Topic: Horror films of Actors/ A ctresses Not Usually Known For Horror 9/10

Hello again Girls and ghouls and here we go with number nine in the series

9. ROD STEIGER

another acclaimed actor who found himself making films in our beloved genre towards the end of his career and he was more famous for some classic films such as On The Waterfront. The Pawnbroker, In The Heat Of The Night, Al Capone, and one of my favourites No Way To treat  A Lady amongst many others. he did to say the least in his horror films tend to be overblown and ham it up most of the time and as you will  see the films were very varied but here we go in the usual Chronological order.

1. THE AMITYVILLE HORROR ( 1979)
I don't think i have to go over the plot of this film with you people, i'm sure you're all aware of it, but i will say i prefer the remake but this does have it's moments and Rod Steiger plays father Delaney who goes to bless the house but  finds himself not welcomed by the evil force that inhabits the house and is covered in flies and told to " get Out" by a demonic voice in the film's most effective scene and is finally struck blind.

2. The KINDRED ( 1987) i quite like this little cheap " B Movie" that at least tries to be different but doesn't always come off. A dying mother warns her son on her deathbed to destroy her notes for an experiment she was carrying out and reveals to him he has a brother.At his mother's funeral he meets a woman who claims to admire his mother's work and he goes to his mothers house with a group of friends but they discover a sinister secret and find themselves in peril from something in the house and from within the group.Rod Steiger plays dr Phillip LLoyd who knows about what's going on but obviously doesn't tell and he goes over the top steadily along the way especially at the climax where he meets the slithering monster and he is saddled with one of the most obvious and silly looking hairpieces ever. not a bad film, but not particularly good ethier.

3. AMERCIAN GOTHIC ( 1988)
This has a familar plot, a group of friends go for a weekend away in the backwoods but have engine trouble and go to a mansion for help and shelter where they find themselves at the mercy of a weird family, who have "Children" who in fact are in their fifties and psychopathic and the parents aren't far behind them. Rod Steiger plays Pa the head of the weird family and both underplays it and overblows the acting at times. i do not rate this film highly, i found it silly and predictable and plodding and the "Kids" tiresome mainly because one of them is played by Michael J Pollard, one of my least favourite actors and a "One Note" actor if  ever there was one, who came to fame in "Bonnie And Clyde " ( 1968) and just rehashed the part in pretty much everything else he did. Still there are deaths by neck breaking,axe, pitchfork, hatpin and Knitting Needle and just because i don't like it that much doesn't mean to say you won't.

4. MARS ATTACKS ( 1996)
Again i'm not going to go into the plot of this enjoyable star studded science fiction/ comedy romp from Tim Burton based on the cult 1950's bubble gum cards. I like this film, the aliens are lovably evil and most of the cast ham it up. Rod Steiger gives one of his grumpy performances as general Decklin a " War mongerer" who warns the aliens are deceitful and hostile and want to take over the earth and turns out to be right, he also gets shrunk  for his troubles.

5. END OF DAYS (1999) To me this is among Arnold Swarzeneggers better films and certainly one of his best performances. he plays a depressed, sucidial ex cop now running a protection business who finds himself having to protect a young woman from becoming the bride of the devil himself and bringing on the Apocalypse in the year of 1999. This is a change of pace and a chance for Arnie to show his acting chops which he does compentley. Some goods scenes amongst a few silly ones as well, and i like the ending. Rod Steiger doesn't have a big role in this film but he plays a priest once again, this time called father Kovak who gets to explain the plot of the film to Arnold's character and gets to reveal the surprise revelation that 999 is really 666 upside down ! ??. a good little film cashing in on the fuss of the time of being the end of the century.
there we have it folks, as usual feel free to make any comments, observations , criticisms etc and watch out for the final entry of the series! who said hoooo rrraaayyy!? come on own up" smile

Re: Horror films of Actors/ A ctresses Not Usually Known For Horror 9/10

Those are some great movies Wolfie!  I loved American Gothic.  What a strange little movie it is!  Rod Steiger and the lovely Yvonne De Carlo (better known as Lily Munster) are so good in it! 

Did you already do a list with Ernest Borgnine?  I can't remember...  He did some excellent Horror movies the latter part of his career.

DirtyGirl wrote:

Those are some great movies Wolfie!  I loved American Gothic.  What a strange little movie it is!  Rod Steiger and the lovely Yvonne De Carlo (better known as Lily Munster) are so good in it! 

Did you already do a list with Ernest Borgnine?  I can't remember...  He did some excellent Horror movies the latter part of his career.

Hi mary! yes i did Ernest Borgnine. he was number 5 or 6 i think smile

I've been a fan of Steiger's since the first time I saw In the Heat of the Night.  Great actor, wasn't afraid to ham it up or chow down on the scenery.  Of all the flicks listed I think I liked him best as the McCarthy-esque general in Mars Attacks, one of those aforementioned "ham it up" roles. 

Looking forward to seeing who #10 is, wolfie. smile

Some good movies in this list, I loved the original Amityville Horror. Mars Attacks and End of Days are fun movies too.

The Kindred is nice little film. Saw it recently. It needs a good DVD/Bluray release.