Topic: Favorite Horror Video Game Series

I don't know many different video game horror series there are and thought it would be fun to see what everyone likes.  As for me, I'm a sucker for the Resident Evil games.  I have a GameCube and have played almost all of them except for the original and Code Veronica X and I didn't play the whole thing of RE4.  RE4 didn't impress me too much though, probably because I was such a big fan of the zombies and too much changed.  It was still an excellent game and from what I played, I did enjoy it overall.  I also like Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.  Those are really the only ones that I have played.

I have heard of a older computer game called Harvester.  I hear that is creepy as hell and is for older computers.  Has anyone played that?  If so, please let me know what you thought of it.

Re: Favorite Horror Video Game Series

The Resident Evil games are decent.

Then, Resident Evil 4 came out and just completely fucking blew my mind.  I've played video games since Atari and have played a fair amount of them over time, but the Gamecube version of that game is by FAR my favorite game of all time.  I got so good at part 4 that I actually played the entire game, start to finish, with 100% accuracy (using the 99 power magnum, granted, but still a geek accomplishment that I'm proud of).  I played the hell out of that game and then traded it in.  Once the new Nintendo system comes out, though, I'm going to buy it again, since it'll also play Gamecube stuff. 

...for the record, 100% accuracy opens no new secrets of any kind, sadly.

The Resident Evil series dominates the horror gaming genre in my opinion. It'll probablly stay that way unless Capcom decides to turn Dead Rising into a series of games. The Silent hill games are good as well and the Clock Tower games are pretty creepy too. BTW, Vorwald if you liked RE4, but missed the zombies then your going to love RE5. RE5 is keeping RE4's control and camera system and bringing back the zombies. It's gonna be kick ass.

I hadn't heard that!  Oh man...part 5 should be incredible...I hope they have a lot of extras, too, like the mercenaries mode.

...off to do some research on it smile

The Resident Evil series is known for having tons of unlockable extras, so no need to worry about that. Also, the mercenaries mini game was very popular in RE4 and RE3 so I'm almost positive that they'll be bringing it back for RE5.

ide have to say the RE series. i dont really know of any other exept silent hill and only the second silent hill was good. and dead rising is garbage

Vander wrote:

ide have to say the RE series. i dont really know of any other exept silent hill and only the second silent hill was good. and dead rising is garbage

I'd hardly call it garbage Vander. Aside from the save system and the fact that the game is so short, It's great.

For a couple of classic horror series' on the PC....I love and reccomend

1) The Alone in the Dark series  (Really just 1 and 3)
2) Gabriel Knight ( old adventure games...)
3) Shivers ( not that scary but pretty cool puzzle games with good spirit)
4) System Shock (awesome,awesome,awesome...if you have a pc and you like   horror....Get this game)

The SystemShock games are great. I posted some stuff about BioShock which is being developed by the same folks who made SystemShock2.

Bioshock should be fantastic....

There was also an old game on the dreamcast called D2 that I remember playing...Survival horror, in the frozen north, and lots of walking in snow....

BTW Vorwald....Man Harvester brings back memories...Played it and finished it many years ago...It was...different but cool....Neat twist to the story at the end...

Pretty fun but wierd....

I've never heard of D2, but I'll look into it.

A couple of others that spring to mind....

The parasite eve series that came out on PSX...
and

Anyone remember Splatterhouse or its 3 sequals???

The Parasite Eve series is a cool one and the Splatterhouse games are fun to play when your looking for a fun 2d side scroller to play.

I remember D2 on Dreamcast, but just barely.  I remember having to switch discs when I felt I was barely into the game.  I really don't remember much else, but I think it was really short.

Perhaps I am missing it, but to my amazment nobody has mentioned how much of a mind f*ck Silent Hill was : O

And what about Fatal Frame and Fatal Frame: Crimson Butterfly, both amazing and scary as crap!