Re: Last horror movie you watched?

I never heard of THHE  but I seen so many movies in the past cople days Im havig a hard time to remember the titles... now thats sad!

The Hills Have Eyes? I'm surprised it's a pretty well known horror flick (it and the re-make). One of the few movies where the re-make was on par, or arguably better than the original.

May be biased because I saw the remake first, but the original is too campy for my taste.

Anyway, watched Stage Fright (1987). Or it's known as Deliria too. Or StageFright: Aquarius (weird). I get confused with multiple titles.

I ain't the biggest slasher fan; in fact, I'm very picky. It's not that I don't like them it's just most don't strike me as amazing. Or does it have giallo elements? I don't know because I'm not even sure what giallo is - italian mystery? There wasn't any mystery in this, just plain ol' slasher trope.

But I really liked Stage Fright, particularly the music. That surreal opening with the gal dressed as Marilyn Monroe, blasting away on that saxophone with the groovy tune... and the owl man - cheesy goodness.

Unique mask for the killer I gotta say. He didn't really have that much flair, but it worked.

I wasn't really appreciating it as it went along, but by the end I realised that it was the kind of movie for me. I'd be interested in watching it again.

8/10 (unusually high score from me)

Just saw the new Soderbergh film Side Effects. It's a psychological thriller as opposed to straight out horror... but I thought it was done really well. I enjoyed the story, didn't see where the twist was coming. The cinematography was done very well, and made you feel somewhat claustraphobic. Anyone see it?

I'm the same way Chomper. I'm not huge into most slasher flicks, but Stagefright is one of my favourites. Something about the italian sensiblities, the way the cinematography is done.

Chomper wrote:

May be biased because I saw the remake first, but the original is too campy for my taste.

Anyway, watched Stage Fright (1987). Or it's known as Deliria too. Or StageFright: Aquarius (weird). I get confused with multiple titles.

I ain't the biggest slasher fan; in fact, I'm very picky. It's not that I don't like them it's just most don't strike me as amazing. Or does it have giallo elements? I don't know because I'm not even sure what giallo is - italian mystery? There wasn't any mystery in this, just plain ol' slasher trope.

But I really liked Stage Fright, particularly the music. That surreal opening with the gal dressed as Marilyn Monroe, blasting away on that saxophone with the groovy tune... and the owl man - cheesy goodness.

Unique mask for the killer I gotta say. He didn't really have that much flair, but it worked.

I wasn't really appreciating it as it went along, but by the end I realised that it was the kind of movie for me. I'd be interested in watching it again.

8/10 (unusually high score from me)

Big fan of this flick, myself and have seen it countless times.  I even have an original VHS release in a big, white clam shell. lol

But in regards to giallo flicks (well, the plural is actually gialli) a giallo is a murdery/mystery with equally heavy doses of violence executed by a gloved killer, sexual deviance and visual flair, and typically there's a twist-ending after the killer's reveal.  The sub-genre got its name based on Italian murder/mystery novels in the 50s, which were usually bound in yellow covers; the Italian word for "yellow" is "giallo."

If you really want to delve into gialli, here's a short-list of must-sees:

Tenebre (1982)
Opera (1987)
A Blade in the Dark (1983)
The Case of the Scorpion's Tale (1971)
Deep Red (1975)
Black Belly of the Tarantula (1971)
Four Flies on Grey Velvet (most sources say 1971 but I believe it was '73)
Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (1972)

I recommend checking out Naked You Die! Not for it's high level of quality, but it's hilarious title and incredibly obvious whodunnit story.

I watched a few flicks tonight, the best one being Creep (2004). It was really really well done, what a fantastic setting the London Underground makes for a horror movie! It did for the underground what The Descent did for caves big_smile Claustrophobic, tense and well made. Enjoyed it a lot!

getken wrote:

Just saw the new Soderbergh film Side Effects. It's a psychological thriller as opposed to straight out horror... but I thought it was done really well. I enjoyed the story, didn't see where the twist was coming. The cinematography was done very well, and made you feel somewhat claustraphobic. Anyone see it?

Nope but looking forward like H3LL to be able to see it.
Hey, of course, it's Soderbergh. big_smile

Stage Fright. Woooo Stage FrightStageFrightStageFriiiiiiight!!!

TENEBRAE!!!

I'm definitely interested in seeing Naked You Die! Which will happen soon.

Same with Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key which has one of the longest movie titles I've ever seen, lol

And my Queen, glad you liked the Creeoiness. smile
That Zombie dude was rad no??? And the atmosphere tenebrous. VERY!!!

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-03-08 00:36:56)

I watched The Tall Man yesterday. And man was that a let down, way to go Canada! Very misleading trailers for this flick make it appear to be a horror movie when it's actually just horrible. Dems the breaks I guess.

