Topic: h orror films of actors / actresses not usually known for horror. 3/10
hi again folks here is number three of the series and the first woman it's
3. Joan Crawford
star of films such as Mildred Pierce, Autumn Leaves, the women, harriet craig and many other soapy films and melodramas did dabble in the horror/ sci fic/ fantasy genre with very mixed results.
here we go in the usual chronological order
1. WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? ( 1962)
This is a doozy of a gothic macabre setpiece for two actresses who hated each other in real life, and a real tour de force for one actress which i will go into when i cover her ( i know it's given away who the other actress is and this film is going to be mentioned twice) Joan Crawford has the less flashy role of Blanche Hudson the crippled sister of baby Jane but joan is still effective and suffers a lot of torment. my favourite scene her face and scream of surprise when she sees what is served up for dinner for her.
2. STRAIT JACKET ( 1964) in this William Castle directed film Joan Crawford plays Lucy Harbin who has just been released from an asylum after 20 years for murdering her husband and his lover with an axe. she comes to stay with her daughter on a farm and the murders start again. not bad little thriller with some gory moments for it's time. joan does her usual wide eyed, giving it her all performance.
3. BERSERK (1967) as far as i can remember i've only seen this film once but i remember it being not bad and again rather gruesome for it's time.it's one of those circus set murder/ horror thrillers. Joan plays Monica Rivers the owner of a travelling circus where a series of gruesome murders/ accidents take place. who is responisble?
4. NIGHT GALLERY ( 1969) This was the t v movie pilot for the later t v series and this was directed by Stephen Spielberg. Joan appears in the second of a trio of stories called " Eyes" and she plays Miss Menlo a rich and heartless woman who is blind but blackmails a surgeon to carry out an eye transplant that goes beyond what she expects.
5. TROG ( 1970) Widely rumoured to be our very own Az's favourite film, this sees joan in her last feature film ( she died in 1977, and did appear in a couple of t v movies after Trog.) In truth this film is a real turkey with poor special effects and the trogolyte quite obviously a man in a hairy suit with a monkey like face.Joan Crawford plays a sympathetic anthropoligist called in when a strange trogolyte like creature is discovered in a cave. predictably the creature gets out and runs amok. pretty poor and unintentionally hilarious and not he best film for Joan to end her career but at least AZ enjoys it
There we go another five for you to check out if you wish or comment on the films if you have seen them. watch out for number 4 in the series coming soon!
Last edited by wolfman1959 (2013-02-14 16:44:10)