Topic: Horror Films of Actors/ Actresses Not Usually Known For Horror. 5/10

Hi again folks and here is entry number 5

5. Cameron Mitchell
Cameron Mitchell first appeared in films in the 1940's and built up a respectable career appearing in films such as "Death Of A Salesman"Garden OF Evil" " Monkey On My Back", " Love Me Or Leave Me", and many others also came to promience in the 1960's western t.v series " High Chapperal" playing Buck. i thought he came over best in the many Italian sword and sandal films he appeared in, in the 1960's and two of those were with Mario Bava. Career took a downslide and he appeared in many cheap and ludicruis Horror films but he appearecd in some good ones. here we go in chronological order.

1. BLOOD AND BLACK LACE (1964)Not director Mario Bava's best work but it was one of the earliest slasher films and laid the foundations for that genre.Cameron Mitchell plays Max Marian the owner of a boarding house and the lover of a countess. When a student is brutally murdered at the boarding house by a black clad and masked killer, more murders follow. who is the killer and why? some classic murder scenes, and easily watchable but to me not the masterpiece some say it is.

2. MANEATER OF HYDRA (1967)
in this pretty good killer plant movie Cameron Mitchell plays Baron Weser the owner of an island where six people come to his island mansion for a vacation and find that they are expected to take part in a "Scientific Experiment" which unknown to them involves them being prey for bloodsucking plant that the baron has carefully nutured. Nice fun movie with a good climax, directed by Mel Welles, no stranger to bloodthirsty plants as he appeared in Roger Corman's 1960 classic " Little Shoppe Of Horrors"

3. NIGHTMARE IN WAX (1969)
In This pretty average rehash of " Mystery Of the Wax Museum" and "House Of Wax", Cameron Mitchell Plays Vincent Renar the eye patch wearing owner of a wax museum who discovers the cheapest way to get new exhibits and retain old models is to murder and use the bodies.Film has an ending that will leave your jaw dropping and not in a good way, you'll be confused and it seems like the productio run out of money.

4. THE SILENT SCREAM (1979)
Cameron Mitchell has a change of role in this one and isn't the villain he plays  Lt Sandy Mcgiver, the investigating police officer in this not bad horror thriller. One Of three students goes missing and ends up murdered at a seaside mansion, and the other two find themselves in danger as they and the investigating police officer discover that the family that run the mansion have a dark and murderous secret. Barbara Steele has a very important role in the film.

5. FROM A WHISPER TO A SCREAM (1987)
This is a very good horror anthology film with lashings of gore and features four stories and a wrap around story featuring a historian played by Vincent Price telling four stories in the bloody, dark past of the town of Oldfield to a reporter who is trying to find out why so many killings have occurred there in the past.Cameron Mitchell appears in the last story set in the Civil War he plays Sgt Gallen, the leader of a bunch of murderous Confederate soldiers on the run who come across a small town which consists entirely of children who have no adults around and intend to punish adults for the suffering they have caused them.Cameron Mitchell gives a good performance in this quite well done little story.
There we go boys and girls, feel free to comment about these films or by all means seek them out if you haven't seen them. look out for episode 6.

Re: Horror Films of Actors/ Actresses Not Usually Known For Horror. 5/10

Just to let you know though i don't have much to say on this entry or the last, (I haven't seen any of the films mentioned) I do like these little articles. It's a great way to introduce older and perhaps overlooked horror films. I've been meaning to check out Blood and Black Lace, love Bava.

Another top notch list Wolfie!  let's see... I have seen Black Lace, Silent Scream, and From a Whisper to a Scream.  all great movies!  I will have to check out the other two soon.  Thanks  smile

I agree, #s 1,4 and 5 are all good flicks (haven't seen #s 2 or 3).  And I completely understand why you left The Toolbox Murders off this list; it may be one of Miitchell's more notorious genre efforts, but it's very far from his best.

I like these lists, Dave.  Keep 'em coming. smile

LoudLon wrote:

I agree, #s 1,4 and 5 are all good flicks (haven't seen #s 2 or 3).  And I completely understand why you left The Toolbox Murders off this list; it may be one of Miitchell's more notorious genre efforts, but it's very far from his best.

I like these lists, Dave.  Keep 'em coming. smile

thanks Lon, i was beginning to think nobody was interested smile  Cameron Mitchell made a lot of dross in the latter part of his career and in this series he was one that had a fair proportion of horror flicks on his CV . like most of the stuff  on films i write i try to go for the less obvious ( although with some of the people i'm including in this series it can't be avoided) i too think " The Toolbox Murders" is poor and the Tobe Hooper redo ( i refuse to call it a remake because it's completely different) is better but not by much. of the five to go to complete the series i think the next one ( which will appear in the next few days) may get a few " Huh" 's but i have two or three interesting ones to come smile

Theli wrote:

Just to let you know though i don't have much to say on this entry or the last, (I haven't seen any of the films mentioned) I do like these little articles. It's a great way to introduce older and perhaps overlooked horror films. I've been meaning to check out Blood and Black Lace, love Bava.

that's exactly why i'm doing it Theli, to try to get some of the younger members to look at some of the older films in the horror  genre because i find it a little perplexing  that some won't watch black & white film or not watch anything before  1990  hmm

i am well aware that there is a lot of crap out there from the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's but  that applies to all decades and the 2000's have more than it's fair share too.yes some particularly from the 30's, 40's and 50's have dated badly and the effects  sometimes are laughable but  it's pretty much all they had to go with in those days. i personally think the universal " frankenstein" films have dated very badly  but these films are the heritage and legacy of horror films today, and they  are important. i know you are a fan of the older stuff Theli and if you're a fan of Mario Bava then i don't have to convert you, Bava was a master! smile

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2013-02-27 15:01:29)

Thanks again, keep up the good work!