Re: 100 Greatest Slashers of all time.

^ Maybe you should re-read the end of my sentence, huh? Here, I'll quote it for you:

IMDB says lots of horror films are bad (with low ratings) and they are great movies (to me, yet again) subjective.

I bolded the part that is important. I said before that it's all subjective, that's the point of my entire post.

just because a movie has a high rating doesn't mean it makes the list. it still has to be a slasher. Unfortunately there is not 100 great slashers objectively (or probably even subjectively), but that doesn't mean you just throw in other good horror movies that aren't slashers, that is compromising the list.

I've already asked you folks to simmer down once.  So consider this twice.  If you can't discuss this civilly, then don't discuss it at all.

We are discussing, admittedly somewhat heatedly, but this will happen when people disagree, we can't all agree on everything. Why even have a discussion board then? I'll try to tone it down though. At least we haven't reached name calling yet, Lon you SOB.

Damn, you know what is funny.  We forgot Peeping Tom (1960).  It is even mentioned on the Wikipedia page that Lon cited as one of the earliest influences on the slasher genre.  How can we have a list without that one on there?

As for the argument as to what should and should not be included on the list, I don't think that anyone should take offence to the fact that one of their suggestions was not included.  It is not that their opinion was not valued, or that anyone was saying they were wrong for suggesting it, but rather that the majority of members felt that the sugestion did not meet the criteria to be included on the list.  I think that it was handled in the right manner.

Theli wrote:

We are discussing, admittedly somewhat heatedly, but this will happen when people disagree, we can't all agree on everything. Why even have a discussion board then? I'll try to tone it down though. At least we haven't reached name calling yet, Lon you SOB.

When I can, I try to nip stuff in the bud before it blows up, you bastard. big_smile

Heh heh, alright on with show boys and ghouls. We'll just have to agree to disagree on some points.

You know what???
All that I've read since my previous post leaves me knowing even less what a Slasher really is.
So I'll believe LoudLon Wiki's link. lol

I know what you did last summer tongue

^^^
Me too I received a note. lol

Wow!  This has turned into quite the debate while I was away.  I think everyone has a valid argument here.  We just want to keep the list on track so we are discussing some movies that just don't fit into the rest of the list. 

As for what makes a slasher a slasher?  I suggest you go and watch that whole list of movies and then report back to this debate.  Those movies were not just "googled".  They appear on the list because they are true slashers.  I have not seen every movie on the list myself but I have seen at least 90 percent of them.  So I can make a well educated remark on whether a movie should stay or go.  I am only calling into question those that really stick out and seem out of place on the list.  Personally I loved Inside. It is a great gory movie.  I just didn't think it fit in with the others.  It seems as if everyone agrees it should go on the list so I will add it on.  I see a few other movies have been listed as well that should be added like Peeping tom and I know what you did last summer.  I don't care if we go over 100, we can just add them on anyway. 

Slashers have a certain feel to them.  It can be hard to explain, but I will try...Usually the killer is unknown (Prowler), sometimes they have supernatural powers and are invincible (Halloween, Friday the 13th sequels, Nightmare on Elm street), sometimes they were abused as children (maniac) ,they kill a lot of people in innovative and unique ways (Intruder),  The body count is high (The Burning), the killer might have a reason to kill, like revenge, but they mostly just kill randomly (victims are typically teenagers having sex, teenagers drinking and smoking, girls who check out strange noises in their underwear...etc) 

They are not always rated very high on Imdb because lets face it...they usually don't have much of a storyline.  Slashers are about the kills and the body count.  Those movies where someone gets killed in a really nasty way and you yell out Damn! at the TV.  They are typically mindless gory fun.  Sometimes we get a good twist at the end though (sleepaway camp, Identity, Friday the 13th, all giallos etc...) 

So does that make it a little clearer?  clear as mud? 

I will add the movies to the list tonight.  smile

Last edited by DirtyGirl (2013-03-08 08:09:55)