Re: DirtyGirl's Horror Movie A Day Challenge

Feb 8 - Phantom of the Mall: Eric's Revenge (1989) - 2.5/5.  First watch.

Feb 8 - The Boogeyman (1980) - 2/5.  First watch.

Feb 9 - The Raid: Redemption (2011) - 3.5/5.  First watch.

Feb 10 - Would You Rather (2012) - 2.5/5.  First watch.

Are you still doing this DG?  If so, that's dedication and I look forward to reading the highlights.

Feb 11 - The Nest (1988) - A biological experiment goes haywire when mutant flesh eating cockroaches attack a small New England fishing village.  Not as campy as Humanoids from the Deep (1980), but it is funny, there were two scenes which I can swear were taken right out of that movie.  Good mindless fun.  2.5/5.  First watch.

Watched American Mary yesterday and I am still thinking about it today.  I love it when movies get to me!  The movie itself wasn't so out there, but the thought that there are real people out there into extreme body modification is kinda frightening.  And no I am NOT going to google it, because we all know real life is stranger than fiction!

Today I watched The Hole-  Pretty good story.  It kinda reminds me of The Gate.

^That is for sure DG.  Scary what some are willing to do to make themselves stand out.

Feb 12 - Antiviral (2012) - In the future, the cult of celebrity runs rampant, as obsessed fans feel the need to share a deeper connection (biological communion) with their favorite celebrities.  Enter the Lucas Clinic, who for a price can infect fans with the ailments of their favorite celebrities.  Syd March, a technician at Lucas, is burning the candle at both ends, being a loyal employee while on the job, while also infecting himself with the viruses to smuggle them out of the facility and sell on the black market.  But when he infects himself with the virus that kills Hannah Geist, the poster girl for the Lucas Clinic, Syd finds that he has become a pawn in a far more sinister plot.  The first full length feature by Brandon Cronenberg, son of David Cronenberg, it definitely has the look and feel of one of his father's movies, though not quite as disturbing.  Still, it is really well done, with my only real complaint being that I cannot understand how anyone would intentionally infect themselves with a virus to feel some kind of connection to their favorite clelebrity.  3.5/5.  First watch.

Feb 13 - Mimesis (2011) - An interesting play on Night Of The Living Dead, but that was about it.  Really didn't do much for me.  2.5/5.  First watch.

Feb 14 - Girls Against Boys (2012) - After a series of bad experiences with men, Shae teams up with her co-worker, Lu, who has a simple, deadly way of dealing with the opposite sex. I really didn't have much interest in seeing this, and initially, the film plays out as I expected it would.  Fortunately, the tone changes in the latter acts and it ended up being a pretty decent flick.  Judging from some of the reviews in IMDB, it has definitely polarized some viewers.  And I just realized that I watched this on Valentines Day, not exactly a romance inspiring flick.  3/5.  First watch.

Feb 15 - Event Horizon (1997) It has been awhile since I last watched it, still a great flick.  Rewatch.

Feb 15 - Stitches (2012) - A clown returns from the dead to seek revenge on the children responsible for his death at a birthday party.  It is campy but it doesn't take itself too seriously, so it ends up being a really fun movie.  3.5/5.  First watch.

Feb 16 - Bad Meat (2011) - As if being stuck at a boot camp run by mean spirited couselors wasn't bad enough, a group of juvenile delinquints find themsleves battling for their lives when bad meat in the stew turns the couselors into flesh eating zombies.  This one unfortunately took itself too seriousl.  There is some nice grue, but the ending makes no sense and one of the young ladies just vanishes with no explanation.  2/5.  First watch.

Feb 17 - Sweet Movie (1974) - Not really a horror movie, but damn if it wasn't one of the strangest movies I have ever seen!  A golden shower from a gold penis, lots of nudity, defacation, urine and vomit games, just bizarre.  2.5/5.  First watch.

Feb 18 - The Naked Prey (1966) - Not really a horror movie, but the idea of being hunted by a pissed off African tribe does not sound like alot of fun.  3/5.  First watch.

