Topic: Vlad Tepes,hero or monster,or neither.

Was Vlad Tepes,historical inspiration for Bram Stoker's Dracula a hero or an monster,or neither?

Last edited by hellrat (2013-01-27 21:21:06)

Re: Vlad Tepes,hero or monster,or neither.

Depends how you want to look at it.  He protected his homelands of Hungary and Wllachia well, and spanked the Ottomans nicely a few times.  So that's fairly heroic.

He also impaled 10,000s of the enemy, which is really a bad way to die, especially once I watched a docu on how the impalement actually worked (it took a while to die).  That's rather evil.

neithier

Subjective.  To his people, a hero.  To those he killed, a monster -- and a sadistic one at that.  History doesn't tend to regard sadists in a postiive light.

I just finished the book the Historian this morning it was about this very subject...odd

revengebiteme wrote:

I just finished the book the Historian this morning it was about this very subject...odd

I have that book smile
I don't think I read it yet. I can't remember :\
But I DID read, Vlad: The Last Confession. I liked it.

Last edited by MoonRaven (2013-01-28 18:52:27)

He certainly was sadistic.  He liked to impale people and then watch them die slowly.  Often dining and entertaining guests under the people on stakes. 

Supposedly one guest complained of the stench so he had him impaled higher than the others so the stench wouldn't bother him anymore. 

He also invited every beggar, cripple, and mentally disabled person from his village to a feast.  He asked if they were happy and if they would rather never have to work another day in their lives.  After everyone cheered he left the hall, locked the doors and set the hall on fire so there were no survivors.

He was obsessed with honesty.  he kept a gold cup at the fountain in the centre of the village for all to use but no one ever stole it because the punishment for stealing was impalement.  After catching a group of boys stealing apples, he ordered them buried alive with air holes and some water.  He said that he wanted them to eat each other to survive and that the last boy to survive would be set free.

After he was imprisoned, he enjoyed torturing bugs and small rodents the way he had previously tortured people.  He impaled them on small sticks.