Topic: James Herbert (1943 - 2013)

James Herbert has passed away today, aged 69. It's a sad day for horror in general and far be it from me to write his obituary but today a massive part of my love for the genre died with him. Don't know if anyone else has ever read 'Rats' but the literary version of Herbert's 'The Fog' is an unforgetable experience. James Herbert was the first horror author I really invested any time in, I'm prolly in the same boat as a thousand other English boys in being shocked by the infamous P.E lesson scene fom 'The Fog'. It's a wonderful and terrifying short story.

All apologies if I'm putting this in the wrong section but James Herbert was an absolute horror legend.

The genre took a massive loss today.

R.I.P James Herbert.

Re: James Herbert (1943 - 2013)

OH MY GOD!

sad  This is such sad news!

I Can not believe this, He was one my favorite author

Rest in peach!

I am so shocked by this!

RIP, Mr. Herbert.

Honestly, I've never read any of his works, but I can respect his position as a very popular and well-liked author who served the horror community well with his books.

I still have "Haunted" by him sitting on my shelf collecting dust...I most definitely will have to read that at some point.

It always sucks to lose an important figure in horror, whether film ir literature. I haven't read any of his books yet, but he will added to the top of the list as long as I can get my hands on one of his books. Which si the best place to start?

RIP

So sad.

I had my first experience of Herbert when I was of the tender age of around 4-5 when I was learning to read. I would sit on the landing, where my mum kept her bookcase with Stephen King, Herbert and Koontz books. I would sit there reading the backs of all her books and I remember being thrilled and scared by Herbert's stories. I can say that if it wasn't for my mums love of Herbert along with King and Koontz I wouldn't have learnt to read as well as I could at that age and I don't think I'd be as thrilled by horror/thrillers as I am now.

Theli If you wikipedia him, you can get a list of his books in chronological order.

RIP.

I checked his wiki, I more meant which is the general consesus on which his best book is.

For me, 'The Fog' had a profound effect on me mate - and this was when I was about 13 years old - it's markedly different from Carpenter's flick, but it will stick in your craw forever. Trust me! big_smile

I'd go with 'The Fog'.

'Rats' is bloody terrifying too.

My mum claims "Rats" changed her life!

That sucks. I was just recommended his books to read. Shame that I didn't get to start them before he passed.

UltraViolence wrote:

So sad.

I had my first experience of Herbert when I was of the tender age of around 4-5 when I was learning to read. I would sit on the landing, where my mum kept her bookcase with Stephen King, Herbert and Koontz books. I would sit there reading the backs of all her books and I remember being thrilled and scared by Herbert's stories. I can say that if it wasn't for my mums love of Herbert along with King and Koontz I wouldn't have learnt to read as well as I could at that age and I don't think I'd be as thrilled by horror/thrillers as I am now.

Theli If you wikipedia him, you can get a list of his books in chronological order.

RIP.

UV - that's remakably similar to the house I grew up in - my mum used to be a real connosieur of Stephen King and a huge King fan so I too have fond memories of checking out her book case which was choc full of King, Herbert, Koontz and Barker novels. The titles alone were enough to scare me but when I got older I began picking them off the shelves and seeing the covers.  I was blown away. I started reading Herbert when I was maybe 9 or 10 as my mum's hardback King novels seemed rather intimidating so silly me, I thought I'd ease myself in by reading her paperback edition of 'Rats'!!! Bad move! Same goes with 'The Fog'!

Other than Roald Dahl, James Herbert had the second biggest literary influence on me as a youngster...

One year ago today, we lost one of the best horror writers of all time,  I am still shocked,  so tonight.

I will being seeing movie Haunted/ a watch  and I am buying one his books today!

Read the Fog last year, and loved it. He will be sorely missed.