Feb 20 - The Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia (2013) - Actually, much better than I was expecting.  It starts off kind of weak and I almost switched it off, but glad that I stuck with it.  3/5.   First watch.

Feb 22 - Demons 2 (1986) - I was pretty much bored by this one.  The one highlight was the soundtrack which had some great 80's tunes.  2.5/5.  First watch.

Feb 22 - Eyes of Crystal (2004) - A nice little lesser known Italian thriller.  3.5/5.  First watch.

Feb 23 - Qing Yan aka Nightmare (2012) - Very light on the horror aspect with a really slow build up, but this Chinese film does feature a good story.  2.5/5.  First watch.

tonight is the last of my spaghetti western dvd box set so from tomorrow i'm back on the horror trail!

Alien, I've been meaning to ask, how many movies do you watch a day?

HorrorQueen17 wrote:

Alien, I've been meaning to ask, how many movies do you watch a day?

I try to watch one a day, but depending on what is going on I don't always have time, so on weekends I try to make up for it and watch a couple a day.

Feb 25 - Someone's Knocking At The Door (2009) - A strange film to be sure, but for a low budget indie, it is pretty well done, apart from some of the poor acting.  2.5/5.  First watch.

Feb 26 - Freddy Vs Jason (2003) - Actually liked it a little better on the second viewing.  Still a 2.5/5.  Rewatch.

Feb 26 - Village Of The Damned (1995) - Pretty tame by today's standards with all of the action happening off camera, still creepy though with those damn kids.  3/5.  First watch.

Feb 28 - Henge (2011) - A bit of a let down, been wanting to check this one out for a while.  Starts off good and maintains that for the most part, but the ending is just too far out there.  2.5/5.  First watch.

Mar 1 - Mimic (1997) - Still a great flick.  4/5.  Rewatch.

Mar 1 - Exorcismus aka The Possession of Emma Evans (2010) - I actually liked it much better on the second viewing.  Wonder what I missed the first time around?  3.5/5.   Rewatch.

Mar 1 0 Thale (2012) - Again, a bit of a let down.  I have been wanting to see this one for awhile and it didn't live up to my expectations.  Still it is something a little different.  3/5.  First watch.

Mar 1 - Phantom of Death (1988) - A decent little Italian thriller from Ruggero Deodato.  A couple of nice looking ladies and an interesting little twist, but overall kind of boring.  2.5/5.  First watch.

Mar 1 - Cradle of Fear (2000) - Started to watch it but it was so badly done, looked like a poorly done shot on VHS softocore video, that I had to switch it off.  0/5.  First and last watch for sure.

Mar 2 - Maniac (1980) - 3/5.  Rewatch.

Mar 3 - Gut (2012) - I'm not quite sure what to make of this one.  It was different from what I was expecting going in, but for the most part it is an effective little indie.  It is slow paced with little action and amateurish acting at times, but at the same time it has a creepy Videodrome vibe to it.  But here there is a sense of realism to it all.  Might warrant a second watch to solidify my thoughts.  3/5.  First watch.

Mar 4 - Panic Beats (1983) - A decent Spanish flick with a bit of nice grue and some lovely ladies in various states of undress, but nothing to write home about.  2.5/5.  First watch.

Mar 5 - Crawl (2011) - A really well done Australian thriller, very reminiscent of the Cohen brother's Blood Simple.  A bit of a slow burn and not quite as darkly humorous, but in many ways I found myself liking it better than Blood Simple.  4/5.  First watch.

Last edited by alien25 (2013-03-06 16:46:03)

Mar 6 - The Piano Teacher (2001) - A talented and self assured student romantically pursues his masochistic piano teacher who has her own repressed fantasies of love and relationships.  Appalling, compelling, humorous at times, but ultimately, it is a deeply despairing look at how people damage each other.  Not really a horror movie per se, but I have seen it mentioned on some people's lists of most disturbing movies, and after watching it, I'd have to say that it definitely belongs there.  Of the Michael Hanke movies I have watched thus far, Cache, Benny's Video and The Seventh Continent, I found The Piano Teacher to probably be the most unsettling.  3.5/5.   First watch.

