Re: The Walking Dead (Season 3)

I'm kinda blah on the Gov.  Guess he just doesn't posses anything that makes him stand out as scary...know what I mean?  I mean, he's mean, driven, and gets people to follow him, but he also seems fairly weak as well?  Guess in a way that's good, cuz it makes him more real.  That part where he went with the others and shot up the prison, he just stood there in the open basically daring them to shoot him...was kinda hokey.  In the beginning I thought he was dorky, and now, more like Lon, I am coming around the accepting him as more of a true villain.  I too wanna see what made him the way he is, and get more of the story behind him. 

LoudLon wrote:

I want to know, clearly and plainly, why he's so dead-set on killing off other survivors who don't join his town, and why he insists that those who do join never leave.  I can't accept that it's something as arbitrary as simply not liking others in his backyard, like he told Rick at their little summit, or that he's just "evil."

Yes, and why he seems to not even give some the chance to join at all?

I feel like Andrea betrayed her group.  Part of why I get.  She's really hot though.

I love Michon.

I miss Shane...in a macho guy way.  smile  Still my favorite character and yes I know I need to let it go.

I'm the same way, man.  Loved Shane, and now here we are almost one full season later and I still think she show has yet to recover from his loss.  Not that this season has been bad, it's still better than 95% of other shows on TV right now, but without Shane there to call Rick out and question his logic (Hershell does, sometimes, but he always ends up deferring to Rick regardless) then a lot of the interpersonal conflict which made the show truly exeptional seems to be missing. hmm

Yeah, and I know I'm a broken record here, the tension and drama with Shane was unmatched IMHO with anything I have ever seen with the exception of possibly The Shield.

Still, Shane's character himself I thought was great.  I know he went wacko, but still, if it goes down, who wouldn't want him on their side?

So its the tension, but in addition I keep thinking how much of a benefit it would be for him to be there now.  I really gotta let this go though.

@Lon-
Wouldn't be fun if we always agreed on stuff, would it, SharkMaster? big_smile

*** Spoilers below if you are not caught up ***

About the Guv'ner- He said something about him being an office worker under some dick of a supervisor during the meeting with Rick.  He seemed quite pissed at that situation.  Now that he has a position of power, he doesn't want to let it go.  The soldiers would have been a strong threat if he brought them in, whereas the 4 from the prison are nobodies. 
So, I don't think he is just blood-hungry, he's protecting his turf.  Since Rick and his group is strong, their mere presence is a threat.  Otherwise, why not just take the ceasefire with the river boundary? 

As for Shane-  Yes, he really added to the group dynamic.  If the writers had toned down his obsession with Lori a notch (or 4), he could still be around causing some low-grade dissention.  I think someone said that in the comics he hung around for longer.  If so, killing him off early was one of the mistakes that the TV show writers made.  That, and not having a monkey in the group!

^^^
Interesting.

Everyone should have a monkey everywhere. I have a monkey cat. lol

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-03-22 02:11:33)

Azzy -- eh, I think we've been buddies long enough that we can disagree and not take it personally, you rotten bastard. big_smile

Incidentally -- I've not read the comics but have been told Shane's actually killed off very early on in the series.  Couldn't say for sure, though.

Anyway, as for the Governor...notice during their meeting how the Governor's attitude changed from scene to scene?  It was like he was testing out various approaches to see which would get a reaction out of Rick.  He fed Rick a lot of lines and gave him a lot of reasons explaining his position, but I don't think a single one of them was true.  I think the only truth that came out of his mouth was the story about his wife and how he wants Michonne dead. Otherwise, I think he's still yet to divulge is true motivations.  And like I said, it can't be simply a matter of safety because if it was, he would have agreed to Rick's proposed boundaries and each minding their own business.  No; there's something missing, something we haven't been told about the Governor yet, and I'm certain it involves his true reasons for wanting everybody not in his group dead.

^^
Do you watching the Talking Dead episodes?  On the Talking episode after the meeting epi, she was on and said the same thing as you about switching tactics.  I actually thought the wife one was BS and the office one resonated more with me.  But there could be another layer to him as to why he is SlaughterGuv the OneEyed.

Rotten bastard, eh?  I'll raise you a stinky yak!  Mwahahahahaha!

edit- I have the comics, but I've intentionally not read them.  It's in that movie/book vein, and since I started watching before I knew about the comics, I'm not going to spoil it now.  I don't even know if the comics are still being written or not.  If not, would someone let me know when the show goes past the comic, so I can go read them, please.  big_smile

Last edited by azathoth (2013-03-22 04:40:19)

Lon I think it's the same mentality as most other cult leaders. They just want to control something. The gov has lost everything including control over his own life and situation. He took it back while controlling others. Dictating what people did and when they did it. His followers look up to him the same way as Mansons "family" did everything for him. Those in he will protect aslong as they hand themselves over to be controlled and do everything that he says but those who don't have to die to protect himself while using the excuse he's just protecting his people. I think his character is interesting and I like how we know so little. It gives him that air of mystery but makes you think what is so much worse than we've seen him go through that he won't take about and it personally makes me think the worst!

azathoth wrote:

^^
Do you watching the Talking Dead episodes?  On the Talking episode after the meeting epi, she was on and said the same thing as you about switching tactics.  I actually thought the wife one was BS and the office one resonated more with me.  But there could be another layer to him as to why he is SlaughterGuv the OneEyed.

