Topic: Horror Make Up Artists?

Hi all,

Being horror fans, we love gore, guts and gruesome special effects. So here's a thread to discuss your favourite make up artists of the horror world. Who are your favourites and what of their work do you like best?

You can't beat Tom Savini in my opinion! Truly the champion of his craft. There's so many great effects of his to choose from - it's so tough.

More recently, there's an up and coming artist who I think is just fantastic. Whilst dealing with lots and lots of gore, he also has a knack for more subtle effects. Yep, of course, it's Todd Masters! He did a brilliantly gruesome job with True Blood and his latest work in (the absolute MUST SEE!) American Mary is also amazing too...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/1546685f027ee9eb4df161f1d9f8586c/tumblr_mgnaejM2So1ruhqgxo1_500.gif

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_XMuuQ7J2wU/UJahpUAjpVI/AAAAAAAAGH0/9fZsZBBCw0U/s1600/American+Mary+Beatress.jpg

^ A few subtly creepy stills from American Mary...

So what's everyone's favourite make up artist and master of gore?

Re: Horror Make Up Artists?

Tom Savini is my favorite,  and I'm also a big fan of Greg Nicotero, his work is fantastic.

My faves are mostly the ones you always hear about, and a couple less popular but still excellent ones:

Savini
Dick Smith
Lon Chaney
Steve Johnson
Rob Bottin
Rick Baker
Chris Walace
Screaming Mad George
Stan Winston
Giannetto De Rossi
Adrien Morot
Sergio Stivalletti
Joe Blasco
The KNB guys
Gillis & Woodruff
Carlo Rambaldi

Not horror, but I've always loved Harryhausen's work.  Yeah, I'm old, deal with, and get off my lawn!

Some I like that haven't been mentioned yet:

Robert Kurtzman
David Greathouse
Robert Hall

LivingDeadDoll wrote:

Tom Savini is my favorite,  and I'm also a big fan of Greg Nicotero, his work is fantastic.

Greg does very little FX work actually. He just marshals an incredible troupe of FX artists who do most everything. Greg is the brains not the talent behind his company.

Last edited by Bunshinsaba (2014-05-27 18:52:30)

LoudLon wrote:

My faves are mostly the ones you always hear about, and a couple less popular but still excellent ones:

Savini
Dick Smith
Lon Chaney
Steve Johnson
Rob Bottin
Rick Baker
Chris Walace
Screaming Mad George
Stan Winston
Giannetto De Rossi
Adrien Morot
Sergio Stivalletti
Joe Blasco
The KNB guys
Gillis & Woodruff
Carlo Rambaldi

It's sad how the industry is changing. Baker is practically retired cuz no one is willing to pay him is deserved rate, and even fewer are willing to let him do his craft to its full potential. Even on the remake of The Wolfman, he had little say in the FX, and was forced to "heel" to the whim of producers who elected CGI in main key transformations. Such a shame. 

BTW... your list is bang on.

Steve Johnson gets my vote for the Best Werewolf EVER award.  Bad Moon. And another film that elected dreadful CGI for transformations. Boo!!!

Steve's wolf. Nuff said!

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv68/ghostcinderella/156394_10151898415423693_1705409260_n_zpse29e50a1.jpg

I've talked about the Scream Greats vid before with Tom Savini - Lon has this on VHS if i recall…way before i was in the industry it gave me a true appreciation of the work involved in making the moments of some of our greatest gore. everyone should track it..i seem to remember it being on YOUtube, with LON leading that charge.

That being said, i have a huge weak spot for Rob Bottin and what he was doing in the THING. Freakin' amazing choices, from conception through to execution.

Of course Rick Baker for American Werewolf in London.

Lon Chaney gets HUGE props for doing it first and setting the standard.

Last edited by FlickCromwell (2014-06-03 23:22:48)

Here is that link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpWOM2x0AxQ

Enjoy.

FC wink

I had the pleasure of meeting the KNB gang on Masters of Horror.

Greg was super cool and Howard was awesome. Loved seeing those guys build gags and execute them.

Pardon the pun.