Mar 8 - Tower Block (2012) - The last remaining residents of the soon to be demolished Tower Block 31 find themselves at the mercy of a sniper intent on taking them all out.  Kind of silly and nonsensical, but it does have some good tense moments and is overall entertaining.  3/5.  First watch.

Mar 9 - Another Kind (2011) - Four friends set out on snowshoes to winter camp in the Catskill mountains.  But after encountering strange lights is the night sky, they begin to believe that someone or something is following them.  A decent little low budget indie.  Nothing overly special, but I thought it was creative, original and pretty well done.  3/5.  First watch.

Mar 10 - The Walking Dead - first half of season one followed by last night's episode of season three.  Rewatch and first watch.

Mar 11 - Shadow People aka The Door (2012) - Inspired by a mysterious caller on his late night radio show, talk show host Charlie Crowe tries to unravel the conspiracy behind the mysterious beings know as Shadow People.  Not too shaby for a PG-13 horror flick, some nice creepy moments.  3.5/5.  First watch.

Mar 12 - House Of The Long Shadows (1983) - On a bet that he can write a novel like Wuthering Heights in 24 hours, an American writer goes to a remote Welsh mannor.  But when he arrives, thinking that manor is empty, he instead discovers that it actually has several odd inhabitants.  Great cast with Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing and Ricard Todd.  Desi Arnaz Jr is not much of an actor, but it was a fun movie.  3/5.  Firs watch.

BAM!
150 TTs to Alien because he watches cool movies and let's us know about them!

^Hey thanks Az! big_smile
This one wasn't quite as cool

Mar 13 - Silent Hill: Revelation (2012) - I just couldn't get into this one, and quite frankly, found it to be boring.  It had some nice imagery and I liked the mannequin spider thing, but I didn't care for any of the characters (I like Sean Bean, but his role is pretty small) nor did I find it creepy or suspenseful in the least.  2/5.  First watch.

Mar 14 - Subconscious - Director's Cut (2010) - Since losing his family in a car accident Fanis is tormented by recurring nightmares in which he comes across a religious shrine deep in the woods.  When he meets Girl 7 on the internet, he hopes that she will be able to help him unravel the meaning behind the nightmares and put an end to them once and for all.  Yet another found footage entry, this one hailing from Greece.  An interesting film that doesn't follow the typical FF storylines, but unfortunately, I didn't find it to be particularly creepy or scary.  I have to give cedit to the film maker however for at least trying to do something creative and original in the FF subgenre instead of following the standard formula like so many others have tried to do.  Apparently, the writer/director has had difficulty getting the film released, so he posted his director's cut to Vimeo.  So if anyone is interested in checking it out I will put the link below.  3/5.  First watch.

http://vimeo.com/59005722

Mar 15 - The Slender Man (2013) - I can't even find an IMDB page for this one.  Entertaining, but definitely could have been done better.  2.5/5.  First watch.

Mar 15 - The Bunker (2001) - Still a good watch on the second viewing.  3.5/5.  Rewatch.

Mar 16 - Night School (1981) - A decent 80's slasher with the yummy Rachel Ward.  3/5.  First watch.

Mar 16 - Come Out And Play (2012) - A surprisingly good remake of Who Can Kill A Child, but I still prefer the original.  3.5/5.  First watch.

Mar 17 - Nobody Gets Out Alive aka Down The Road (2013) - I'd forgotten that I had already watched this, still not any better on the second viewing.  2.5/5.  Rewatch.

Mar 18 - Comedown (2013) - A decent little slasher from the UK.  3/5.  First watch.

Mar 19 - Eyes of a Stranger (1981) - A news anchor begins to suspect that her creepy neighbor, living in the building across from her, is a serial rapist/killer terrorizing the Miami area.  Nothing to write home about, probably the best thing about it is that Jennifer Jason Leigh, in her first major film roll, flashes some boob.  2.5/5.  First watch.