Rotten bastard, eh?  I'll raise you a stinky yak!  Mwahahahahaha!

edit- I have the comics, but I've intentionally not read them.  It's in that movie/book vein, and since I started watching before I knew about the comics, I'm not going to spoil it now.  I don't even know if the comics are still being written or not.  If not, would someone let me know when the show goes past the comic, so I can go read them, please.  big_smile

They're still going. The comics are not at all the same other than a few characters are the same and a few events take place in both. The comics are far more out there brutal in the storyline, things that you wouldn't get away with on mainstream Tv.

Just saw that Lauren Cohan (Maggie) is going to be a guest star on Law & Order: SVU next week.

UltraViolence wrote:

Lon I think it's the same mentality as most other cult leaders. They just want to control something. The gov has lost everything including control over his own life and situation. He took it back while controlling others. Dictating what people did and when they did it. His followers look up to him the same way as Mansons "family" did everything for him. Those in he will protect aslong as they hand themselves over to be controlled and do everything that he says but those who don't have to die to protect himself while using the excuse he's just protecting his people. I think his character is interesting and I like how we know so little. It gives him that air of mystery but makes you think what is so much worse than we've seen him go through that he won't take about and it personally makes me think the worst!

Very well explained ultraviolet!!! yes it Is all about control. A fascinating subject for horror wink

I get he wants control, I get the parallels to Manson and Jim Jones and all that, but that's all external, surface stuff.  WHY does he want complete control?  WHY has he chosen to lie about his motivations?  We know why Andrea didn't see the Governor for what he was early on, because of her desperate need for something normal; we know why Rick is having trouble getting over the deaths of Shane and Lori and why he said no to Tyreese and his gang joining their group, because he feels responsible for Lori and Shane and felt he couldn't take on more people because he felt he wouldn't be able to protect them; we know why there was tension between Glen and Maggie after the near-rape, because Glen felt emasculated that he couldn't protect her and that maybe she'd been "soiled" and wasn't the same Maggie he loved.  But we still don't know why, really, certainly why, The Governor is a murdering, lying scum-bag.  Know what I mean?

That was just my interpretation smile All might become clear in the next 2 eps. I get what you mean though, he hasn't had much told about his background but I like making guesses and working it out.

Gasp!

That's all I'm saying.  Hell, it's all I can say right now. lol

^^
Yep.  Whoa, what a turn-around.  I never thought THAT would happen.

edit- The Talking Dead episode was also great.  There was a nice comment from the guy running it to the guests- "You would make the most interesting band I've ever seen."  lol

Last edited by azathoth (2013-03-25 09:10:11)

Forgot to watch Talking Dead.  Thanks for the reminder, off to DL now. smile

^^
Silly sub-monkey, tongue.  I think you'll enjoy.  And, Rooker is jamming the jaunty hat with style!

FYI -- do not visit www.comicbookmovie.com if you haven't seen last night's episode yet! They spoil the entire episode on the main page.  There's a huge debate going on there right now because of that and the site's admin is catching all kinds of heat from the regs (myself included lol).  I'm just glad I saw the episode last night before visiting the CBM or I'd be MUCH more pissed off. 

So here's a polite little reminder to those of who watch the show -- if you're going to discuss it before others have seen it, please be vague or post a SPOILER WARNING (here's a simple little trick I like to use to make spoilers invisible).

Last edited by LoudLon (2013-03-25 11:21:50)

The world has zombies.  Is that vague enough?  tongue

Monkey dance, monkey dance....

I LOVED last nights epi so much I just gotta watch it again!!! The acting on this show is Spectacular WOOT!!

^^
I think she's enthused.  lol
She may like zombies, I'm not sure.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2452/3547065215_3b175f070e_z.jpg?zz=1

The part that really got me was...

SPOILER WARNING (left click and drag below to read):

The fight between The Governor and Merle.  I figured out when he had a change of heart "Yup, Merle's about to get whacked" because that seems to be the way the show operates -- give someone a tender, heartfelt moment then rub 'em out -- but the fight was brutal as hell.  The Gov bit his fuckin' fingers off!  That's some hardcore "Deadbeat at Dawn" shit right there, man.  But at least ol' Merle went down fighting.

Oh!  And did anyone catch the Dawn of the Dead homage with the red-flannel zombie?  Thought that was pretty cool.

END SPOILER

Anyway, man, what a great episode.  I loved how Michonne kept her cool the whole time, too.  Chick's got bigger balls than I do. lol

Last edited by LoudLon (2013-03-25 17:05:23)

I need some revenge on this show!!!!!

Man, if they pull a...

*** SPOILER ***

Joffrey from Game of Thrones, and let the freaking Gov live another season I'll lose my mind!

*** END SPOILER ***

Yeah, Michone is cool as hell.  Becoming one of my favorites.

Lon - I can't believe you go to other Forums!  I feel so betrayed and dirty right now.  smile

It's a comic book and comic book movie site.  TWD is based on a comic book, so...  tongue

I do visit other horror boards from time to time but HM is the only one I'm an active, regular member of. smile

As for the Gov, my understanding is that he's a recurring character in the comic, and that he's basically a whack job from his very first appearance, whereas in the show they start him off relatively sane and then gradually have him go kookoo.  At any rate, now that I've warmed up to the character on the show and have started picking up the little nuances David Morrissey's been incorporating, I wouldn't mind if he stayed around another season or two.

Speaking of Morrissey, I forget if it was here or on that comic book site where someone said Morrissey's American accent is lame and unconvincing, but the dude sounds like genuine southerner to me.  He's got the drawl down pat.  Like Andrew Lincoln and Lauren Cohan (Maggie) I had no idea Morrissey was English until I read it online.  Well, actually Cohan was born in the states but moved to the UK while still young and in real life speaks with an English accent.  I don't know who the voice coach is on the show but they're doing an amazing job!

^ So, it sounds like you're saying I should prepare to lose my mind.