Topic: Saturday mornings

When I was a kid (back in the 60's, ugh) Saturday mornings to afternoon was when our local non network TV station would show old monster movies and sci fi. I used to love seeing The Wolfman, The Mummy, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Forbidden Planet, The Creature From the Black Lagune, etc. And then later in the day I'd head to the local Strand theatre in my town and they'd have a Creature Double Feature. Saw some great old horror movies there... and serials. Good times...

Re: Saturday mornings

I spent my childhood in the 70s and my teens in the 80s, and in my area Saturday mornings were reserved almost exclusively for cartoons.  The creature feature was actually the Friday night before, hosted by the inimmitable Sammy Terry, who I still love today (I've recently found a number of torrents of his show, recorded from TV during their original broadcasts with commercial breaks intact, which just adds more to the nostalgic value). 

Around 11am on Saturdays we got an hour of wrestling, then it was Black Belt Theater at noon, which I also loved.  Sundays were great too, though.  Our local channel, WDRB-41 out of Louisville, aired non-stop movies from around 6am until 10pm, and always had a hugely diverse line-up.  One minute you'd be watching a Shirley Temple movie, next thing you know it's Attack of the Eye Creatures, then out of left field you're watching a Marx Brothers movie, then they'd change it up with a blockbuster like The Towering Inferno, then you'd get some sleazy actioner like Vigilante... 

Yeah.  Great times.

Lets see...Ninja Turtles, Bugs Bunny....can't remember what else I watched.
But I also spent a lot of Saturday mornings helping my dad outside. He mows the lawns Saturdays so I would sweep up any mess he made cause I would hope he would give me a dollar big_smile

I can't remember which was which - Saturdays and SUndays had old horror (Universal & Hammer) or kung-fu flicks starting around noon.

I spend my Saturday mornings having "alone time" in my room.

If I remember right my local station in Seattle used to play slashers like Halloween and Friday the 13th late on Friday nights.  Saturday and Sunday afternoons were the old Universal and Hammer movies. 

We had a Horror Host called The Count. He was like a Bela Lugosi type vampire.   I also remember watching Elvira and Tales From the Crypt but that must have been much later.

DirtyGirl wrote:

If I remember right my local station in Seattle used to play slashers like Halloween and Friday the 13th late on Friday nights.  Saturday and Sunday afternoons were the old Universal and Hammer movies. 

We had a Horror Host called The Count. He was like a Bela Lugosi type vampire.   I also remember watching Elvira and Tales From the Crypt but that must have been much later.

Seattle?
I live in Everett.
I still remember Elvira's TV show.

azathoth wrote:

I can't remember which was which - Saturdays and SUndays had old horror (Universal & Hammer) or kung-fu flicks starting around noon.

I always loved the Kung-Fu movies with the bad voice dubbing. lol

Here is The Count Hellrat....

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab101/DirtyGirlMovies/count_zps52e3768a.jpg

and here he is with JP Patches...  You must remember JP Patches!   

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab101/DirtyGirlMovies/cpount_jp_zps17f91367.jpg

I grew up in Seattle area but I live in Ontario now smile

Here was my horror host, Sammy Terry...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/loudlon/vlcsnap-2013-01-30-05h07m59s107.png

"In the dead of night,
when the moon is high
and the ill winds blow,
and the banshees cry
and the moonlight casts an unearthly glow...
Arise, my love, with tales of woe!

We had Dr. Shock (Joe Zawislak) in the 70s (Intros to his shows- http://www.maskdr.com/DrShock/clips.html )

Wow.  He looks pretty cool Lon!

Found a video of the count...   Lol

Nightmare Theater, 1978
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euwNTwYQ-rE&sns=tw

Last edited by DirtyGirl (2013-01-30 08:40:05)

TARANTULA (see also COAGULUS, COUNT VON THIRSTENBURG)
    (Paul Kawecki)

Scream-In
        Saturday afternoon at 6:30
        WPGH-TV, Channel 53 (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)
        Late 60's? - ?? 1971

NOTES:

Bob Tinnell, director of the classic-horror-tribute feature Frankenstein and Me, several other very cool movies, and co-author of a series of award-winning, very cinematic graphic novels, recalls:

I remember as a young kid in the late sixties or possibly as late as 1971 a show hosted by a character called Tarantula on WPGH channel 53 in Pittsburgh. Who was this guy? I remember seeing some great stuff on there. I never see anything anywhere.

