Topic: American Mary (2012) (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS)

I watched this last night and fell completely in love with it. I gave it a 9/10 which I hardly ever give, it was just that good. I'm interested to know what everyone else who's seen it thinks of it

I loved Katharine Isabelle. I thought was incredible and really gave it her all. I was completely riveted the entire way through!

Re: American Mary (2012) (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS)

I really enjoyed this movie as well.  Ok so I MAY be a tiny bit of a feminist, and I absolutely love it when there's a strong female lead who doesn't depend on the help of men to get her by.  And although Mary has some help from a few dudes in this movie, she does most everything herself AND she looks smokin' hot while taking care of her shit.

I know I'm going to end up watching this one a second time sometime this week just to really soak everything in.

I was going to post but I may aswell just quote you - you've hit it spot on! I might be a bit (read mahoosive) feminist too and strong female leads are one of my favourite things ever to see in horror. Plus being directed by women, I think I was always going to be a teensy bit biased towards it, but I genuinely loved everything about it. At first I wasn't sure I liked the ending but after giving it a lot of thought I don't think they could have ended it a better way.

She looks sooooo hot it's frickin unbelievable. I'm trying not to re-watch things as I'm going for 365 horror movies this year but I'm going to have to have an exception on this one

Well as long as you watch a different horror the same day....You can totally sneak it in again!

Yes I also love horrors directed by women.  It makes me wonder if the twins in the movie were a reflection of the two directors? lol j/k.

I think that may be why I love American Psycho so much.  Even though it's a male lead, Mary Herron did such a beautiful job directing it.

http://www.horror-movies.ca/american-ma … -review-2/

Here's my review, I won't paste it all here because it's sort of long.

What is the plot hole you speak of?

I'm not sure if you could call it a plot hole exactly, but near the end when the police man enters Mary's home (just after the 'weird penis guy' scene) and Mary tidies up the home. He then enters her home, and barely anything comes of the scene. If he just investigated the home, the ending we got which wasn't much either, would of not happened.

But then again, this is just my view. tongue

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

I'm not sure if you could call it a plot hole exactly, but near the end when the police man enters Mary's home (just after the 'weird penis guy' scene) and Mary tidies up the home. He then enters her home, and barely anything comes of the scene. If he just investigated the home, the ending we got which wasn't much either, would of not happened.

He didn't really investigate her home....He just walked in and said a few lines to her.  If he did investigate I'm sure he would have found the room she shut the door to.

As I have said many times before It was undoubtedly the best film of Frighfest for me, my N1 film of 2012 and in Katherine Isabelle on of the strongest performances i have seen recently (American Mary being a very interesting and 3 dimensional character). Lastly it was very impressive visually. Additionally, unlike other films with torture scenes it also didn't rely on excessive gore to make a impact.

HorrorQueen17 wrote:

I watched this last night and fell completely in love with it. I gave it a 9/10 which I hardly ever give, it was just that good. I'm interested to know what everyone else who's seen it thinks of it

I loved Katharine Isabelle. I thought was incredible and really gave it her all. I was completely riveted the entire way through!

Does this replace Inbred (which Im afraid I was not very impressed with, overall 5/10 for me) as your N1 film of 2012 HorrorQueen?

Evelyn Williams wrote:
Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

He didn't really investigate her home....He just walked in and said a few lines to her.  If he did investigate I'm sure he would have found the room she shut the door to.

That's my entire point, if he done that, we wouldn't of got the ending we did.

I don't think he came round to investigate her home though, as he would have needed a warrant for that. And it was instrumental in Mary finding out that Billy had done something to Mr Walsh.

And I initially thought the ending was weak but then I realised it wasn't; I wouldn't want it any other way because although I really really liked the character of Mary, if they had left her doing what she was doing, it would have been totally ineffective, and if they'd made her live happily ever after  it would have jarred completely with the rest of the film. That's what I think, anyway!

Vasquez wrote:

Does this replace Inbred (which Im afraid I was not very impressed with, overall 5/10 for me) as your N1 film of 2012 HorrorQueen?

Ah Vas, that is a very tough question! I would say it is at least joint no.1. I think I enjoyed Inbred a lot more because it was set and filmed very close to me. In terms of just the merits of what was on screen alone, I think I prefer American Mary, but altogether I'd have them both at number 1

I've watched it past weekend. Loved it as well. Very sad ending though. Definite re-watch.

This is on my "watch immediately" list

Definitely one of the better films to have come out this last year.  A fantastic sophmore effort from the Soska sisters.

I really enjoyed it. I wish the nightclub owners story had been explored a little more and I'd have gotten to see the outcomes of the surgery she performed on the sisters. Was a wee bit disapointed there but overall I liked. I gave an 8/10.

I know what you mean UV. I would have liked to have seen a bit more of the surgery aftermath too, and call me a sadist but I was disappointed that we didn't see enough of her getting her own back on the professor.

I absolutely loved it too.  Now I want to see the twin's other film, dead hooker in a trunk.   

I was surprised it wasn't as gory as I expected it to be.   More of a slow burn intellectual film with good characters.  I am wondering if there were scenes deleted involving the nightclub owner also.  Mary's jealousy seemed out of place.  I liked the ending but it was rather sudden.  A longer fight would have been more interesting.

Last edited by DirtyGirl (2013-02-12 11:48:04)

I enjoyed Dead Hooker. Super low budget and definitely not for everyone, but it was decent. Particularly liked the eye-popping scene wink

Good point about scenes being deleted with the nightclub owner, I was thinking her jealousy didn't seem to quite fit.

Everyone loved a good eye popper!

It seemed to try and do the jaws effect which works so well in more intellectual movies. I'm starting to get fed up of pretentious gore fests lately.

I watched ABC's of Death and the one word I thought described it perfectly was pretentious. All meta and smart-assery, it pissed me off.

There was a lot of that in there. But mostly I loved. Xavier Gens' X and D for dogfight were near perfection for me. The ones done where they were "stuck for ideas" were suckish. And please don't get me started on Ti Wests Miscarriage.

In other news, Dead Hooker is on my watch list for tomorrow night. Soskas star in that too right?

HorrorQueen17 wrote:

I watched ABC's of Death and the one word I thought described it perfectly was pretentious. All meta and smart-assery, it pissed me off.

I personally thought it was a great movie.

And about Ti Wests segment, that was honestly a smart segment. I think so anyway, of course if you have looked up what each letter means before hand and know going in, that hurts a bit of the surprise.

Last edited by Scavenger of Human Sorrow (2013-02-17 17:14:50)

Yeah, I have many of the same quibbles (YAY, I used the word 'quibbles'!) that you lot have already mentioned. The biggest one being why didn't we get to see those two weird German girls become surgcally conjoined? With such a lengthy consultation it seemed anticlimactic to not show the procedure. Also, another bugbear (which has already been nitpicked) was the anomalous scene wherein the club owner asked Mary out, only to be spurned and her apparent jealousy as she watched him get it on with the club tarts. It was as if they totally messed up the editing and continuity.

It raised many more questions than it answered and, sorry to go against the grain here, I found it to be a rather crappy, emo-centric hipster piece that never quite knew what direction to take.

5/10