Topic: Horror Anthologies

What are some of your favourite horror anthology? I don't know anyone who doesn't like Creepshow, just the right amount of fun and terror. The horror anthology is almost as old as the horror movie itself, starting with Eerie Tales (which apparently doesn't have a DVD release though it can be found on Youtube.com), running through to Dead of Night from the 40's to the first iteration of Tales from the Crypt and Trilogy of Terror in the 70's, the aforementioned Creepshow and it's sequel from the 80's, upto more recently with Trick R' Treat (fantastic movie) and V/H/S.

Re: Horror Anthologies

I've been watching a lot of horror anthologies recently, Trilogy of Terror with Karen Black was very good, Body Bags was also decent and I love Creepshow. I watched VHS which I found disappointing and ABCs of Death which was really pretentious for the most part. So for me, older anthologies really win. I've got about 3 or 4 more on my watch list too

I haven't seen either VHS or ABCs, but I'll definitely check them out despite tepid reviews (I love anthologies). The 60's had some of the best too, Black Sabbath, Tales of Terror, Twice Told Tales. I still need to check out Body Bags.

I love anthologies for the most part, from Creepshow to V/H/S to The ABC's of Death. I've watched a ton (yet to watch Dead of Night and Black Sabbath, two I hear are fantastic) and some of them are great movies, including the most recent ones released that I named. I think it's quite tough to get the correct balance in an horror anthology movie, but if it's done it's a great movie.

Necronomicon (1994) is a decent, if not spectacular, anthology.  With Jeffrey Combs playing HP Lovecraft in the wrap-around bits.

Tales From the Hood is a surprisingly effective anthology.  With that title you'd expect a cheap, exploitative howler but it's actually quite socially conscious and at least two of the stories (the ones featuring Corbin Bernsen and David Alan Grier) are highly memorable.

Tales from the Crypt (1972) is a very good anthology.  My favorite story in this one is "Wish You Were Here," a modern play on the Tale of the Monkey's Paw.

From a Whisper to a Scream (aka The Offspring) has a couple good stories in it.  Especially the one starring Clu Gulager, almost unrecognizable behind coke-bottle glasses.

Tales from the Darkside: The Movie -- not great, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.  Especially the story featuring James Remar and Rae Dawn Chong.

Nightmares (1983) -- three solid stories, well told

Twilight Zone: The Movie -- infamous as the flick which killed Vic Morrow (and two Vietnamese youths, sadly) but the story featuring Morrow is actually quite good, as is the included revamp of Nightmare at 20,000 feet, with John Lithgow playing the role William Shatner made famous as the distraught airplane passenger who sees a gremlin on the side of the plane.  The other two stories are "enh," but these two (plus the entertaining twist in the wrap-around story) make it worth the watch.

Kwaidan (1964) four excellent stories, haunting and evocative, revolving around Japanese ghosts of legend.  If you watch only one anthology, make it this one.

Creepshow -- a classic, obviously.  Like Theli, I can't think of a single person who doesn't absolutely love at least one of the stories in this flick (my personal favorite is the one with the crate monster).

There are a few more I could name, but I don't think very highly of them...so I won't. big_smile

The Amicus anthologies are my favourite ones...  Dr. Terror's House of Horrors, Torture Garden, Tales From the Crypt, Asylum, Vault of Horror, From Beyond the Grave, and the House that Dripped Blood.  Monster Club was cheesy but still enjoyable. 

I also enjoyed Black Sabbath, Night Gallery, and Dead of Night too.  Karen Black was fantastic in Trilogy of Terror, but I like all her movies usually  smile

My next favourite ones would be the 80s/90s ones...  Creepshow, Tales From the Darkside, After Midnight, Cat's Eye, The Willies, Nightmares, Body Bags, Tales From the Hood, Waxwork, From a Whisper to a Scream, and Camp Fire Tales.

Loved Trick R Treat.  I hope they do another one soon.  VHS was also good. 

The ABC's of Death was pretty disappointing actually.  You would think with a title like that it would be over the top gore or disturbing shorts but most of them used comedy instead.  When you compare it to the other anthologies on this list,  it just doesn't hold up.  The idea was good in theory but the execution was lacking.

Forgot about Twilight Zone and Necronomicon!  Loved those too! 

Oh and Deadtime Stories.  Cheesy and gory!  Fun stuff  smile

I think V/H/S is 50/50, out of the five stories we got four were good (some great) but Tuesday the 17th and the underlying story Tape 56 sucked. Tuesday the 17th could of been just cut altogether and Tape 56 could of been done better and more interesting, or make us at least like the characters. So that's a mixed bag I would say.

I've got quite a few of those lined up to watch Lon, I've been watching a few lately, going to write a top 5 or 10 of anthologies afterwards.

Thanks for some more recs, definitely going to get a few of those to watch! Kwaidan looks particularly interesting

Black Sabbath is my favourite and in my Top 10 horror films of all time. For me V/H/S pales in comparison. The juvenile, prank elements of the wrap around story really put me off at the start.

