Re: Last horror movie you watched?

Recently watched the new psychological horror movie from Jennifer Lynch, Chained. It's a fantastic movie that will stay with you for ages after. All the performances are excellent too!

The basic premise of the movie tells of a boy who's mother is murdered in front of his eyes and then kidnapped by said murderer. He's then taken captive and over the years is forced to follow in the footsteps of his killer kidnapper.

Great stuff - highly recommended. 8/10

http://poggroup.com/pissedoffgeek/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/chained-dvd.jpg

The Brood (1979) - 8.5/10

So I read Wolfie's latest top 5 list (this one on Oliver Reed) and was reminded that I've never actually sat down and watched David Cronenberg's The Brood (shame, shame I know). So I found it on YouTube and checked it out. I think it's a great horror film! I can always tell when a horror movie is scary by judging from my own vocal reactions. If I'm watching a film and "Holy Fu*k!" comes out of my mouth, that's when you know I'm enjoying myself. And there were a few of those blurted out during The Brood, and so I'm confident in saying that it's a solid horror film.

Last edited by The Creature (2013-02-10 14:46:40)

azathoth wrote:
Underdog wrote:

Zombie Lake (1981):  The plot was superb: Nazi zombies coming back for the dead looking for revenge. Talk about cheesy effects. I loved it! Definitely not as good as Dead Snow, but worth a watch if you like lots of cheese, and chicks. 6.5/10

I never thought I would see this written about a Eurocine production that had to turn to Jean Rollins to direct because Jess Franco refused!

Sounds like Oasis of the Zombies, except that was directed by Franco. Some cool cinematography but overall a drawn out boring movie.

The Creature wrote:

So I read Wolfie's latest top 5 list (this one on Oliver Reed) and was reminded that I've never actually sat down and watched David Cronenberg's The Brood (shame, shame I know). So I found it on YouTube and checked it out. I think it's a great horror film! I can always tell when a horror movie is scary by judging from my own vocal reactions. If I'm watching a film and "Holy Fu*k!" comes out of my mouth, that's when you know I'm enjoying myself. And there were a few of those blurted out during The Brood, and so I'm confident in saying that it's a solid horror film.

Big fan of this flick.  Excellent example of the horror film as metaphor (victims of abuse going on to abuse their own loved ones, and in this case the trauma manifesting itself physically to punish the abusers).  This flick doesn't get near anough props.

The Haunting in Conneticut: Ghosts of Mars, er, I mean Georgia'

Horrible bloody film with an annoying mother, an annoying father, an annoying daughter and an annoying sister. It says a lot about a film when the only interesting character is a dead man called Mr. Gordy. I thought it was over once the hippy dippy sister got killed with wires in a caravan (or something like that) but then it kept going for about another half an hour until it ended with some laughable drivel transposing the actors with the real life liars who claimed this monumentally far-fetched shit actually happened to them in real life. I haven't wished for a film to end this much in a looooong time and the fucking title??? Fuck me, I can just imagine the board meeting now; it prolly went something like this:

Promoter - "Hey guys, thanks for meeting with me, we've just wrapped up a sequel to 'The Haunting in Conneticut and we'd love it if you could distibute it."

Studio executive - "I think we can help you out there, part 1 was a relative success so sure, do you have a title in mind?"

"Yeah, we're gonna call it The Haunting in Conneticut 2: Ghost's of Georgia. "

"Why?"

"Because it's set in Georgia and it's about ghosts."

"Er, why don't you just call it 'The Haunting in Georgia' then?"

"Because we want everyone to know that it's a sequel to The Haunting in Conneticut."

"Is it though"?

"Well, erm, no but we made The Haunting in Conneticut so we just want to make a sequel, even though it's an entirely different film that has nothing to do with the first."

"Well then why don't you simply call it 'The Haunting in Georgia' and then I'll make sure that the posters say 'From the Makers of The Haunting in Conneticut' on them?"

"Because people are stupid and our film is so shite that the only reason anyone would ever want to waste their time watching it is if they believe it's a direct sequel."

"Right, okay, The Haunting in Conneticut: Ghosts of Georgia it is then, we'll distribute it for you, now, I have many more appointments this morning so unless there's anything else my secretary will show you out and we'll be in touch."

"Thanks, we're also working on the third instalment, we're thinking of calling it The Haunting in Conneticut 3: Ghosts of the lower downtown Bronx shopping district, spookies of New York."

"Get the fuck out of my office."

I imagine that was close to how it played out.

LoudLon wrote:
The Creature wrote:

Big fan of this flick.  Excellent example of the horror film as metaphor (victims of abuse going on to abuse their own loved ones, and in this case the trauma manifesting itself physically to punish the abusers).  This flick doesn't get near anough props.

