Re: The HM Musicians' Thread

So I was Jamming on Saturday and we tried moving the mics and vocal monitors around to avoid feedback.  In our Old Jam Space, we had Our Drummer about 15 feet away from us and me and Bass had about 8 feet between us with each a Mic.  Now, our space is about half the size.  Drummer is about 10 feet from me, and closer to the bass and there's still about 6 feet between me and the bass..and the Mics have to be so loud to beat the drummer that they were hissing all the time.  Well...we were able to set them up enough that we could get them to play at levels, but my mic started feeding off my guitar cabinet and I almost blew my eardrum.

This was Saturday and now, it's not so bad, but after we finished jamming, I could barely hear out of it...last time without plugs in that space..plus we still have to find a set up that works.

Any tips?

For Nirvana's Unplugged in New York show, David Grohl, who was a beast of a drummer who put a lot of force into his hits, made himself use drum sticks made of much lighter wood that would snap if he hit too hard in order to keep his drums from overpowering the guitars on-set.  Another trick is to stuff pillows into the drums to dull them down a bit.  Yet anothet trick is to build a wall of foam around the drum set; mattresses would also work.

Short of that, your best bet is to just not forget the earplugs next time. lol

Yeah good tip LoudLon, we used the pillow one and was good enough that we kept doing that all the time.

Cool, just found this thread! I've been playing guitar for a loooong time. It's one of my favorite things to do. Started as a rocker but never was very good at that style. I played R&B for a long time, a blues band and a funk band for about 20 years. But my true love was always jazz. I've been playing in a jazz trio every Sunday for the last couple years at an Italian restaurant for jazz brunch... 2 guitars and upright bass. Just about to head off there now. Any other jazz fans? I have way too many guitars, but the one I gig with mostly is a 1957 Gibson ES125 with a single P90 pick up. No cutaway. Sunburst. Pretty beat up but sounds and plays real sweet!

^^^
OH DAMN YESSS!!! '57 Gibson with a P90. Woah, that thing must sound like H3LL [which is good].
I'm a big fan of Gibson guitars. Every band I played in, my guitarists had that plugged to a Marshall. Les Paul though.

And yeah I like old jazz, not too much a fan of the new stuff but Ellington, Fitzgeraald, Armstrong and that era, yeah, big fan. I love Cabaret music.

I play bass and lemme tell you it's very hard to play, they have insane bass tracks in old jazz.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-01-27 17:12:53)

^^^
If I could figure out how to post a picture I'd show it to you, but I'm not great with computers : )
But I can link you to a track from a couple weeks ago playing at the jazz brunch using the Gibson. The other guitar player is also using a Gibson (new L4). This is an old tune called Exactly Like You. Old swing music... not everyones cup of tea.
http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=187979
I play the head and the first solo. The amp I use is an Evans Hybrid. It's 200W SS with a tube preamp. Small but powerful, and very clean. A lot of pedal steel players use Evans.

^^^
Woah, that song is delightful. Very nice. I'm enjoying it, playing right when I'm writing this. I love this kinda jazz a lot.

As for posting images, it's [•img•]link to your image here[•/img•] without the bullets of course.

You sound really good,
Man, you've got a damn lot of talents, film making, music, woah, keep it all up!!! smile

Posting pictures:

Open a photbucket account (or your choice of image-hosting sites).

Upload a pic to your account; the pic will be assigned a link.

Post the link to the image here using the image tag  --    img (in brackets) at the front of the link, /img in brackets at the end of the link.

Voila.  Picture posted. smile

^^^
Still having difficulty. I can't seem to find the "image tag". And I tried adding the img in brackets on both ends of the link and just got an error message when going into preview. Above the box that I'm typing in there are three links that state I can use: BBCode Images Smiles. When I click on any of them it takes me to a page of instruction. Tips?

Each link has to have its own image tag; putting three links in between one img and /img won't work.  The cool thing about photobucket, though, is that after you've uploaded an image it provides you with a variety of links for that image, one of them already having the image tag in brackets around it.

