Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

I hear ya man
And ya you tell em Bassi those old timer lurkers get your ass / fingers back in here.... I love it here too... sometimes I'm gone for who knows how long BUT I will always come back!


unless I get banned again.. I dont mean to bring that up but this is the only site that I got back on after getting banned, so thats a fuckin bonus ... ALL TO MEH

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

DirtyGirl wrote:

Dark night of the scarecrow is a good one...maybe we should add it at the end?

I agree

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

Theli wrote:

Why is Inside missing off the list? I haven't seen it. Sounded cool though.


Sorry I must have just missed it.   I can add it at the end. 

Not sure if it qualifies as a slasher either though.  Anyone else?

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

Inside is a yummy flick!

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

^^^
Well she kills a bunch, with knifes and scissors, she even slices open the belly of the girl with the said scissors, how much more slasher than that do you want??? lol
Just my opinion though.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-03-07 16:54:20)

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

hey you just spoiled the film hahaha

between you and me, as if I care haha

It wants me to get a a hooker prego so I can do the same!!!

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

DirtyGirl wrote:
Theli wrote:

Why is Inside missing off the list? I haven't seen it. Sounded cool though.


Sorry I must have just missed it.   I can add it at the end. 

Not sure if it qualifies as a slasher either though.  Anyone else?

Here we go again. I have to defend my 3d entry (Martyrs and I saw the Devil already been scrapped).

According to you OP, slasher is a high body count done by the same killer. So what is exactly your argument against Inside? Just curious,

What's next, Frontier(s) is not a slasher either?

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

DirtyGirl wrote:
Theli wrote:

Why is Inside missing off the list? I haven't seen it. Sounded cool though.


Sorry I must have just missed it.   I can add it at the end. 

Not sure if it qualifies as a slasher either though.  Anyone else?

I think it qualifies.  A psycho woman traumatized by an earlier incident stalking a victim with a pair of oversized scissors and picking off anyone who gets in her way sure sounds like a slasher flick to me. lol

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

DemonToSome wrote:

hey you just spoiled the film hahaha

between you and me, as if I care haha

It wants me to get a a hooker prego so I can do the same!!!

Good for you  You'll learn that with titles like Inside you HAVE to see it. You hear me??? lol

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

I'd like to see dirtygirl in a hidden film.... that would make me day tongue

186

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

Xytras wrote:
DirtyGirl wrote:
Theli wrote:

Why is Inside missing off the list? I haven't seen it. Sounded cool though.


Sorry I must have just missed it.   I can add it at the end. 

Not sure if it qualifies as a slasher either though.  Anyone else?

Here we go again. I have to defend my 3d entry (Martyrs and I saw the Devil already been scrapped).

According to you OP, slasher is a high body count done by the same killer. So what is exactly your argument against Inside? Just curious,

What's next, Frontier(s) is not a slasher either?

No need to be hostile just cause you don't know what a slasher film is.

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

Theli wrote:
Xytras wrote:
DirtyGirl wrote:

Sorry I must have just missed it.   I can add it at the end. 

Not sure if it qualifies as a slasher either though.  Anyone else?

Here we go again. I have to defend my 3d entry (Martyrs and I saw the Devil already been scrapped).

According to you OP, slasher is a high body count done by the same killer. So what is exactly your argument against Inside? Just curious,

What's next, Frontier(s) is not a slasher either?

No need to be hostile just cause you don't know what a slasher film is.

How am I hostile? It's OP's claim that Inside is not a slasher. So who knows what?

188

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

Look at your post above and try and tell me it's not dripping with sarcasm. It was a simple question of what people thought, most people were probably going to agree with you (I dunno, haven't seen it).

Who know's what? You don't know what a slasher film is. That's why you needed an explanation, and when you got one that was really half hearted you stuck to it like it was the gospel truth, throwing it in peoples faces. If all movies with one person as a killer is a slasher, then you'd have a whole lot more movies in here, tons of crime dramas and noir flicks, M would be part of the list. And if you stuck with only what the description she gave, then we'd be missing almost half the list, THHE, Wrong Turn, Scream etc.

So, no, you don't know what a slasher is, and that's why your selections were questionned.

Last edited by Theli (2013-03-07 18:04:24)

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

Let's simmer down, now.

Xytras -- DG didn't say Inside isn't a slasher.  She said she's not sure, and asked for others' opinions. 