Aside from Creepshow being my favorite, my personal second place for horror anthologies goes to Tales From The Crypt ('72). Others that I really dig - Black Sabbath, Twilight Zone: The Movie, Trick R' Treat, Creepshow 2...if I think of more, I'll come back and add them.

One of the best Anthologies, and one of my favorite movies ever, has yet to be mentioned...

Chillerama!  Awesome movie.

In addition to some of the great ones mentioned thus far, some more recent ones; Little Deaths, which I thought was really good, Theatre Bizarre which was pretty good, and  Devil's Carnival which I absolutely hated.

Creepshow
Black Sabbath
Trick R Treat
ABCs Of Death Yeah I dig it, kill me.
Twilight Zone
Devil's Carnival which I absolutely loved. lol

Good call on Kwaidan Lon, I love that movie but somehow it had slipped my mind. There`s a few here I`ll need to check out.

alien25 wrote:

In addition to some of the great ones mentioned thus far, some more recent ones; Little Deaths, which I thought was really good, Theatre Bizarre which was pretty good, and  Devil's Carnival which I absolutely hated.

Theatre Bizarre was great.  But hardly anyone talks about it.   Why does VHS get so much attention instead?  hmm....

Also Trapped Ashes wasn't too bad.  Not one of my favourites but it had some good actors in it.  Those breasts were pretty scary.

I really like me some anthologies, still a few I need to catch up on.

V/H/S has me divided. I was getting a good vibe from it, but one or two of the stories just blew it.

LoudLon wrote:

Nightmares (1983) -- three solid stories, well told
e two (plus the entertaining twist in the wrap-around story) make it worth the watch.

Creepshow -- a classic, obviously.  Like Theli, I can't think of a single person who doesn't absolutely love at least one of the stories in this flick (my personal favorite is the one with the crate monster).

Nightmares is actually pretty cool, and the mention of it has just reminded me that I haven't watched the final segment of it... now that's something to do.

The crate one in Creepshow is definitely my fav too. It's a great movie to show friends who aren't too used to horror, at least it was a success when we gave it a go.

Tales from The Crypt
Vault of Horror
Cutting Moments
Dead Of Night
Trilogy of Terror
Trilogy of Terror II - Dan Curtis even remade his story 'Bobby' from Dead Of Night
Black Sabbath
Creepshow

don't anybody look at previous forum posts anymore? i did an extensive post on Anthologies a while back. Sheesh! anyway my top 5 are

1. From Beyond The Grave

2. Black Sabbath

3. Tales From The Crypt

4.From  A Whisper To A Scream

5. The House That Dripped Blood

Great list Wolfie.  Love those movies. 

Demon- that segment in Dead of Night about Bobby was really creepy!

A very good and relatively unheard of one is 'After Midnight' - three short films with an excellent wraparound narrative.

wolfman1959 wrote:

don't anybody look at previous forum posts anymore? i did an extensive post on Anthologies a while back. Sheesh! anyway my top 5 are

1. From Beyond The Grave

2. Black Sabbath

3. Tales From The Crypt

I actually did remember an older thread, and even did ctrl+f, but I couldn`t find it. But it`s good to see new opinions too.

Little Deaths, effin weird for the most part but well made, low (and I mean LOW) budget and creepy.

3...Extremes. 3 excellent directors (Park Chan-wook, Takashi Miike, Fruit Chan). Each segment as disturbing as the next. Miike's took the prize for me here but all 3 were brilliant. I can't eat chinese steamed dumplings anymore!

ABC's. Yeah I loved it. It was a complete showcase of what is on offer in the indie world and it was a door opener for my other half who just didn't know there was so much on offer. HE picked an indie movie the next week on our movie night! (He's a mainstream kinda guy). Won't lie though, some really sucked balls. (West I am still looking at you!)

Tales from the Crypt. Do I need to justify my answer? I loved it but it's been a while! big_smile

VHS. I liked most segments and the wrap around.

There are a few I need to see on this list. Theater bizarre looks wild. When it comes to anthology I want to have variety, if it doesn't have a theme that's good with me. The profane exibit is due out in the not so distant future which I'm on 2 minds about (Boll and Deodato are connected so expect baby murder and canibalism, possibly at the same time).

wolfman1959 wrote:

1. From Beyond The Grave

2. Black Sabbath

3. Tales From The Crypt

I am a big one on that check out the forum for other same! but I just slid with it and waited till you told them buddy

DirtyGirl wrote:

I agree I think that version was way better than his remake.

DemonToSome wrote:
wolfman1959 wrote:

1. From Beyond The Grave

2. Black Sabbath

3. Tales From The Crypt

I am a big one on that check out the forum for other same! but I just slid with it and waited till you told them buddy

DirtyGirl wrote:

I agree I think that version was way better than his remake.

thanks Mary! and Demon  yeah it is a bit of a bugbear especially if you're the poster that spent time on the post but i suppose it can't be helped especiallywith a lot of newbies joining and its done innocently. Theli is a good man and appreciates the older horror as well as new as do people like punky, Hq ( who is not so new now smile ) . hell Theli is  A Mario Bava fan so that makes him a warrior in my book smile
this is still a great site with wonderful people.