Yeah, Cronenberg picks some very interesting and real life-based topics/situations and uses them to his advantage in his work. In The Brood's case, we see metaphors of emotional trauma and some completely crazy psychosomatic responses to that trauma, in Videodrome there are themes dealing with the 'overstimulation' of violence in film and its possible societal implications, and The Fly remake, as you've mentioned in this thread a page or so back, deals with the horror of witnessing one's body changing due to some disease or ravaging illness. I haven't seen all of Cronenberg's works, but all of his horror films seem to have some kind of fascinating social/political commentary attached to them.

Last edited by The Creature (2013-02-10 16:28:19)

Hammer's Plague of The Zombies (1966). 8/10.

The Possesion - A lot better than I expected it to be. Good story, great cast and some nice camera work. 8/10

The Last Exorcism

Day of the Dead (1985) 8.5/10

^
My favorite zombie movie of all time...

MESSENGER 1 Rewatch
Man Always loved this film. Not only because it's Kristen Stewart which I love but also the freaking Pang brothers directing. Their cinematography is madly nice. That house looks creepy as H3LL, I want one exactly like that, too nice. And Man the ghosts are definitely awesome!!!
666/10

MESSENGER 2 Rewatch
I love how they made a prequel with that so it gives us more insight about why things like this happen in the first. I liked the crazy neighbour too. And man, that blonde washing herself bare naked in the field was oh soooo damn HOT, what a perfect pair of boobs she has.
Didn't enjoy it as much as the first but still enjoy it very much.
10/10

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-02-10 20:14:14)

Theli wrote:
azathoth wrote:
Underdog wrote:

Zombie Lake (1981):  The plot was superb: Nazi zombies coming back for the dead looking for revenge. Talk about cheesy effects. I loved it! Definitely not as good as Dead Snow, but worth a watch if you like lots of cheese, and chicks. 6.5/10

I never thought I would see this written about a Eurocine production that had to turn to Jean Rollins to direct because Jess Franco refused!

Sounds like Oasis of the Zombies, except that was directed by Franco. Some cool cinematography but overall a drawn out boring movie.

There's a fine line between a stupid cheesy movie, and a fun cheesy movie. I found this one fun to watch. And with all the hot, naked women in it. Bonus!

ChainSaW80 wrote:

^
My favorite zombie movie of all time...

Ditto!

Howling V: Turned it off about half way through. 3/10

The Awakening (2012) - Finally got around to watching this one. A very solid haunting film, great performances. I liked how they kinda leave the end open to your own interpretation.

8/10

Mama
6/10

Last edited by MoonRaven (2013-02-11 00:30:22)

I was supposed to work tonight but then was told they over staffed.  Oops.  So I'm having a Nightmare on Elm St. marathon.  Currently on #4.

So much Freddy!

MAN the CGI in Nightmare on Elm St. 4 is seriously horrible hahahahaha. I'm laughing so hard.  What's with this cyborg hand coming out of the desk? ahahaha oh man.  I forgot how awesome this one is.

Prom Night (original)

Phantom of the Mall: Eric's Revenge (1989) - 2.5/5.

The Boogeyman (1980) - 2/5.

The Raid: Redemption (2011) - 3.5/5.

Would You Rather (2012) - 2.5/5.

The Nest (1988) - A biological experiment goes haywire when mutant flesh eating cockroaches attack a small New England fishing village.  Not as campy as Humanoids from the Deep (1980), but it is funny, there were two scenes which I can swear were taken right out of that movie.  Good mindless fun.  2.5/5.

^ I wanna see that!

Ghosts of Mars (2001)

It's been ages since I've seen this one, and I really, really wanted to like it but it fell a little short for me. For one, it didn't have enough... style to it, I just didn't see Carpenter's flair, or any impact. The casting was too hit or miss for me. It is a b-movie though, and I appreciated that. But still, a lot of things feel off.

Fun concept with the possession by Martian ghosts, still, I wanted a little more.

5/10 - would have liked to give it higher, but eh, on a good day it might even be a 6.

I liked JC's Vampires more.

Paranormal Activity 4....not full of as many scares as the other three, but still a solid entry, IMO.  I dug it and my wife got freaked out by a few parts.

I just watched Two Evil Eyes. It's two hour long segments back to back based on stories be E.A. Poe. The first half is the story of The Facts in the Case of Mr. Valdemar, directed by George Romero. Ultimately it suits his style and preferred themes well. There's even a tribute to Night of the Living Dead. The second half is based on the Black Cat and it's directed by Dario Argento. This segment also fits Argento perfectly. It features all the signature argento too, good music, bold colours, lots of blood, and long panning shots. It's cool to see the segments back to back to see the massive difference in style and execution despite coming from the same source for subject matter and being filmed at the same time. Overall great movie, sure looked like they pissed off that cat though.

Last edited by Theli (2013-02-13 06:07:30)

Pin (1988)

Very strange. I had no idea what it was about, but to summarise: a guy becomes obsessed with a medical dummy (named "Pin") from his father's office, believing he's real.

I thought it was gonna take a different turn, but I liked it.

7/10