Image link without an image tag:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/l … pdance.gif

That same image with and image tag:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/loudlon/Animated/tinahipdance.gif

Far out... it works! Thanks for the tip! And here's the Gibson ES 125!
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a490/Ken_Willinger/IMG_1741_zps0fd2e7c1.jpg
BTW, really like Tina Fey!!!

Last edited by getken (2013-01-28 16:34:08)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J8Pdp6G … age#t=175s

If anyone has any idea how to play this section on guitar, let me know - listen to how insane and beautiful it sounds all at once.

getken wrote:

Far out... it works! Thanks for the tip! And here's the Gibson ES 125

Far out indeed. Beautiful guitar.

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

If anyone has any idea how to play this section on guitar, let me know - listen to how insane and beautiful it sounds all at once.

That's some cool stuff. Reminds me of Tribal Tech... check out Scott Henderson's guitar solo. Sheesh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAq4qq5gE6E

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

http://www.guitartabcreator.com/frmnwr/ … m-endeavor

^ Thank you! smile

I couldn't find it myself. lol

^^Sounds like sweep arpegios with a bit of two hand tapping for the grace notes.  You'd have to practice both of those techniques before you can really play that cleanly.  I like prog but I tend to stay away from two-hand tapping because it just seems like you tend to view the guitar as a completely different instrument once you cross over to that.  I try to limit my tapping to sloppy Van Halen riffs.  That's just me though.

Ok, so...I bought a guitar on Saturday.  Simply because it was selling for dirt cheap.  I took a chance on it.  It's a japanese export with a Brand name of Onyx on it.  From 1980.  String through body and neckthrough.  It's a double cutaway and it looks almost identical in body shape to my Lado Standard.  So, these have both been dubbed the Assfuck Twins. The Humbuckers are really are high trebble and I'm still on the fence about them.  But I paid $120 for the guitar, so I can afford to swap out the electronics later on.  Gibson what?

^^^
Oh yeah, very cool man. Asians make stuff that sound great, best example is the bass I have, chinese one and sounds better than my friend's ESP. lol

And Gibson what??? Well Gibson rules. big_smile

Gibsons are Cool...I have an SG but I didn't pay gibson price.  A guy had it laying under his stairs for 17 years wrapped in a blanket.  He knew I played and brought it to me.  I told him it needed 100$ tune up and a hell of a cleaning job...I did all that and he said he'd sell it to me for 400$ because he knew it was going to a good home.  But I wouldn't have paid him the 2000$ it's worth. not for what I use it for. 
I love taking a guitar that is well built but unknown and moding it up to become a great, inspiring axe.  for the Price of a Les Paul, I have 5 guitars...and I haven't played a Gibson yet that would make me give up all my other guitars.  They Rock, no doubt...but they're just a guitar.

I spent a couple hours earlier today jamming to random songs in my music folder.  Did a count after: I played 54 songs all the way through, and six more I got a minute or two into and decided to play something else. 

Fifty four songs.  If I were playing a live gig, that would be a two and a half hour set at least.  And I do this 3-4 times a week, when I'm bored. lol

That's a marathon, Lon!  I've been getting some time in everynight too between putting my son to bed and the eveing ritual.  I play about 6-7 songs that I'm working on now and then 20-30 minutes of noodling/scale runs....still breaking in my new gear.  It's all I can get in at the moment but it's better than nothing

Yeah JackBurton, no need to pay too much to grab one you like. You only have to find THE ONE. big_smile

My cousin bought a Fender Stratocaster made in Mexico and they are far from the price of the US ones. Still got the sound though.

Damn LoudLon, that's a LOT. I don't play more than 6 or 8 a day.

And I never do these scales. Except a few pantatonics which I love.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-02-20 22:31:10)

lets jam.... my bass is right beside me... Mel is the dude who got me into it .... I know you all know who the fuck Mel is!

I play bass too. But hey, whatever, I'll plug the distortion to mine.

1-2-3-4 LET'S ROCK!!! big_smile

And I don't know who Mel is.