Re: American Mary (2012) (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS)

The copy I got showed the surgery? Just not the aftermath.

Scav, I like Ti West. Loved House of the Devil. But M for miscarriage for me was shocking. Lazy film making when I've seen what he can do. I'm still wondering where 5K went? I went into the movie only knowing a little about who was directing the segments but not what each was about. Part of the fun was watching the short and trying to figure out what the word would be.

Fulcento wrote:

I found it to be a rather crappy, emo-centric hipster piece that never quite knew what direction to take.

That should of been the quote on the DVD/Blu-Ray box lol

^
Really? Your version showed the surgery of the twins becoming fused? All I got was a couple of scenes of them lying in adjoining beds.

Yep of all the implants going in beneath their eyebrows (I remember that part most because I was fascinated with how identical even their eyebrow pencil was). I got the full shebang.

^
I thought my version must have been abridged UV.
Did you DL, watch at cinema or buy the official dvd???
Or are you just winding me up?

I really didn't care much for ABC's of death at all.  The best ones were X and A.  That's about all I remember.  Pretty much of a letdown really.  If you want to read the review I wrote...
http://www.horror-movies.ca/abcs-death-movie-review/

In your review DG, I noticed the way that you said there was no underlying story to attach each of the different segments, or just have some reason to why we are going through the alphabet. And I can see that from two ways, one which is have none and you get what is on the tin which is 26 short different stories. I agree there could of been some underlying story but I honestly feel like that wouldn't really do much, and think it being left out is nothing big.

And about the point of there being too many different styles in the movie, I honestly thought that was something good. If I am watching a pretty long movie of just short stories I definitely do not want to watch the same style throughout. I thought for example letter T was great, claymation was a great break from the normal way of shooting. Then the 'found footage' style used in G, that was a good quick break too. But as it always does, it's just subjective. smile

But for sure there was crappy segments in there, but I think the good outweigh the bad significantly. W and F were the worst segments for me personally. But I think there is a lot of good ones like M, X, Q, N and G.

Just putting my view out here considering it seems more people are disappointed with it than pleased, but I was very pleased with it actually. smile

On another forum I'm on, the over all consensus is YES YES YES for ABC's. D and X being most popular. I hated F, M and Z.

Damn, I really wanna see American Mary. Can't wait till it's possible for me in my Quebec to buy it.

As for ABCs Of Death, been waiting for it as much as I am for American Mary and what I can only say is definitely OH WOOOW!!!
Absolutely loved totally everything. I don't even need to identify the letter from the one I liked. Looooooved them all from A to Z.

I like weird stuff and this on was exactly that. Just plain weird. Wooojooo. Best I've seen this year.

Now bring me American Mary and Evil Dead, I'm ready. lol

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

In your review DG, I noticed the way that you said there was no underlying story to attach each of the different segments, or just have some reason to why we are going through the alphabet. And I can see that from two ways, one which is have none and you get what is on the tin which is 26 short different stories. I agree there could of been some underlying story but I honestly feel like that wouldn't really do much, and think it being left out is nothing big.

And about the point of there being too many different styles in the movie, I honestly thought that was something good. If I am watching a pretty long movie of just short stories I definitely do not want to watch the same style throughout. I thought for example letter T was great, claymation was a great break from the normal way of shooting. Then the 'found footage' style used in G, that was a good quick break too. But as it always does, it's just subjective. smile

But for sure there was crappy segments in there, but I think the good outweigh the bad significantly. W and F were the worst segments for me personally. But I think there is a lot of good ones like M, X, Q, N and G.

Just putting my view out here considering it seems more people are disappointed with it than pleased, but I was very pleased with it actually. smile

Hey to each their own Scav.  I just didn't care for it much.  way too much going on.  I prefer a traditional style of anthology instead.  I think it was pretty weird most of the time which turned me off.  there were a few segments I liked but they were few and far between.  I didn't think it was shocking, gory, or even that thought provoking (except maybe X)   Basically I thought the whole movie was just meh...  not particularly bad but nothing special either.

^ You're more into Trick r' Treat style of anthologies I am guessing? tongue

I love them types too, but like you stated 'each to their own'. smile

Yep, that's exactly the style I like.  Have you seen any of the Amicus anthologies?  They are fantastic!   Tales from the crypt, vault of horror, from beyond the grave, dr terrors house of horrors?

Well the anthologies that I have in my DVD collection would be Trick r' Treat, Tales from the Crypt (movie), Dr. Terrors House of Horrors, Creepshow (& Creepshow 2), Asylum and Tales From the Darkside series 1 and 2. And I love all those. smile I still have yet to see Black Sabbath and From Beyond the Grave though.

Nice!  You will love Black Sabbath!  One of the best  smile

Yeah, I am waiting Arrow Video here in Europe to re-release it on Blu-ray so I can pick it up! smile

Black Sabbath OWNZ!!!
Even more than the band so imagine. lol

kXnPunk wrote:

Damn, I really wanna see American Mary. Can't wait till it's possible for me in my Quebec to buy it.

I havent seent it either Yet but Im gonna download, I'm really getting fed up with buying movies. Downloading is the answer for the 2000's

Every movie I download, I get the DVD afterwards. I like encouraging the creators and the only way to do so is buying.
Although if I didn't like the one I downloaded, I don't get the DVD of course.

But sometimes with all the problems I have to get films in here, that's the only way I can see one to download it. I hate the crappy versions though most of them suck. Very few are good quality.

I have bought so many flicks I probably wont ever see agis unless someones here dying to see it... so to me downloading horror movies is all that. I'm not pushing the download thinginy that just happens to be right in front of you, I'm just sayin fuck it... Like I just said in another thread I'm gonna buy The Walking Dead series, and that was one I use to burn to dvd from amc but this is an exception...

im tired of giving my money to someone (or a store) who bought 2729 dvds
fuck it the studio already got their money from them so why pay the reseller its already bought! So my downloading has a more meaning to it...

Yeah I get ya. At least you bought a bunch. NOT like these idiots that just download and never buy.

yea the more I think about it the better downloading becomes... you dont give your money to studios..... you give it to some wanker who already bought from the studio... so fuck the wanker.... DOWNLOAD cool

Fulcento wrote:

Yeah, I have many of the same quibbles (YAY, I used the word 'quibbles'!) that you lot have already mentioned. The biggest one being why didn't we get to see those two weird German girls become surgcally conjoined? With such a lengthy consultation it seemed anticlimactic to not show the procedure. Also, another bugbear (which has already been nitpicked) was the anomalous scene wherein the club owner asked Mary out, only to be spurned and her apparent jealousy as she watched him get it on with the club tarts. It was as if they totally messed up the editing and continuity.

It raised many more questions than it answered and, sorry to go against the grain here, I found it to be a rather crappy, emo-centric hipster piece that never quite knew what direction to take.

5/10

Conjoined? Hell, I thought tbey just wanted to have their left arms removed and and switched with each other or something...hell...ima have to watch it again now.

is american mary a woman you would want to fall in love with?

Haven't seen American Mary yet but I can definitely tell you I am already in love with Katharine Isabelle which plays her. Damn this girl is a total hottie. smile

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GGPx0nVZC38/UIwJIT_-wuI/AAAAAAAAA6s/LRfOakQlO0s/s1600/katharine+isabelle+in+american+mary.jpg

she looks like Katharine Isabelle