Now I'm not usually much for wikipedia but I have to admit they do a swell job of breaking down and defining what makes a slasher flick a slasher flick:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slasher_film

I think Inside follows the basic paradigm and qualifies as a slasher.  I agree that Frontier(s) is a slasher, as well.

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

Theli wrote:

Look at your post above and try and tell me it's not dripping with sarcasm. It was a simple question of what people thought, most people were probably going to agree with you (I dunno, haven't seen it).

Who know's what? You don't know what a slasher film is. That's why you needed an explanation, and when you got one that was really half hearted you stuck to it like it was the gospel truth, throwing it in peoples faces. If all movies with one person as a killer is a slasher, then you'd have a whole lot more movies in here, tons of crime dramas and noir flicks, M would be part of the list. And if you stuck with only what the description she gave, then we'd be missing almost half the list, THHE, Wrong Turn, Scream etc.

So, no, you don't know what a slasher is, and that's why your selections were questionned.


Cool. I got you. Inside is not a slasher. I just feel sorry for some poor guy or gal who "tune in" into that IMDB list hoping to find out what are 100 GREATEST Slasher of all time (as per list title) and what they get are bunch of movies that been googled with the key words Slasher Movies and then top 100 results were made into the list. Like bunch of them don't even get rating of four on IMDB which is a bottom of a barrel even by horror standards.

While truly great slashers like Inside or I saw the Devil (psycho man just because that the way he is slashes, dices and rapes anything that moves, sounds like a slasher to me) for that matter are not on a list. I already can see comments at the end of a list:"Where is Inside?" Where is "I saw the Devil?". But what do I know.

191

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

Nothing, like I said.

Last edited by Theli (2013-03-07 18:21:58)

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

Its important to make the difference between a serial killer/thriller movie like I Saw The Devil and Henry: Portrait of A Serial killer (both realistic depictions) and Slasher film which often contain more supernatural elements (invincible bogeymen) such as in Halloween or Friday 13th Part 2 onwards, are less realistic or exaggerated e.g Mario Bava's Bay of Blood

YET I dont think anyone can definitively say what a slasher film is because the various sub-genres of horror merge in quite a lot of films. An example is Maniac or New York Ripper. I mean they are both splatter/exploitation films and slasher/giallo combined.

Last edited by Vasquez (2013-03-07 18:40:13)

193

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

For sure. There's multiple films that will more than one subgenre. But I'd rather have a list that is genuine slashers (or at least close to) and not just other good horror movies because we couldn't think of any others to add to the list.

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

Xytras wrote:
Theli wrote:

Look at your post above and try and tell me it's not dripping with sarcasm. It was a simple question of what people thought, most people were probably going to agree with you (I dunno, haven't seen it).

Who know's what? You don't know what a slasher film is. That's why you needed an explanation, and when you got one that was really half hearted you stuck to it like it was the gospel truth, throwing it in peoples faces. If all movies with one person as a killer is a slasher, then you'd have a whole lot more movies in here, tons of crime dramas and noir flicks, M would be part of the list. And if you stuck with only what the description she gave, then we'd be missing almost half the list, THHE, Wrong Turn, Scream etc.

So, no, you don't know what a slasher is, and that's why your selections were questionned.


Cool. I got you. Inside is not a slasher. I just feel sorry for some poor guy or gal who "tune in" into that IMDB list hoping to find out what are 100 GREATEST Slasher of all time (as per list title) and what they get are bunch of movies that been googled with the key words Slasher Movies and then top 100 results were made into the list. Like bunch of them don't even get rating of four on IMDB which is a bottom of a barrel even by horror standards.

While truly great slashers like Inside or I saw the Devil (psycho man just because that the way he is slashes, dices and rapes anything that moves, sounds like a slasher to me) for that matter are not on a list. I already can see comments at the end of a list:"Where is Inside?" Where is "I saw the Devil?". But what do I know.

There is a LOT more to I Saw The Devil than you have described. it has some profound themes in its narrative such as revenge and how it corrupts the initial victim so he becomes a monster himself when he enacts revenge, yet from which can never erase his pain. Therefore the table is turned on the initial 'pyscho' killer you speak of and we are unsure who is the true monster at the end. Both or is the initial serial killer now a victim?. The game that develops between these two central characters also creates some great suspense in what is essentially a cat and mouse game so you can an element of a thriller there aswell. Now I dont see any similar themes like that in Friday the 13th or other trashy 80's slashers with psychos like Intruder.

