Re: Found Footage Films

So I'm watching The Devil Inside as I write this.  I'm not sure I will even be able to make it through this one, but am trying.

Some thoughts about the Found Footage genre...

I think a main thing that sets apart the good from the bad is the acting.  Now, I realize this sounds obvious, but I think it is even more important with FF than other movies, because the whole premise is that it is supposed to be real.

I think one of the best examples is Blair Witch.  Not even necessarily the main characters, as the Town folk.  They were so believable I was convinced that they were real interviews with people that believed in the witch.  Those guys fishing...how do you get more real than that?

Zero Day - Probably the best acting I have ever seen.  Amazing.

Paranormal Activity had great acting (I know this is probably not a popular opinion) especially the paranormal guy that came to help them.  Cannibal Holocaust had great acting.  Last Exorcism was good, if not better than that.

There have been a handful of others too that had good or better acting.

Then there are the MANY that vary from ok to down right horrendous.  As I'm watching Devil Inside, its just following a predictable script with unbelievable characters.  Very blah...just cranking out another FF movie.  Very unimpressed right now.

There are some that I love and there are some I hate but,,,, I know this flick doesn't have any love here, but as if I care... Skew
it is bad but I like it. It is 100 times better than blair witch

It is just not known. I dont know why I like it I just do. The actors suck the story sucks but I like it...

I get a huge kick out of the FF subgenre, but so hit or miss, I keep trying though!

Cannibal Holocaust - one of my all time favorites, groundbreaking brilliance.

Blair Witch - really good, once I got past all the hype (hated that aspect)

Paranormal Activity - loved that one, super creepy, had me from the first bump!

V/H/S - just watched it a few nights ago, I thought it was pretty good, but I think I have to watch it a couple more times to form a solid opinion. 

Watched Apollo 18 last night - expected a bit more, but wasn't too disappointed - liked the overal foreboding vibe I got from it.

388 Arletta Avenue.  Nick Stahl is in this.  He's been in a lotta movies lately.  This one was kinda close to being good, but fell short for me.

For me Blair Witch and REC are the highwater marks for this category. (but let me also mention my own flick "Bounty" that you'll have to wait for a while to see--it's running on VOD right now and my reps are in talks for it to be on Netflix this year)

But if I were to sit down right now and watch 1 FF movie it would prolly be REC. (and REC2 is an excellent follow up. Haven't seen 3 yet)

I still need to check the REC series. I personally found the Fourth Kind to be a one of the more chilling found footage films. I also really like the Last Exorcism.

I have to debate The Fourth Kind. Opinions of the movie aside (I hated it), it's not a FF flick. Could have been a great one, considering the subject matter.

As for faves, I'd obviously put BWP at the top, since it is my fave flick period. [REC] a very close second.

I agree with Zed.  Even though it uses found footage, is more of a faux documentary.  The hypno session vids were freaky, but the overall story wasn't that great.

Yeah I agree, I just figured it at least somewhat fit the criteria (I.e having "found footage" as a major part of the flick). It has some mixed reactions, but honestly before I saw it I had no idea if it was a real doc. or faux. And until some very extreme scenes nearing the end, I really couldn't guess.

REC is good, and again debatable whether or not it is actually found footage but the August Underground trilogy smile

There's been lots of talk about Fred Vogel, I've been meaning to check his works out. Unfortunately they are not available on Amazon. Any ideas for distributors or is Ebay the way to go?

Cannibal Holocaust is generally agreed to be the first FF movie.  That had a lot of non found footage in it as well.  So if you don't consider The Fourth Kind to be FF...do you consider CH to be?  Not really trying to start a debate here, as AZ already has a good Thread with this topic (how much FF does a movie need to be considered FF).  I just think its worth mentioning given the relevance with some of the more recent posts.

