Topic: Your favourite decade of horror

Like the title suggests, what is your favourite decade for horror movies? And what are some of your favourites from that era? Is there a specific style, actor, director or other reason why you liked that era?

Re: Your favourite decade of horror

I have to go late 70s into the 80s.  Back when horror was R rated, had goofy hair and even worse clothing fashions.  A lot of great directors- Raimi, Carpenter, Craven, Cronengurg, Fulci, Gordon/Yuzna, etc.  Movies could be over-the-top and still be fun.

There was a thread were people picked their favorite years.  Of course I can't find it, but I found a snippet from the Is 1960 the best year in horror thread:

For example, 1981:
An American Werewolf in London, The Beyond, The Black Cat, Cannibal Ferox, Don't Go in the Woods, Don't Go Near the Park, The Entity, Evil Dead (!), Fridays the 13th Part 2, The Funhouse, Halloween II, Happy Birthday to Me, Hell Night, The House by the Cemetery, The Howling, My Bloody Valentine, Piranha 2 ( lol ), Wolfen.

Well I have 2.
60s Horror Hotel
80s Evil Dead

Don't even need to add anything more. big_smile

If I had to pick a decade I'd say the 70s, because it's when horror started really pushing the envelope as far as subject matter and graphic violence goes, and I think there was a stronger focus on characterization and storytelling.

Specifically, though, if I had to pick an exact span of years, I'd say it would be from around 1972 to 1985 or so.  All my absolute favorite horror films fall within those years and while every decade before and after has had its genre highlights, I don't think horror's ever been as good as it was during that particular time span.

^^^
Agreed.

^^
Plaid clothing and orange furniture.  Now we're talking!

I'm going with late 70's to 80's.
Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Carrie....
Maybe early 70's too for The Exorcist and Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I'm seeing a unifying theme here big_smile! For me it's not that easy, clearly the 80's and late 70's had a lot of output, and a lot of quality output, but I think for me it would have to be the 20's or 30's. There is something irreplaceable about black and white in horror. It just feels more grim and dark. The 20's had two of my all time favourites, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Nosferatu, as well a some other greats like Jekyll and Hyde and Phantom of the Opera. That said the 30's definitely had more horror movies, of similar quality, Vampyr, Dracula (spanish and regular), Frankenstein, The Invisible Man etc. Hell even the 40's was a tempting vote for the Val Lewton productions alone.

I think I'll stick early though, and go with the 20's. Not for quantity but pure quality, when words weren't needed to bring terror to your bones, when red blood and brain matter were trumped by shadows on the screen and in our minds.

Definitely late 70's to 1989 for me. Way to many great horror films came out between those years. I'm not even going to start trying to list them.

I would say 1930's. For super-quality films like The Black Cat, Island of Lost Souls and Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde in addition to the universal classics like The Invisible Man etc. There is also Werewolf of London which preceded Universal's more critically acclaimed The Wolf Man by 6 years.

I nearly went for the 60s however because of the Poe-Price cycle like House of Usher and Pit and The Pendulum, Mario Bava's 60's films like Black Sunday and Black Sabbath, Peeping Tom etc.

Though my 2 top films of all time were in 74 and 85 respectively, and there are plenty of quality flicks during this period I still stand by my original decisions.

80's. I love the music of the time too.

Looks like everything except the 50s.  I feel bad for Ro-Man and the Killer Shrews.  lol