NAKED YOU DIE!!!
HOLY FREAKING H3LL the good old cheesy fun.
Enjoyed. QUite a bit.
8/10

I drunkenly yelled the title like a hundred times upon first viewing of Naked You Die.

Terror Train:  8/10 Neat, interesting, entertaining. Dig it.

Another fantastic thing about Tall Man is that there is no characters in that entire movie that are taller than me. My friend's and I were joking about how it must be about a tax creditor named Larry Tallman.

LoudLon wrote:

Big fan of this flick, myself and have seen it countless times.  I even have an original VHS release in a big, white clam shell. lol

But in regards to giallo flicks (well, the plural is actually gialli) a giallo is a murdery/mystery with equally heavy doses of violence executed by a gloved killer, sexual deviance and visual flair, and typically there's a twist-ending after the killer's reveal.  The sub-genre got its name based on Italian murder/mystery novels in the 50s, which were usually bound in yellow covers; the Italian word for "yellow" is "giallo."

If you really want to delve into gialli, here's a short-list of must-sees:

Tenebre (1982)
Opera (1987)
A Blade in the Dark (1983)
The Case of the Scorpion's Tale (1971)
Deep Red (1975)
Black Belly of the Tarantula (1971)
Four Flies on Grey Velvet (most sources say 1971 but I believe it was '73)
Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (1972)

Thanks, really appreciate it. I've actually seen Tenebre and Opera - liked Tenebre a lot. Will check out those others. But yeah, StageFright was a lot of fun. I'd treasure that big clam shell! I wanna grab a copy of this movie.

That's very interesting 'bout the giallo. I've heard it mentioned around here a lot but I was never fully certain about it.

Theli wrote:

I recommend checking out Naked You Die! Not for it's high level of quality, but it's hilarious title and incredibly obvious whodunnit story.

Will do!

Last night watched The ABC's of Death. D for disappointing. BUT that's not to say there weren't some good segments. Most coming in at the end. Xavier Gens did one if not the best for X in XXL, and others I liked were D Dogfight, V Vagitus, T for Toilet (shown here a twisted animation), R Removed, and a couple of clever ones Q for Quack and N for Nuptials. There are some really f-ed up ones too like L for Libido. Overall it's really hit and miss.

OH and I don't understand, why there were so many toilet references in most segments? AND Ti West's segment was probably the worst, short, lame, no thought behind it.

Here's the T is for Toilet Clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCmMebE0pIg

Last edited by JoeTerror (2013-03-08 16:49:37)

Watched Stoker on the big screen tonight.

I have never rated Oldboy, from the same director, as it appears quite a few others have but this was the best Horror/psychological thriller, hell film of any genre I have seen at the cinema for a LONG time. Completely engrossed and stunned me with its visuals from the word go. Also incorporates a complex, but well written narrative and story with strong performances from all the cast. 9/10

If anyone wants to see this I definitely recommend you see on the big screen where its visual approach and creativity will i genuinely believe have its greatest impact on you.

Last edited by Vasquez (2013-03-08 19:37:08)

Stitches

Good, fun slasher.

7/10

The Bay

Interesting plot for a found footage flick, nicely done.

7.5/10

Vasquez wrote:

I have never rated Oldboy from the same director as it appears quite a few others do have but this was the best Horror/psychological thriller, hell film of any genre I have seen at the cinema for a LONG time. Completely engrossed and stunned me with its visuals from the word go. Also incorporates a complex, but well written narrative and story with strong performances from all the cast. 9/10

If anyone wants to see this I definitely recommend you see on the big screen where its visual approach and creativity will i genuinely believe have its greatest impact on you.

Very much looking forward to see this one smile

Loved Old Boy and was really curious about this one. Good to know, thanks!

Vasquez wrote:

Just got done watching Madison County. Trailer has that 80's kind of vibe to it but don't be fooled it doesn't come close to the classics. Story is never resolved and then it just ends. Must have run out of money. I love in the description too

Altered - simple but really fun alien flick. Love the practical fx.  8/10

Sweeney Todd [2007]

I watched this tonight with my Mum and it was brilliant. I absolutely loved everything about it, and the gothic depiction of London is possibly my favourite view of London in any movie. The characters were fantastic and the acting was absolutely first class.

Such a fun movie, I know I'm going to want to watch this one over and over and I can't believe it's taken me this long to see it! Excellent film

^^^
I loved the way he's set up his trap under the chair.
I was screaming VERY LOUD when I first saw this. lol

Burton at his best. A kick ass one.

I am watching SyFy's Flying Monkeys right now!  It has a cute capuchin monkey and giant flesh eating flying monkey!  big_smile big_smile big_smile

^^^
Oh very cool. A flesh eating flying monkey... WOW!!!

I'm sure you're a total fan of this am I right??? big_smile