Topic: horror films of actors/ actresses not usually known for horror. 1/ 10

Hello Folks! it's your friendly Wolfie with the first of a new series of blogs. i have decided to run a series where i mention 5 horror films of actors/ actresses not usually known for the horror genre. this is  a series of 10 ( 8 actors, 2 actresses) and to qualify they have to have made at least 5 films in the horror/ sci fic genre.
the films are in chronological order rather than best order in my opinion.
i have chosen as my first subject

1. Michael Caine.
Distinquished English actor of Zulu, Get Carter, Alfie , The Ipcress file and many other films has dabbled a few times into the horror/ sci fiction / Fantasy genres with mixed results.

1. The Swarm.( 1978) one of producer Irwin Allen's big star studded disaster films, this one is considered something of a " Bad Film" amongst many people including Michael Caine himself.While not a " Classic" i don't think it's that bad and has some good and unintentionally funny scenes. Michael Caine plays Brad Crane an entermologist who is among a group of people battling to stop a swarm of killer bees from South Amercia attacking Amercian cities.
A star studded cast and an enjoyable film.

2.Dressed To Kill ( 1980) i am not a fan of this film and don't rate it as one of Brian De Palma's best although i know a lot of people rate it. perhap's DE palma's most obvious hitchcock tribute. it's also so so easy to guess who the killer is but i won't give it away here. Michael Caine plays  Dr Robert Elliott who when one of his patients is murdered by a tall blonde haired woman in sunglasses, another woman witnesses the killing and so the killer comes after her. some people think this a classic and it does have a couple of good scenes but only an average film in my rating.

3.The Hand ( 1981) this film was one of Oliver Stone's early efforts and Michael Caine stars as Jonathan Lansdale  a comic book artist who loses his right hand in a car accident . ( a pretty good scene) but the hand comes back in a life of it's own and starts killing people or does it? Michael Caine goes way over the top in this silly but entertaining and easily watchable psychological horror film.

4. Jack The Ripper ( 1988)  This is a t v movie that aired over here in the U K in two parts and reckoned it would reveal who the real Jack the ripper was. it is a good yarn and although this subject has been done on a number of occasions before and since it is one of the better interpretations. Michael Caine plays Chief inspector Abberline a real life figure who did head the police investigation at the time and was played later and more sleazily by Johnny Depp in " from Hell".

5.Jeckyll & Hyde (1990) another  t.v movie and from the same makers of " jack the Ripper" this time Michael Caine has a go at the dual role of Dr Henry Jeckyll and Edward Hyde and makes a good go of it. the make up for Hyde is certainly different from other versions and makes him appear as a bulbous headed like odd looking creature. i like this version of the old  chestnut and think it is among the better versions.

there we go with the first of my subjects. i hope these bring back memories of these films to you  guys and gals and if you haven't seen them, then i hope you can search them out and see them. be interested in your comments and other films i may have missed. keep a look out for the second entry in a couple of days time.

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2013-02-03 18:52:35)

Re: horror films of actors/ actresses not usually known for horror. 1/ 10

I loved him in Jack the Ripper.  It is by far one of my favourite movies about The Ripper, except maybe From Hell.  I haven't seen The Swarm or Jeckyl and Hyde yet so I should look them up!

Thanks for the excellent list Wolfie  smile

Jack the Ripper was a great TV flick.  I have it on my external drive -- both parts. big_smile

Nice list Wolfman, may I suggest you go for De Niro next?...

Haven't seen any of these...the Hand sounds cool though.

Interesting list, Wolfie. If I find any of these titles on YouTube (I've looked briefly but couldn't find anything) I'll definitely watch them.

I really enjoyed Dressed to Kill.  Has a special place for me cuz as a kid it was on broadcast tv one night when I was up alone.  That bathroom scene at the end freaked me out for quite a while.   Think its a great film.

Cool list Wolfie.

I came very close to DLing The Hand a few weeks back but skipped on it, primarily because it was one of Oliver Stone's first film and he's all but distanced himself from it.  Not sure if that's due to its quality, or due to him not wanting it on his resume since he's an "important" director now.

Fulcento wrote:

Nice list Wolfman, may I suggest you go for De Niro next?...

thanks Fulcento. i have my list already so i know who is going to be on it and Robert De Niro isn't on it. has he done five or more horror/ sci fiction genre films? trying to think. possibly! if this series is quite popular i might do a sequel and include him smile

De Niro is great in Hide & Seek with the then young and without boobs Dakota Fanning was about damn time she grew them. lol
I enjoyed this one. He was freaking creepy.

^
Yep, a couple of other notable ones are his roles in  Cape Fear, okay, sure, not nearly as incediary as Mitchum's performance in the original but watching Bobby drown in a river in a storm whilst speaking in tongues is fucking brilliant and also his turn in 'Angel Heart' where he basically steals the entire film away from Rourke in the last twenty minutes. I can think of at least a couple of others too.

Was just tossing his name forward Wolfie, you keep to your own script mate as your OP in this thread is excellent. Looking forward to see who you run with next.

Fulcento wrote:

^
Yep, a couple of other notable ones are his roles in  Cape Fear, okay, sure, not nearly as incediary as Mitchum's performance in the original but watching Bobby drown in a river in a storm whilst speaking in tongues is fucking brilliant and also his turn in 'Angel Heart' where he basically steals the entire film away from Rourke in the last twenty minutes. I can think of at least a couple of others too.

Was just tossing his name forward Wolfie, you keep to your own script mate as your OP in this thread is excellent. Looking forward to see who you run with next.

thanks Fulcento for your support! i love the music to Cape Fear and like both versions, the original is a little better than the remake mainly because of Mitchum. i didn't like " Hide and Seek" much but i must be one of the few that quite liked " the Godsend" at least until near the end. by the way i'll probably put the second entry on tomorrow so you won't have to wait long smile

I just watched The Hand again this week.  It came on a dvd 4 pack with  Deadly Friend, eyes of a stranger, and Someone's watching me.   They were all good movies. 

That final scene when everything is revealed is classic.  A good thriller  smile

DirtyGirl wrote:

I just watched The Hand again this week.  It came on a dvd 4 pack with  Deadly Friend, eyes of a stranger, and Someone's watching me.   They were all good movies. 

That final scene when everything is revealed is classic.  A good thriller  smile

i have recently bought that same 4 dvd pack, Mary and will be seeing them next week it's about 5 films down the pile. seen all four films before but none of them for ages and when i first saw them i know i liked "The Hand" and  " Deadly Friend" not so keen on " Someone Is Watching Me" or "Eyes Of A Stranger" but none of them are bad. we shall see smile