Last edited by Vasquez (2013-03-07 18:39:53)

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

Vasquez wrote:
Xytras wrote:
Theli wrote:

Look at your post above and try and tell me it's not dripping with sarcasm. It was a simple question of what people thought, most people were probably going to agree with you (I dunno, haven't seen it).

Who know's what? You don't know what a slasher film is. That's why you needed an explanation, and when you got one that was really half hearted you stuck to it like it was the gospel truth, throwing it in peoples faces. If all movies with one person as a killer is a slasher, then you'd have a whole lot more movies in here, tons of crime dramas and noir flicks, M would be part of the list. And if you stuck with only what the description she gave, then we'd be missing almost half the list, THHE, Wrong Turn, Scream etc.

So, no, you don't know what a slasher is, and that's why your selections were questionned.


Cool. I got you. Inside is not a slasher. I just feel sorry for some poor guy or gal who "tune in" into that IMDB list hoping to find out what are 100 GREATEST Slasher of all time (as per list title) and what they get are bunch of movies that been googled with the key words Slasher Movies and then top 100 results were made into the list. Like bunch of them don't even get rating of four on IMDB which is a bottom of a barrel even by horror standards.

While truly great slashers like Inside or I saw the Devil (psycho man just because that the way he is slashes, dices and rapes anything that moves, sounds like a slasher to me) for that matter are not on a list. I already can see comments at the end of a list:"Where is Inside?" Where is "I saw the Devil?". But what do I know.

There is a LOT more to I Saw The Devil than you have described. it has some profound themes in its narrative such as revenge and how it corrupts the initial victim so he becomes a monster himself when he enacts revenge, yet from which can never erase his pain. Therefore the table is turned on the initial 'pyscho' killer you speak of and we are unsure who is the true monster at the end. Both or is the initial serial killer now a victim?. The game that develops between these two central characters also creates some great suspense in what is essentially a cat and mouse game so you can an element of a thriller there aswell. Now I dont see any similar themes like that in Friday the 13th or other trashy 80's slashers with psychos like Intruder.

True. But just because the movie is more complex than Friday, Halloween and such does not make it less of a slasher. I mean Identity is more complex than latter two and could be argued it's not a true slasher as well.

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

I Saw the Devil isn't a slasher - it's a thriller. A damn scary thriller but a thriller nevertheless. A thriller in the same vein as  'The Hand that Rocks the Cradle' or 'Fatal Attraction', all three are shit scary flicks with many slasher traits buuut, a slasher film for me has sylised murder set pieces. Yeah, that's a tough call but let's use the great proto slasher Black Christmas as an example, Margot Kidder getting stabbed with an ornate glass bird echoes the death-by-art theme appropriated in a bagillion previous giallo pic's. Bay of Blood qualifies for similar reasons, as does The Clown at Midnight.

Attempting to define the exact definition of what constitutes a 'slasher' is extremely difficult and the only one of this list I would steadfastly refute is Suspiria as that's a film about supernatural witchcraft. Not even a giallo.

One could argue that Assault on Precinct 13 is a slasher film, ditto The Silence of the Lambs.

My only regret is that I didn't chime in with 'Slaughter High'. big_smile

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

Xytras wrote:
Vasquez wrote:
Xytras wrote:

Cool. I got you. Inside is not a slasher. I just feel sorry for some poor guy or gal who "tune in" into that IMDB list hoping to find out what are 100 GREATEST Slasher of all time (as per list title) and what they get are bunch of movies that been googled with the key words Slasher Movies and then top 100 results were made into the list. Like bunch of them don't even get rating of four on IMDB which is a bottom of a barrel even by horror standards.

While truly great slashers like Inside or I saw the Devil (psycho man just because that the way he is slashes, dices and rapes anything that moves, sounds like a slasher to me) for that matter are not on a list. I already can see comments at the end of a list:"Where is Inside?" Where is "I saw the Devil?". But what do I know.

There is a LOT more to I Saw The Devil than you have described. it has some profound themes in its narrative such as revenge and how it corrupts the initial victim so he becomes a monster himself when he enacts revenge, yet from which can never erase his pain. Therefore the table is turned on the initial 'pyscho' killer you speak of and we are unsure who is the true monster at the end. Both or is the initial serial killer now a victim?. The game that develops between these two central characters also creates some great suspense in what is essentially a cat and mouse game so you can an element of a thriller there aswell. Now I dont see any similar themes like that in Friday the 13th or other trashy 80's slashers with psychos like Intruder.