Personally I could go either way on whether 4th was FF or not.  However, Theli, I'm with you on liking this movie.  It gets a lot of hate but I thought it was great, and really stayed with me.  Whether it was FF or not, it had some of the best FF type scenes in it ever.  Don't forget about the audio FF in it too...freaky!

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2013-02-10 13:07:48)

@Jess-
From what I remember, REC was all first person, so that would be FF.

@Thelli-
Don't know where you are since Amazon US has some of Vogel's stuff.  StageVu and YouTube don't seem to have any of his stuff.

@Ghosty-
Yep, one of those topics we keep debating.

Jessg95 wrote:

REC is good, and again debatable whether or not it is actually found footage but the August Underground trilogy smile

REC is most certainly a found footage flick, the whole story is told via footage captured by the news crew present and the helmet cams of the police.

I watched Hollow (2011) recently, and I have to say it was pretty much a let down.  It follows the standard formula, annoying characters and all of the action taking place off camera.  No scares or tension and really does nothing that hasn't been done a hundred times before.  Filmmakers need to be a little more creative and original in this sub genre nowadays.

@Azzie I was using Amazon.ca I'll have to check the american site, thanks.

I'm a HUGE fan of The Fourth Kind. Yes I loved the story, always loved Extra-Terrestrial related stuff and man, how could I not like it, it's miss Jovovich. Loved the creepiness of the hypno stuff but all the acting in the flick was pitch perfect. For me that is.
Maybe not an actual found footage one but pretty damn close if you ask me.

I personally don't consider Cannibal Holocaust a FF flick. I consider it a Faux-Doc. Similar style, different execution.

Just watched Grave Encounters 2. Take out the first 20min or so, and it wasn't that bad. They cheated a little near the end to get more "cinematic" with the FF style, but it was pretty good. The first 20min tho, was pretty pointless. All the party shit and the movie they were filming wasn't needed really. I wouldn't say drop everything and run to see it, but if you've the chance, check it out. If you liked the first, you should dig the second.

What exactly is the difference between a mockumentary and a found footage ? Fourth Kind is pretty much a mockumentary - a fake documentary that is dressed up like the real thing and presented as one with "real" footage.

They all are mockumentaries!!

I saw a few weeks a go a bad mockumentary about nasa... that was stupid imo and hey Cannibal Holocaust i guess would be a mocumentary too but a fuckin awesome one. probably the best of the mocks roll

fmvgamer wrote:

What exactly is the difference between a mockumentary and a found footage ? Fourth Kind is pretty much a mockumentary - a fake documentary that is dressed up like the real thing and presented as one with "real" footage.

Found footage film: a fictional film which is presented, beginning to end, to have been compiled from discovered, stolen or lost film footage.  Examples: The Blair Witch Project, Cloverfield, Diary of the Dead.

Mockumentary: a fictional film presented, beginning to end, to be a documentary.  Examples: A Mighty Wind, Best in Show, Spinal Tap.

The Fourth Kind would be a mockumentary.  Cannibal Apocalypse, which someone else brought up, is neither a mockumentary nor a found footage film.

I hate "a mighty wind" that movie makes me ill even the first few moments... its OFF

whatever I aint a profesional movicoligist...im a professional musicalicgist for the win

Cannibal Apocalypse ok I dont know but I love it, I actually love watching that sibce it is way better than alot of shit I watch

sorry if im wrong to you so kill me and put me in a meat grinder OR lkill me and let you gf have her way with me

Blair Witch project
Paranormal Activities
The Amityville Haunting

Provided you can take the shaky camera work, these are great smile

^^
Have you seen Grave Encounters?  Also a nice FF film, with some nice humor at the beginning if you've seen any of the "ghost hunting" TV shows (especially Ghost Adventures).

There is also an Introduce Yourself thread, where you can expound more if you'd like.

Last edited by azathoth (2013-02-12 20:10:32)

I just got REC 3 but havent seen it yet. I love the first 2 original Spanish flicks... fuck the remakes, what quarentine I shit on those ones but I love the originals so I' bet I will like 3