E-gorespondent Kurt McCoy provides some tantalizing details:

Very shortly after 53 went on the air, I'd have to say in the late '60's or very early '70's since I think Dark Shadows was still on the air at the time, they had a Saturday afternoon horror film show with two hosts. Initially they had a fairly lame vampire "Count" something or other with red hair. He was replaced by another host, called Tarantula. I remember the changeover quite vividly, since the ineffectual old count was staked in his coffin by Tarantula, complete with stage-blood and screams. Pretty gruesome for a Saturday afternoon kiddie show!
            Tarantula was portrayed as a kind of dark occult swinger, with amulets and sideburns and a whispery guru-kind of delivery. Very cynical compared with his predecessor's glib one-liner, lame pun approach. They even had little serial adventures between commercials, usually featuring Tarantula trying to get ahold of some new occult trinket. He was very much the Anti-Hero kind of character, as opposed to the usual amiable eccentric style host. I don't think the show lasted more than a year or so, but I'd love to find out more about it!

E-gorespondent David Silvio remembers:

TV host Tarantula's real name is, I believe, Paul Kawecki, and the name of the show was Scream In. The Count's name was Thirstenburg. Tarantula's servant was Hugo. I remember there was a special episode referred to as "Tarantula Goes To Hell." In 1971 I went to the Pittsburgh Playhouse to see Tarantula and Hugo in person. They did a skit before the screening of Night of the Living Dead.

E-gorespondant FRANK-N_STEIN adds:

I have a few memories of the show from Pittsburgh featuring Tarantula as host. I seem to remember it airing Saturday evenings, although I saw someone said it ran Saturday afternoons.
            Two movies I recall being on that show were Curse of The Demon and another movie that started out with a girl looking into binoculars which shot sharp spikes into her eyes when she adjusted the binoculars.....I can't recall the title of that movie. (It's Horrors of the Black Museum — E-gor.)
            I also recall Tarantula doing skits before, during and after the movie. One time he was being chased by a wizard or some such being. Tarantula's figure was superimposed over another scene making it look like he was running across a narrow stone bridge high above the ground.
            Tarantula also used to use the phrase "And now for some more of my incantational rites" after returning from a commercial break... and right before he'd get into one of his skits.

WPGH Pittsburgh horror host Tarantula and servant Hugo

TARANTULA and his
servant HUGO, hosts
Scream-In on WPGH
Ch. 53, Pittsburgh PA.
Click for larger view.
Of course Saturday Nights was Chilly Billy Cardille I was his wide eyed fan!!!

DirtyGirl wrote:

Wow.  He looks pretty cool Lon!

Found a video of the count...   Lol

Nightmare Theater, 1978
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euwNTwYQ-rE&sns=tw

Funny, Sammy Terry also started with an opening coffin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRhTH3M576U

lol

We didn't have any personalities doing monster movie shows on local TV even though there were blocks of time dedicated to the genre. Boobarella would have been great!

As a kid, my Saturday morning memories are fond. Getting up and pouring a big bowl of Captain- Crunch cereal, parking myself in front of the t.v, watching super hero cartoons like: Spider Man, Space Ghost, Fantastic 4, Captain America.  After the cartoons were over: change the channel and watch a movie like Godzilla, Rodan, or something on Kung-Fu Theater. Man, those were the good ol' days for sure!

Oops...accidental double post. I erased and edited. smile

As for hosts. All I remember was Elvira, and she was on late night.

Last edited by Underdog (2013-01-30 17:54:59)

thats ok UD we all have our moments

but jst for shits and giggles my moment is happwnnein at the moment
absinthe gawd I cant dream it its rweal this shit is amozin for me and like me's

I havemt drank everything from every country but... damn this one I trhink I may be wrong is from France////

take me away frenchy

thats ok UD we all have our moments

but jst for shits and giggles my moment is happwnnein at the moment
absinthe gawd I cant dream it its rweal this shit is amozin for me and like me's

I havemt drank everything from every country but... damn this one I trhink I may be wrong is from France////

take me away frenchy

DirtyGirl wrote:

Here is The Count Hellrat....

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab101/DirtyGirlMovies/count_zps52e3768a.jpg

and here he is with JP Patches...  You must remember JP Patches!   

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab101/DirtyGirlMovies/cpount_jp_zps17f91367.jpg

I grew up in Seattle area but I live in Ontario now smile

Count Hellrat?
So I'm a vampire and never knew it? lol

Underdog wrote:

As a kid, my Saturday morning memories are fond. Getting up and pouring a big bowl of Captain- Crunch cereal, parking myself in front of the t.v, watching super hero cartoons like: Spider Man, Space Ghost, Fantastic 4, Captain America.  After the cartoons were over: change the channel and watch a movie like Godzilla, Rodan, or something on Kung-Fu Theater. Man, those were the good ol' days for sure!

Ultraman!!!!!!