True. But just because the movie is more complex than Friday, Halloween and such does not make it less of a slasher. I mean Identity is more complex than latter two and could be argued it's not a true slasher as well.

I dont think it is a slasher because the story and narrative primarily focuses on the dual motives and confrontation between the two main characters - not the single intentions of one or more character - plus my previous points.

198

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

The murders in Suspiria are at times reminiscent of slasher type murders though. And Just because it has a supernatural element doesn't mean it can't  be a slasher, ANOES for example. That said I also don't consider it a slasher.

Martyrs to me is the least of the ones listed. The only thing that it has in common with other slashers is that people get killed by other people. No mystery, no elaborate murders, no stalking killer, just a sad victimized girl, and some messed up torture freaks. And i don't consider torture flicks slashers, otherwise I probably would have mention Saw, Hostel and Wolf Creek somewhere along the line.

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

Xytras wrote:
Theli wrote:

Look at your post above and try and tell me it's not dripping with sarcasm. It was a simple question of what people thought, most people were probably going to agree with you (I dunno, haven't seen it).

Who know's what? You don't know what a slasher film is. That's why you needed an explanation, and when you got one that was really half hearted you stuck to it like it was the gospel truth, throwing it in peoples faces. If all movies with one person as a killer is a slasher, then you'd have a whole lot more movies in here, tons of crime dramas and noir flicks, M would be part of the list. And if you stuck with only what the description she gave, then we'd be missing almost half the list, THHE, Wrong Turn, Scream etc.

So, no, you don't know what a slasher is, and that's why your selections were questionned.


Cool. I got you. Inside is not a slasher. I just feel sorry for some poor guy or gal who "tune in" into that IMDB list hoping to find out what are 100 GREATEST Slasher of all time (as per list title) and what they get are bunch of movies that been googled with the key words Slasher Movies and then top 100 results were made into the list. Like bunch of them don't even get rating of four on IMDB which is a bottom of a barrel even by horror standards.

While truly great slashers like Inside or I saw the Devil (psycho man just because that the way he is slashes, dices and rapes anything that moves, sounds like a slasher to me) for that matter are not on a list. I already can see comments at the end of a list:"Where is Inside?" Where is "I saw the Devil?". But what do I know.

Seriously, what the hell is your problem? And don't say 'oh I was being nice, where does it look like I am mad?' or something along of them lines. Everything you said there is subjective. IMDB says lots of horror films are bad (with low ratings) and they are great movies (to me, yet again) subjective.

You're getting upset over opinions and someone asking if a movie is a slasher, seriously!?

Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:
Xytras wrote:
Theli wrote:

Look at your post above and try and tell me it's not dripping with sarcasm. It was a simple question of what people thought, most people were probably going to agree with you (I dunno, haven't seen it).

Who know's what? You don't know what a slasher film is. That's why you needed an explanation, and when you got one that was really half hearted you stuck to it like it was the gospel truth, throwing it in peoples faces. If all movies with one person as a killer is a slasher, then you'd have a whole lot more movies in here, tons of crime dramas and noir flicks, M would be part of the list. And if you stuck with only what the description she gave, then we'd be missing almost half the list, THHE, Wrong Turn, Scream etc.

So, no, you don't know what a slasher is, and that's why your selections were questionned.


Cool. I got you. Inside is not a slasher. I just feel sorry for some poor guy or gal who "tune in" into that IMDB list hoping to find out what are 100 GREATEST Slasher of all time (as per list title) and what they get are bunch of movies that been googled with the key words Slasher Movies and then top 100 results were made into the list. Like bunch of them don't even get rating of four on IMDB which is a bottom of a barrel even by horror standards.

While truly great slashers like Inside or I saw the Devil (psycho man just because that the way he is slashes, dices and rapes anything that moves, sounds like a slasher to me) for that matter are not on a list. I already can see comments at the end of a list:"Where is Inside?" Where is "I saw the Devil?". But what do I know.

Seriously, what the hell is your problem? And don't say 'oh I was being nice, where does it look like I am mad?' or something along of them lines. Everything you said there is subjective. IMDB says lots of horror films are bad (with low ratings) and they are great movies (to me, yet again) subjective.

You're getting upset over opinions and someone asking if a movie is a slasher, seriously!?

You probably should re-read a quoted post above yours. I am not upset over my movies but the integrity of a list is compromised. Just because some movies with very low ratings are great to you does not mean the same to everyone. Thus low ratings(duh)