Topic: Posting SPOILER WARNINGS

I'm a regular over at a site called www.comicbookmovies.com and there is a massive debate going on there now due to the site spoiling the most recent episode of The Walking Dead on its main page for all to see.  So it got me thinking about our little site here and the fact that while most of us get The Walking Dead on Sunday nights, there are regs in other countries who don't get it until later in the week.

So I thought I'd share a little trick for posting spoilers which makes them invisible at first glance.  I've explained how to do so a few times in the past but I figure what the hell, with as many movies and TV shows as we discuss here, maybe I should make it an official sticky post. 

In order to make a spoiler invisible, all it takes is changing the color of your text to match the color of the message field.   In our case, the message field is black.  Changing your text color to black is as simple as using the following code:

[color=black]Your text here[/color]

This will leave your message invisible to the public.  Personally I like to announce the beginning and end of a spoiler, like this:

SPOILER ALERT (left click and drag below to read):

Text here.

END SPOILER

How this looks in code:

SPOILER ALERT (left click and drag below to read):

[color=black]Text here.[/color]

END SPOILER

Pretty simple.  Personally I prefer using this method because even when someone posts SPOILER, there's a chance of accidentally catching glimpse as you attempt to scroll past it.  So I just make mine invisible to avoid that happening altogether.

So there you have it.  There's no rule saying you have to make your spoiler invisible but if you choose to do so, now you know how.
smile

PS -- this only works on text.  It does not work on smilies or images.

Re: Posting SPOILER WARNINGS

To clarify what Lon said, if he doesn't mind, keep in mind that with TV shows, we have people in several different countries that don't show the episodes at the same time, day, or ever week.

Lon & I even black out stuff for Justified, even though only 3 people watch the show (that I know of), since we have odd schedules.

Basically, don't assume that everybody knows something about a show/movie that has been out for a week or a month.  Yes, it can be annoying, but think how annoyed you'd be if someone told you that the Chucacabra was just a prank by monkeys... oh, shit.

Oh, and by the way, use this trick responsibly.  Don't go trying to be all sneaky posting invisible sicko/pervo/pedo bullshit and thinking you can get away with it, because past experience on other boards where members used this trick taught me to ALWAYS left-click and drag when I see empty black space where they shouldn't be. wink

^^
Yep, they will get the Spam Hammer, and then the Ban Hammer.  big_smile

Which reminds me, I've been meaning to make a Ban Hammer gif.  I'm thinking an animation of Thor smacking his hammer on the ground.   I've already made a few gifs to use if I have to "kick" anyone...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/loudlon/Animated/Modding%20gifs/Kicked3_zps3bc758a6.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/loudlon/Animated/Modding%20gifs/Kicked_zpsdd27fff9.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/loudlon/Animated/Modding%20gifs/Kicked2_zpsb8114513.gif

And just like that, I've sidetracked my own topic. lol

Very well said Lon.

And great GIF big_smile

This has nothing to do with your "hammer" idea, except it has Hammer-

http://legacy-cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/082010/sw-hammer.gif

This one isn't bad, though (what does MC have to show up in any pic with "hammer" in it?)

http://gifs8.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/img6061.gif

This one isn't bad-

http://ilechoo.com/gallery/albums/gifs/banhammer_1.gif

This one is cute-

http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/460477/hammer-to-house.gif

Good one, but needs some text added-

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-c6_kM_dPyCI/T9v4kDw80TI/AAAAAAAACZU/1_bGPg1_d10/s1600/Monkey_cymbal.gif

Last edited by azathoth (2013-03-25 13:52:22)

^^^

Dayum! Is the guy in your second gif detonating unexploded land mines with a sledgehammer? That takes balls of steel! And a subnormal IQ level! big_smile

^^
Actually, it's an annual festival somewhere in Mexico.  They make home made bomb-like things, and then blow them up by hitting them.  For fun.

Read more about it here (first story).

Alright sir. Got it Loud[Lon] and clear.

What dya think??? Damn, that I'm foolish??? Well yes I am.
lol
Awesome GIF collection guys.
I LOVE THE LITTLE GIRL!!!

Punk!  My man!  You got it down. *thumbs up*

Question...

