Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

horrorfan26 wrote:

Just finished reading Bones: Buried Deep by Max Allan Collins

I love his work in comics, Ms. Tree and Road to Perdition are great. The only novel by him I picked up, Quarry's Ex, was really not that well written. I rarely quit a book in the middle, but this one was unreadable.

I read a few PICK UP ARTIST Books, the Arnold Sch. Bio and many Poker Books

Just bought Kristen Painter's book 1: Blood Rights and book 4: Out for Blood.
And Andrea Cremer's books, Bloodrose and Rift. It's a YA werewolf book.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/marcymoon/D471ECEA-8BF8-4EC3-B688-50B92EDCF907-18894-00000AC6038D8182_zps70005d75.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/marcymoon/DAAA270D-86F2-4C8F-97E3-2A1886CE7EB6-18894-00000AC60BB53155_zps54bb4aad.jpg

Last edited by MoonRaven (2013-02-16 11:30:18)

I recently just polished off The House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson.  It's the story of an old recluse who lives in a strange old house with his sister Mary and faithful dog Pepper. The cool thing about this book is that it is completely original, there was no precedent that this is based off. This isn't a ghost story. It's a story of madness, of weird creatures, of other dimensions,  and of the end of the universe. If I were to liken this style to anyone or anything else it would have to be David Lindsay's psychedelic sci-fi classic Voyage to Arcturus mixed with the otherworldy terror of Clark Ashton Smith.

I;ll probably read some short stories, The Vampire by Polidori, and maybe some of the stuff I got from Dark Regions, then I'm picking up The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Got 2 more of my 'leather bound' books in the mail.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/marcymoon/52B88E30-41CE-4563-A73E-E939C7AF6841-18894-00000AC6156B3120_zps535640c4.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/marcymoon/C6E9B723-5052-40F0-9E10-52C13BFF818A-18894-00000AC61D6E682D_zpsf2c65970.jpg

Oh man, those are beautiful! Who is the publisher? Are they new reprints?

last book I read was Looking for Alaska by John Green amazing book so much so that the last book I bought was Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green

@ MoonRaven, those prints are both awesome!

They are new reprints.
I bought them on ebay for like $30 each.
But came across them on the Barnes and Noble website for $18.

A Dark Autumn by Kristopher Ruffy    3.5/5

he writes similar/youcantellheisinfluencedby Richard Laymon, I miss Richard Laymon his writing has no peers.

Got myself Spawn #215 to 220 and woah I enjoyed them very much.
Spawn IS my favorite. smile

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/38780/2282164-spawn__218_super.jpg

Four Screenplays, by Syd Field.  A breakdown of four award-winning but greatly different screenplays (Thelma & Louise, Terminator 2, Dances with Wolves and The Silence of the Lambs) which discusses in detail what makes each script great.  Essential reading for aspiring screenwriters.

Elephants on Acid and other Bizzarre experiments...

Russian 2-headed dogs, electrified corpse dancing and Lethal doses of LSD to pachyderms...all in the name of science...should be a fun read whilst in the hospital room waiting for my daughter.

Just finished reading Burn Notice: The Fix by Todd Goldberg.

I just finished the Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde late yesterday (or early this morning). It's truly a fantastic book. Despite knowing the obvious outcome of the whole story, it was still a riveting read. I read a lot of older books from the 1800 and early 1900, and sometimes the language or prose can be a little more difficult to follow, that is definitely not the case with this book. It was a very easy read and I can easily see why this book has stood the test of time. It's the kind of book that almost anyone can relate too, upper class, lower class, young or old. It has a general feeling of wonder and dread about the mysterious character Hyde. And the opening chapter is definitely a shocker, a scene I don't recall seeing in any of the Jekyll and Hyde film adaptations. Overall a great book, but a quick read. Robert Louis Stevenson was a genius.

Last edited by Theli (2013-02-26 14:37:42)

I got a few books and graphic novels recently.

Graphic Novels:
Uzumaki vol.1 - Junji Ito
Baltimore: The Plague Ships - Mike Mignola and Christopher Golden
House - Josh Simmons

Books:
Haunted - Chuck Palahniuk
In A Glass Darkly - Sheridan Le Fanu

I read all three graphic novels in the interim between finishing Jekyll and Hyde and starting my next book (probably Haunted).

Uzumaki is a very interesting read. It's a horror manga about a village that is seemingly possessed (for lack of a better word) by spirals. Many people lose their minds and disturbing things happen. I'm really digging it. I'll have to get the rest and check more of his work. It's read right to left though, but I'm used to it.

Baltimore is also a great read. It's sort of a horror/steampunk hybrid that takes place in the early 1900. There's been continuous wars and plague spread by a vengeful vampire which is claiming the lives of those who don't die in battle. That's all well and good, but the problem is the dead are rising. Great art and story so far, again it's only volume 1 so I'll have to check out more.

Finally there's House. Now I can't say I read this, as there are no words, but I did experience it, and it was a good experience. It's the story of a guy and two girls who go to explore an abandoned mansion, become separate and experience horrific situations. It's a really well made, but simple story that is told solely with the art. The art is all black and white and relatively basic, but it's dark and creepy nonetheless. A cool little experiment, worth the, uh, read?

Last edited by Theli (2013-02-28 15:25:51)

Bought some books...
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/marcymoon/4DBEE6B2-96C0-417E-9EE1-A5ADD1F52EBA-44482-000016EA3D61FC98_zpsb9b402fc.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/marcymoon/A878F8D4-A391-450B-AF9D-812EEAFEABBC-44482-000016EA35410C86_zpscc771a48.jpg

^^^
Oh wow, these look totally amazing miss Raven!!!

And damn I'm so curious about Neil Gaiman's tale on Living Dead you can't believe how much. Gaiman is one of my top writers ever.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-03-02 18:31:15)

Criminal minds: Sociopaths, Serial killers and other deviants. - An analysis on the real crimes and criminals referenced in the show. Gives a bank of info on the likes of Bundy, Henry Lee Lucas, Manson, The unabomber. You name it, they've got it in here.

kXnPunk wrote:

^^^
Oh wow, these look totally amazing miss Raven!!!

And damn I'm so curious about Neil Gaiman's tale on Living Dead you can't believe how much. Gaiman is one of my top writers ever.

The story is called 'Bitter Grounds'
I think this maybe it.
http://www.tor.com/stories/2010/09/bitter-grounds

^^^
Oh THANK YOU a whole lot miss. YOU ROCK!!! Love U. smile

And even if it's not the one, I still haven't read that one. YAY!!! You make my night!!! H3LL YES!!!

I am reading Riser by Becca C Smith

Exploring The World of Lucid Dreaming by Stephen Laberge

kXnPunk wrote:

^^^
Oh THANK YOU a whole lot miss. YOU ROCK!!! Love U. smile

And even if it's not the one, I still haven't read that one. YAY!!! You make my night!!! H3LL YES!!!

Glad to be of service.

Just bought the following crazy titles off of Amazon:D :

The Portable Jung (Carl Jung Collection paperback)
True Hallucinations: Being An Account of the Author's Extraordinary Adventures in the Devil's Paradise by Terence Mckenna
Sex, Drugs, Einstein & Elves: Sushi, Psychedelics, Parallel Universes, and the Quest for Transcendence by Clifford Pickover
Programming the Human Biocomputer by John C. Lilly
Physics of the Impossible: A Scientific Exploration Into the World of Phasers, Force Fields, Teleportation, and Time Travel by Michio Kaku
A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

I'm pretty excited.