Re: Last Documentary You Watched?

Bill Hicks: It's Just A Ride

8/10

Jimi Hendrix BBC sessions documentary.
7.5/10

Tool: The Ultimate Review - 8/10

On YouTube in full length, if anyone is interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKndmviQRQE

I don't think I'll be checking out your full-length tool any time soon, Creech, thanks.

LoudLon wrote:

I don't think I'll be checking out your full-length tool any time soon, Creech, thanks.

Gah! Always leaving me...hangin'. tongue

That's alright though. My full-length tool can always be easily found in the Pictures thread for anyone who's interested.
Just kidding.

^^^ Thank God. lol

^^^
Mwahahaha lol

I will though, I'm a Tool fan since their start.

WHY WE FIGHT 2006

Very cool one about the military in the US.
7/10

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-02-26 00:53:15)

Pumping Iron II: The Women (1985).

Been quite a while since I'd seen this and forgot how much more fascinating it is than the original Pumping Iron, which focused on male bodybuilding.  At the time in the then still-burgeoning sport of female bodybuilding, there was a lot of disagreement on what constituted "femininity."  Most folks held firm that it was when a woman looked athletic but not too muscular.  Others opined that no matter how much muscle a woman packed on, as long as it was aesthetic and symmetrical, it could still be considered feminine. 

The doc focuses on four particular female bodybuilders -- the svelt and lean Rachel McLish, the graceful and supple Carla Dunlap, underdog Lori Bowen and former power lifter turned bodybuilder and easily the most heavily muscled and cut woman in the compeition, Bev Francis.  It seems as though the filmmakers were attempting to manipulate a Schwarzenegger/Ferrigno scenario between McLish and Bowen, who idolized McLish and cited her as her reason for getting into the sport.  But the main thrust becomes the argument of feminity and the studied, drastic differences between the very feminine McLish and the "man-like" Francis. 

What's so interesting about all this is that even the judges themselves can't agree on a definition of "femininity."  While one male judge seems staunchly in support of Francis and a woman bodybuilder's right to build herself to massive proportions, a more reserved lady judge all but calls Francis a grotesque freak who has no business being in the sport.

Anyway, as you can see from my rambling, this really is a very interesting documentary.  Like the original Pumping Iron there are a number of staged scenes and certain conflicts are created through editing than likely actually occurred in real life.  But there are also a number of candid, character-revealing moments to be found, such as Dunlap cheering Francis on from behind the stage during Francis' posing routine, or Francis herself performing a humorous rendition of the  bouncy, strip tease-like posing routines her more dainty counterparts employ during competitions.

Good doc.  Even if you're not into female bodybuilding, or even bodybuilding in general, there's a lot of interesting stuff here.

Comic Book Superheroes Unmasked (2003).  About the history of comic books.  I was hoping for more detail but it's merely sporadically interesting.

Some thing about USA's 50th state the BEAUTIFUL Hawaii. Man, I wanna live there for the rest of my life. They're influenced a lot by Samoans I've seen.

The Perfect Scary Movie (2007).  UK doc about the history of horror films which attempts -- but fails -- to set a list of criteria for what makes a perfect horror film.  I say "fails" because there is no such thing as a perfect horror film, or a perfect film, period.  A couple interesting tidbits here and there but nothing really in-depth, and nothing you haven't already seen in a dozen other "history of horror" docs.  5/10.

LoudLon wrote:

I say "fails" because there is no such thing as a perfect horror film, or a perfect film, period.

Maybe for you but to me Evil Dead 1981 is just that... PERFECT. Hey yeah, I know, I'm easy to please and don't bother with the stuff I like less. lol

Sound City

^^^ I DLed that last week but haven't got around to watching it yet.  Saw David Grohl pimping it on The Colbert Report a couple months back.

The Pink Floyd & Syd Barrett Story

8/10

Room 237, a documentary on Kubrick's The Shining.  Well, not really a documentary so much as a pure opinion piece, featuring different takes on the film from a handful of super-fans.  There are a few interesting little tidbits that I'd never noticed before; the TV Danny watches doesn't have a power chord, and there are certain dissolves which imply double-meaning to certain images, and a few other things.  But mostly the doc is about the numerous conspiracy theories these super-fans have read into it.  LOTS of crazy talk here which, despite being completely circumstantial or coincidental, is nevertheless entertaining in a "man, these people are insane" kind of way. 

But what makes the doc truly bizarre is that we never once see the people being interviewed; instead the filmmaker uses snippets from other non-related films as dramatic re-enactments.  For instance, one speaker talks about how he parked in a parking garage at the theater where he saw the film, and it's laid over an image of Robert Redford entering a parking garage in All the President's Men, or another guy's talking about sitting down in the theater and it's laid over images from the Lamberto Bava flick Demons of characters sitting in a movie theater.  And there's a LOT of Eyes Wide Shut footage, none of which has anything to do with what's being said when it's shown.

It's an odd viewing experience to be sure.

David Suzuki's The Nature Of Things

An episode that talks about the very cool racoons. Love these guys and they're very wise but man, so destructive.

They showed that city racoons, survived longer than nature ones and it was fun to see a bunch they followed in Toronto. These guys are incrediblu agile.

Extremely cool little things.
And cute as mad. smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-04-21 19:03:13)

Cropsey - On Netflix IW - Amazing documentary about a rash of abductions and the mystery surrounding them. Really well done but sad as well.

I Survived B.T.K. - Also on Netflix IW - Really informative Docu about the B.T.K. Serial Killer. Warning though, it shows crime scene photos from his victims. Not for soft stomachs.

Nature Of Things talks about Darwin today and it's extremely entertaining and makes me learn more about the nature's master that I love. Read a few of his things and his view passionates me.

Bully

Carl Sagan Cosmos episode 5. 10/10

Bowling For Columbine...so powerful, I love Michael Moore's style

Behind the Mask: The Story of the Phantom of the Opera

OldLaughingLady wrote:

Bully

I saw this a little while back on NIW. Every parent with young children should watch this.

That Guy... Who Was in That Thing