Re: Foreign country which has most contributed to Horror.

LoudLon wrote:

Of course it was a good call.  Look who made it. big_smile

Personally, I'm waiting for Russia to cut loose.  I didn't like either Nightwatch or Daywatch, but if those are any indication Russia at least has some chutzpah.  I'd like to see more of what Russian filmmakers have to offer.

Ironic considering Russians have made some of the greatest films of all time.

Solaris and Stalker i would consider to be quasi sci-fi horror films..

oh and my choice would be Italy... too many great zombie/giallo/cannibal/mondo movies to disregard..

I think Italy has probably has contributed the most to horror if I had to choose one

But I think Germany gave HUGE contributions to horror during the silent era. I mean, Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Nosferatu, The Golem, Faust (which isn't really a horror movie but I'm including it), Vampyr (which was not during the silent era but I love it so I'm including it in this list), etc. Caligari and Nosferatu both had an unbelievably large impact of the genre. So Germany is definitely one of the countries that contributed best to the genre.

And during the recent years, Japan and France have both been churning out many good horrors.

But I'd still say Italy over all, probably.

Last edited by maudet (2013-08-06 17:25:46)

azathoth wrote:

And older Ruskey film, which I haven't seen but I heard good stuff about, was Vij, Viy, or Spirit of Evil, depending on the release.  Surprised you didn't like Nightwatch.

They have remake Vij to a new 3d movie , looks interesting.

trailer with english
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqr8rqSmzcU

different trailer with russian dialogue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfZh93EOOy8

Last edited by fmvgamer (2013-08-13 02:34:02)

^^
I got around to seeing the original Viy, not bad for 1967 coming from Russia, which wasn't big on horror.  It was a bit campy, but did have some nice FX (flying coffin!).
This new one looks nice.

France and Australia.  France for High Lane, High Tension, the original Les Diaboliques, and Them.  Australia: Wolf Creek, Rogue, Black Water, Long weekend, Picnic at Hanging Rock,  There are so many that I need to catch up on...especially more of the French ones.

japan and mexico

the french do not fk around with their horror... legit. every country has added their own little things..