Topic: Horror Films of Actors/ Actresses Not Usually Known For Horror 6/10

Here WE go again folks with number 6. by the way i have seen every film that i mention in this threads and some of them i don't like but i put them in. A lot of them i haven't seen for ages so do plots from memory smile

Today we have number 6 and that is 

6. John Agar

This is   the one that people will go " Huh " Too! some of you may not have even heard of him and the older ones will know he did a lot of Sci - fic  and westerns but he still wasn't best known for the genre. He was best known for being Mr Shirley Temple  and  also having a drink problem and ended up in a run of awful sci fic pics for Larry Buchanan in the 1960's- early 70's but made a comeback in his later days in some good films. was a member of John Wayne's stock company appearing in " Fort Apache", " She Wore  A Yellow Ribbon", " Sands Of Iwo Jima" and many other wayne westerns. here we go in chronological order.

1. TARANTULA ( 1955) 

A experiment on giagiantism in a desert labortory goes wrong and produces a giant tarantula spider that goes on a murderous rampage in a desert town. One OF the classic " Giant creature" movies of the 1950's with John Agar playing Dr Matt Hastings, a typical he man 50's hero. the spider for it's time was pretty good and the close ups of it's face pretty scary. Clint Eastwood has a very small role in the film at the end as the pilot that nukes the monster.

2.THE MOLE PEOPLE ( 1956) A group of archeologists ( John Agar among them playing Dr Roger Bentley) discover a underground world where two types of strange races live one good, one evil. the mole people look the more monstrous but in fact are not really the baddies. i quite liked this and wasn't expecting to when i saw it for the first time a few years ago, mainly due to the different not exactly happy ending. enjoyable.

3.THE BRAIN FROM PLANET AROUS ( 1957) a sci fic classic and on e of the daftest  plotted ! The title creature comes down to earth and possesses a scientist Steve March ( played by John Agar)and causes a lot of death and destruction. A good brain also comes to earth and assumes the body of a dog to combat the evil brain.John Agar has the time of his life in this film going over the top sneering and laughing hysterically and watch the scene where he laughs insanely as he fires laser beams from his eyes and destroys a passenger plane in mid flight. he has scary eyes in this film. This was different for it's time and a lot of fun.

4.MIRACLE MILE (1988) I love this film it has everything, is an end of the world story. has love, tragedy, comedy, violence and is very moving. A man picks up a phone and hears a disturbing phonecall from a soldier that  nuclear missles have been fired and there is going to be a nuclear holocaust. The Man ( Anthony Edwards) tries to convince people that it is real.He becomes involved with a girl ( Mare Willingham)  in a touching romance, and John Agar is good and moving as Ivan peters the girl's elderly and confused father. This science fiction drama is not easy to explain but it is very good and very well acted and may leave a lump in your throat.

5. NIGHTBREED. (1990)This was John Agar's penultimate film and his part is not a very big one but he gets to play against David Cronenberg who is sensational and evil and creepy as the villain of the piece as Doctor Dekker. The film was directed by Clive Barker and based on his Cabal novels. A man keeps dreaming of a strange place where all sorts of creatures live in a strange underground world, he discovers the place is real but the creatures do not accept him. when he is killed he comes back to live and is accepted by them and finds there is a psychotic killer out to destroy them.

well there we have it, as usual please feel free to make any comments good or bad and by all means look these films up if you are so inclined. see you soon for the seventh in the series smile

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2013-03-02 17:01:09)

Re: Horror Films of Actors/ Actresses Not Usually Known For Horror 6/10

Again a list of films I haven't really seen. Nightbreed sounds pretty interesting, always interested when Clive Barker is involved, same goes for Cronenberg, though I'm not sure I've seen him act before.

Seen Tarentula and The Brain From Planet Arous along with Fort Apache and Sands of Iwo Kima. A great, very great performer this guy is.
Should definitely put Nightbreed on my watchlist. Never seen Cronenberg act either so...

Thanks for that mr. Cute as mad and over the top Sexy Hot avatar. smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-03-03 03:50:32)

kXnPunk wrote:

Thanks for that mr. Cute as mad and over the top Sexy Hot avatar. smile

Phew! thank goodness you added the word avatar there Punky! you had me worried for a second, i thought you were referring to me! lol

^^^
Mwahahaha H3LL NO!!! lol

I'm almost ashamed to say I've not seen any of those except Nightbreed.  I think I've seen The Mole People, but it was way back when I was just a little nard and have no real memory of it except the title. hmm

LoudLon wrote:

I'm almost ashamed to say I've not seen any of those except Nightbreed.  I think I've seen The Mole People, but it was way back when I was just a little nard and have no real memory of it except the title. hmm

check out " Miracle Mile" Lon. i think you'll like it.

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2013-03-03 14:57:03)

I think I have only seen Nightbreed also.  Which by the way is fantastic!  You guys won't be disappointed.   I might have seen Tarantula when I was younger?   The giant bug movies kinda all run together for me....  Is it like Them!?

wolfman1959 wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

check out " Miracle Mile" Lon. i think you'll like it.

D'oh!  With Anthony Edwards!  I HAVE seen that one.  lol

DirtyGirl wrote:

I think I have only seen Nightbreed also.  Which by the way is fantastic!  You guys won't be disappointed.   I might have seen Tarantula when I was younger?   The giant bug movies kinda all run together for me....  Is it like Them!?

No Mary, THEM! Is the King of the " Giant Bug" movies, Tarantula is just ok smile

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2013-03-04 14:54:18)

BAM!
3000 TTs to the Wolfster for being The Awesome.

azathoth wrote:

BAM!
3000 TTs to the Wolfster for being The Awesome.

why thank you, much appreciated young man smile