Re: What R U Reading?

I just started reading "You Suck" by Christopher Moore.  It's the first book of his I've picked up.  It's told from the perspective of a teenager, which is really just rambling lol.

The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley, and after that, Heaven & Hell.

^I read both of those while I was in high school. It's some pretty out there stuff, mostly just drug experiences and self exploration, but I have the feeling I might have a better appreciation for the work now.

FINALLY, finished John Dies at the End.  If the movie is 1/10th of the book, whoa.  Just ordered the sequel from the library.

Eyes Of Prey

I just started House of Leaves.

I'm off to the library shortly to pick up This Book is Full of Spiders.

You will have to let me know what you think of it.

DirtyGirl wrote:

I just started House of Leaves.

It can be daunting at times, but it's a very rewarding read. Let me know what you think.

I just picked Black Hole by Charles Burns. It's a horror graphic novel about a venerial disease that has some very disturbing effects. It has great writing and art, the art style is reminiscent of the old EC comics but all in glorious black and white. I'm really digging it so far.

One of my top ones in which Necronomicon-Lovecraft, Hyperion-Simmons and Dune-Herbert are part of.

But this one is really my all times favorite, hey, normal, CYBERPUNK!!! big_smile

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8119/neuromancien.jpg

Theli wrote:

^I read both of those while I was in high school. It's some pretty out there stuff, mostly just drug experiences and self exploration, but I have the feeling I might have a better appreciation for the work now.

It's very out there, but those are the kinds of subjects that I find to be pretty fascinating, myself. Mescalin experiences written from the mind of an incredibly brilliant and well-known English intellectual are experiences that shouldn't be shrugged off due to the stigma of the substance itself - as I find that some do. "Oh, it's a druggie book." Well, it is and it isn't. It has drug content of course, but it's rather the analysis of visionary experience, the analysis of religion in relation to vision, and the questioning of the biological on goings in the human body and brain during a mescalin trip/visionary experience that make up the bulk of the essays (as opposed to some stoner writing, "So uh, dude, I took peyote, right? And guess what happened..."). /End of very random mini-rant on people who judge books by their cover/ tongue

But yeah, both The Doors of Perception & Heaven and Hell are very interesting reads. Aldous Huxley is/was a boss, to say the least. Which reminds me, I need to re-read Brave New World. Another excellent book.

And, at the moment, I'm reading Hamlet for my English class and War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning by Chris Hedges on my own time.

Oh yeah Brave New World and 1984 are part of my list too. ESPECIALLY 1984, so amazing.

And Brave New World man, what incredible writing.

Animal Farm is another very cool one.

I enjoy Hamlet, great stuff too. Nice how simple words put up a special way can make a really great effect on you.

BOOKS RULE!!! big_smile

Aang The Last Airbender from Avatar RULES!!! So do all the characters of this comic book. Fabulously nice.
Just finished it.
AND FREE to read once you have an account. Thanks Dark Horse power!!! smile
https://digital.darkhorse.com//read/2737/

kXnPunk wrote:

BOOKS RULE!!! big_smile

I agree

MoonRaven wrote:
kXnPunk wrote:

BOOKS RULE!!! big_smile

I agree

I too must provide a hearty 'Hear, hear!'

kXnPunk wrote:

Oh yeah Brave New World and 1984 are part of my list too. ESPECIALLY 1984, so amazing.

And Brave New World man, what incredible writing.

Animal Farm is another very cool one.

I enjoy Hamlet, great stuff too. Nice how simple words put up a special way can make a really great effect on you.

BOOKS RULE!!! big_smile

Brave New World is excellent...and so is Orwell's Animal Farm. Between school and my independent readings, I've read the story at least four times. One of the best pieces of satire/political commentary around. smile

^^^
Oh yes, and I wouldn't have found a better way to descrire it like you did. It's what it says totally. big_smile

50 toe tags to MoonRaven for the Book Love!!! smile

The Creature wrote:
Theli wrote:

It's very out there, but those are the kinds of subjects that I find to be pretty fascinating, myself. Mescalin experiences written from the mind of an incredibly brilliant and well-known English intellectual are experiences that shouldn't be shrugged off due to the stigma of the substance itself - as I find that some do. "Oh, it's a druggie book." Well, it is and it isn't. It has drug content of course, but it's rather the analysis of visionary experience, the analysis of religion in relation to vision, and the questioning of the biological on goings in the human body and brain during a mescalin trip/visionary experience that make up the bulk of the essays (as opposed to some stoner writing, "So uh, dude, I took peyote, right? And guess what happened..."). /End of very random mini-rant on people who judge books by their cover/ tongue

But yeah, both The Doors of Perception & Heaven and Hell are very interesting reads. Aldous Huxley is/was a boss, to say the least. Which reminds me, I need to re-read Brave New World. Another excellent book.

Although perhaps not quite as good, I also liked The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge. It's the author's, Carlos Castaneda, a student of anthropology, research into native american shamanism and his experiences using peyote. Again it's been a while since I've read this one, but I found it pretty interesting from a cultural anthropological point of view, and also as a philosophical book on drug use and exploring ones own psyche.

Gave Chuck Palahniuk's novel Damned a try...I'm a sucker for his work.  It's always a quick read and highly entertaining.  This one was good too. Hell's a bore...

Theli wrote:
The Creature wrote:
Theli wrote:

Although perhaps not quite as good, I also liked The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge. It's the author's, Carlos Castaneda, a student of anthropology, research into native american shamanism and his experiences using peyote. Again it's been a while since I've read this one, but I found it pretty interesting from a cultural anthropological point of view, and also as a philosophical book on drug use and exploring ones own psyche.

Hey, thanks for bringing that title to my attention! Both of those names sound so familiar...I think I've read about them in one of my books on ayahuasca shamanism...maybe. Anyway, I'll keep an eye out for that one and perhaps order it off of Amazon.

Theli wrote:

I LOVE Castaneda. Read that series a lot and each time I saw it differently like what he showed me imprinted in my mind to see things differently everytime. Amazing read. One of the wildest experiences of reading I did with The Perfume by Suskin in which I'm not kidding I was able to smell what I was reading. Phenomenal.

Reading The Exorcist. Again. smile

I'm reading Warm Bodies right now.  It's pretty much what I expected.  I much prefer the book "Breathers" which is kind of similar, but a little bit more quirky.

Winter Prey by John Sandford