Re: Canadian Horror Renaissance

I never even got thru Hobo// shit

DemonToSome wrote:

I saw Hobo at the Toronto premier with a bunch of the actors and the director there to answer questions after.  It was definitely entertaining.  But I've never watched Hobo again since the premier haha. 

....My mom liked it...?

UltraViolence wrote:

I haven't seen Hobo yet but tbh despite it's hype I'm not convinced. It's like Rubber, the reviews are great but I just can't bring myself to watch it!

Hobo With A Shotgun is ok but nowhere near as good as a lot of people say it is in my honest opinion and Rubber is very poor, a one joke film.

UltraViolence wrote:
Vasquez wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

I would believe it was a renaissance if the movies being mentioned were actually good.  But Dead Hooker in a Trunk was a horrible flick, American Mary was passable at best and Hobo with a Shotgun was, while quite splattery, a pretty crappy flick, as well. 

Just my opinion, of course.  But because the country has increased its genre output in the last few years doesn't make it a renaissance, especially when what they're releasing is mostly junk. hmm

I couldn't disagree more. Granted I havent actually watched Dead Hooker but American Mary I though was VERY good and a fresh of original air. Hobo I loved 2. i felt that it captured the old grindhouse feel far better than say Machete. But i respect ur opinions on these films. U got 2 admit though at least directors like the Soska's, who from my experience of meeting them at Frightfest very genuine and great girls, are actually trying to be original compared to the dreck that comes out of hollywood nowadays.

Aah see I love love love machete. I had such a fucking awesome time watching it! I laughed and I cringed at the same time sometimes. Really captured the grind house feel and restored my faith in Rodriguez and I love Danny trejo and Michelle rodriguez. I am really intrigued by American Mary. Dead hooker in a trunk hasn't really caught my attention but American Mary has made some waves in a few circles I float about in. The soskas are making a name for themselves and I have to see their work.

i too prefer Machete to Hobo With A Shotgun.

They've got a lot to do in my opinion to be as good as Gingers Snaps which to me is the best Horror canadian flick. Yeah, I know, to each his own but I think American Mary will probably sit at it's side.

I just wish my Quebec would do Horror flicks that I could see. But no, damn dead.
Strange because we gave amazing special effects and make up artists here.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-01-30 14:58:42)

Evelyn Williams wrote:
DemonToSome wrote:

I saw Hobo at the Toronto premier with a bunch of the actors and the director there to answer questions after.  It was definitely entertaining.  But I've never watched Hobo again since the premier haha. 

....My mom liked it...?

awesome... I live a bit too far to go to TO for all the premiers but hey thats cool for sure.
I getya once is enoughh if you can get thru it, I guess cool

Kudos to Ginger Snaps and Pontypool, forgot about them.

I understand the Canadian Army all share the same rifle -- do the slashers all share the same machete?

Yah-ha-ha!  See what I did there?

wolfman1959 wrote:
UltraViolence wrote:
Vasquez wrote:

I couldn't disagree more. Granted I havent actually watched Dead Hooker but American Mary I though was VERY good and a fresh of original air. Hobo I loved 2. i felt that it captured the old grindhouse feel far better than say Machete. But i respect ur opinions on these films. U got 2 admit though at least directors like the Soska's, who from my experience of meeting them at Frightfest very genuine and great girls, are actually trying to be original compared to the dreck that comes out of hollywood nowadays.

Aah see I love love love machete. I had such a fucking awesome time watching it! I laughed and I cringed at the same time sometimes. Really captured the grind house feel and restored my faith in Rodriguez and I love Danny trejo and Michelle rodriguez. I am really intrigued by American Mary. Dead hooker in a trunk hasn't really caught my attention but American Mary has made some waves in a few circles I float about in. The soskas are making a name for themselves and I have to see their work.

i too prefer Machete to Hobo With A Shotgun.

Machete felt 2 polished for me and was nowhere as OTT entertaining as Hobo I found. Love the visual style of Hobo, colours like red and yellow that popped off the screen with a neon, comic book vibe (In fact this very much reminds me of New York's 42nd Street exploitation/splatter fare like Street Trash, Basket Case, Toxic Avenger and Frankenhooker. Plus it had some very cool minor characters along with the Hobo character excellently played by veteran non mainstream actor Rutger Heaur (of The Hitcher etc), such as the 2 armoured Henchman 'The Plague'. Importantly the performances of people like Hauer trumped the acting of mainstream stars of Machete such as De Niro. Machete was also visually quite bland; had a more modern cinematographic look to it despite including the typical fake scratches and grain that most modern grindhouse flicks employ - and as I say nowhere near as imaginative or entertaining as Hobo. In fact i think that Hobo cinematographic approach is so much more superior because they intentionally tried to create a exploitation look when filming in the strong contrast and bright neon colours rather than just adding the fake scratches/grain later on. Also Machete was coupled with a clumsy handled political message.

And that is why ladies and Gentlemen Hobo delivered on its initial grindhouse trailer from the Planet Terror/Death Proof grindhouse double bill and Machete failed.

-Give my mr-------------------- mey somma os h-ef -t--aste----- drink -takes

o------------------r else ----------------yu -are -a pitiful wannabee- ...- ---------------f-u-ck ---------------of-f- an -ma-k-e- ne a nillin-ar--ej- ''-----tou

f-----------------r me its ;ajpr sdhrppms

You do speak in riddles. Are you just like permanently messed up or something?

I definitely agree with the Soska Sisters (Jen and Sylv, Twisted Twins, whatever you want to call them) are 2 of the most talented writers/directors I have seen in a really long time, and my all-time favorite directing duo. Dead Hooker In A Trunk wasn't good, because it never intended to be good. American Mary was absolutely phenomenal, partially due to the shining performances by Katharine Isabelle and Tristan Risk.

Unlike other films that supposedly have a deeper meaning (looking at you, Lucifer Valentine), American Mary has so many messages you can spot if you dig deep enough. However, and it's kind of been proven on here again (which is not an insult by any means, just an observation), people don't really look at the bigger picture of things and don't really seem to put in any effort of actually finding out what the creators are trying to say with their piece of art.

I particularly liked "End of the Line", another Canadian horror.  Now though I can't prove it, I would be willing to bet, that Canada may be at the very apex or "horror" productions.  Not just with film but with TV.  The X-Files was originally filmed here, Now "Supernatural" is going on I believe, it's ninth year, "The Bate's Motel" has already been renewed for another season, well you get the idea.  I live outside of Vancouver, and I'm steeped in horror.  If I look out one window, I see film crews, if I look out another, I see Sasquatch.  I am truly blessed.

Oh lucky you. Very cool.

And the Soska have some great stuff on their site. The Give Blood thing is way cool.

But in general we have amazing canadian stuff coming out.
On my side, more and more americans come to do blockbusters in Montreal which is pretty cool.