What is the easiest way to change the text color?  Do you have to actually type in - Your text here - Every time you wanna do it?

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2013-03-31 23:35:40)

Yes, but only when you want to change it to something other than the default white.  If for instance you were to change only a certain part of your text to red, then after you end it with /color in brackets your text goes back to white.  But to change it to any other color, yes, you have to do the color=whatever and /color in brackets each time.

EDIT -- y'know, as I think about it, I wonder if Meh would be able to set up a SPOILER button that you could click which automatically changes text color to black?  I'll have to drop him a line...

That would be a cool button especially for this site, as it is very relevant.

I'm avoiding The Walking Dead Thread right now till I see the finale.  I suspect there's spoilers.

There was one kinda/sorta spoiler.  It was vague, but not so vague that it couldn't be easily figured out.  I considered going nuclear but it was a newbie so I let it slide. lol

Incidentally, I just did a google search for "bbcode spoiler button" and it does exist, we just don't have it here.  It's pretty cool, actually; with the spoiler code all you see is a little tag in the post itself which reads "show spoiler".  Click it and presto, there it is. 

Check it out: http://forums.allkpop.com/threads/add-a … ton.25253/

That's what we need.

Yeah saw that on a site I was going before finding that marvellous cool place that HM is. That's nice.

Most of the time in my post, I just don't care as most of the time it's just a line or an action. There's still much more in the movie that isn't spoiled.

OR I do like I just did in the Maistream last seen thread.

Spoilers begins.

He will fuck your mom.

Spoilers end.

I warned you, your problem if you read it. lol

But when I KNOW it's a big one I black it out.

Cool though, BLACK RULES!!! Hahaha

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-03-31 23:55:57)

It might be in bad taste-I can't see MYSELF doing it-but I don't think it should be absolutely forbidden-maybe after the same person has done it 12 times, if then.

^^
Someone would have to be rather egregious to get banned for dumping spoilers on the forum.  I just do it out of courtesy; I'll use ***Spoilers*** in the Justified thread, even though all of about 2 people post (me & Lon), and I think maybe 2 others read it.

Speaking of which, I need to watch last week's Justified.

Yes, you do!

I try not to give out spoilers, but sometimes it's almost hard not to, especially when you're talking about a movie that's 20, 30 or 40 years old. You sort of assume, if someone hasn't watched this movie yet, odds are they never will. How much time needs to pass before a spoiler can be discussed openly? Here are some examples that would seem ridiculous to still hide:

Darth Vader is Luke's father

The chick in the crying game is a man

Bruce Willis is dead in sixth sense

Rosebud is a sled

Kevin Spacey is Kaiser Soze

Maggie shot Mr. Burns

These are all definite spoilers, but the movies are so old, and so ubiquitous that knowing them is almost a part of pop culture. But I'm sure there are some people out there who haven't heard them, or have yet to see the movie. So what's the proper netiquette for old movies? And how long should a movie be out before being to openly discuss spoilers?

The way I see it is if it's a movie or show that's been out for more than five years, it's fair game.

Seems more than fair. I'd still be hesitant to discuss a movie in graphic detail if it's one of those flicks I know that not a lot of people are familiar with.

Personally, I've never really cared if people spoil a movie for me (at least horror movies). There's only so many endings a flick can have.

I don't mind a movie being spoiled it's gets me to want to watch the move. Most of us re-watch the same old movies over and over. If someone hadn't spoiled cabin in the woods idk if I would of ever seen that movie.

mike3881 wrote:

I don't mind a movie being spoiled it's gets me to want to watch the move. Most of us re-watch the same old movies over and over. If someone hadn't spoiled cabin in the woods idk if I would of ever seen that movie.

I didnt' know much about Cabin in the Woods when I first watched it. And I thought it was pretty good. It wasn't till I watched it a second time, when I already knew what was going to happen, that I fell in love with it.

^^
For HM, I think it's about 1 year from theatrical release, since some people won't see it until it hits Netflix, Redbox, etc.

After that it's fair game, unless you're talking about a rather obscure film that most haven't seen.  Say, the ending of Noroi: The Curse, for example.