghetti horror and the giallo film..

I adore the Italian horror flicks from the 70's and 80's. So many great WTF moments, and though most of them didn't make a lick of sense you just can't help but be endeared to them.

It's a shame the archives here seem to have been wiped out.  A search should turn up a lot of discussion from just a couple years ago and back, but it all seems missing. For me, foreign horror starts with Hammer and then proceeds to the Italians and to the late great Paul Naschy. Of course, without Hitchcock we probably wouldn't have had the Italian masters.

Deth_Banger wrote:
MoonRaven wrote:

I did come across recently, more than once, a Japanese movie called 'Suicide Club' Thinking about checking it out.

Do it! It's awesome. I freakin' love Suicide Club. big_smile

Don't think Suicide club knows what genre it's trying to be - comes across as a bit confusing. The trailer for that movie has a strong ghost influence with the flicking lights and long hair coming out from the photocopier/fax machine yet nothing of the sort was in the movie but you still got a ghost segment which went nowhere.

Suicide Club was going along great until it cuts to the cult or whatever it was in the bowling alley (I think it was a bowling alley?).  From that point on, I was completely lost.  Couldn't figure out what the hell was going on.

I like not being able to figure out what the H3LL is going on and that's probably why I LOVE Suicide Club THAT MUCH!!! lol

watched the french horror film Fascination the other night on netflix....
so many naked women....
anyways....the opening scene.....
two beautiful french women....
one in black....one in white....
standing in the middle of a butcher shop...
ox carcass' and hooks hanging from everywhere..
the floor stained red with blood and littered with chunks of meat(chunks of meat are always a good addition to blood puddles)....
they drink blood to cure anemia....
theres a close up on one girl applying blood to her lips like lipstick with her finger...not too crazy....
except that this shot goes on for a whole minute....haha......
but yeah....lots of naked french women....
i wish more italian films were available on netflix....
i hear so much about them...yet i've only seen Black Sunday....
and its hard for me to fully enjoy black and white...
because humanly fluids range from red to green.....
i own Cemetary Man which i love very much....
gives an excellent atmosphere of claustrophobia....
comedy and gore...and a twisted sort of love...
but i need more!!!

I don't like too much horror movies most but I like Alive Or Dead movie most!!

Not necessarily Horror but still extremely sick is VINYAN (2008) with the awesome Emmanuelle Béart and Rufus Sewell. Disturbing, very.

Here is a list of what I consider to be the best foreign horror films I have seen.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Nosferatu (1922)
M
I Vampiri
Eyes Without a Face
Black Sunday
Black Sabbath
Venus In Furs
A Bay Of Blood
Don't Torture A Duckling
Zombie 2 (Zombie Flesh Eaters)
Nosferatu (1979)
Tenenbre
Razorback
Nekromantik (JUst for its WTF,ness)
Cemetary Man
Thesis
The Devil's Backbone
Battle Royale
Suicide Club
Dark Water (2002)
Wolf Creek
High Tension
Ils (Them)
The Host
REC
Martyrs
Dead Snow
Bedevilled
Rare Exports
I Saw The Devil
Primal
REC 3
Sleep Tight

Last edited by Vasquez (2013-08-03 10:03:11)

^^^
Ahhh man, Necromantik is brilliantly weird.

Gotta add THALE to this. Norvegian Horror is great.

Vasquez wrote:

Here is a list of what I consider to be the best foreign horror films I have seen.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Nosferatu (1922)
M
I Vampiri
Eyes Without a Face
Black Sunday
Black Sabbath
A Bay Of Blood
Don't Torture A Duckling
Zombie 2 (Zombie Flesh Eaters)
Nosferatu (1979)
Tenenbre
Razorback
Nekromantik (JUst for its WTF,ness)
Cemetary Man
Thesis
The Devil's Backbone
Battle Royale
Suicide Club
Dark Water (2002)
Wolf Creek
High Tension
Ils (Them)
The Host
REC
Martyrs
Dead Snow
Bedevilled
Rare Exports
I Saw The Devil
Primal
REC 3
Sleep Tight

How could I go and nearly forget The Devil's Backbone. Stupid Me!

kXnPunk wrote:

^^^
Ahhh man, Necromantik is brilliantly weird.

Gotta add THALE to this. Norvegian Horror is great.

Despite her rather weird fetish the chick is pretty hot in that film. Call me sick but I wish there was more scenes with just her rather than her and the guy.

I wish she was in her gas mask bare naked all movie long. lol

But that scene was just beutiful... Breath taking visuals this film has.

http://moviesfilmsandflix.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/660d8-thalemovie5.png?w=545&h=340

Last foreign horror I watched was Night of The Devils (1972) 'La Notte Dei Diavoli' by Giorgio
Ferroni

This is basically a full feature length film of the same story that inspired the Vulderlak segment in Mario Bava's Black Sabbath (1964).
It is a pretty good film though. Not that far from matching Bava in the visual stakes (but to do so is pretty impossible). The performances are perhaps stronger from the cast (but not stronger than Karloff's same character in Black Sabbath). On its plus side I guess its got boobs and more gore in it. Overall a 8.

Recommended for those who like old school 60/70's foreign horror.