Topic: Your Favorite Horror Remake?!?!

With another remake coming out this friday, Evil Dead, which remake has been your favorite so far? My favorite by far has been The Amityville Horror (2005). Some remakes include: Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm St., The Fog, The Crazies, The Thing(Horrible), Hills Have Eyes, Psycho, Piranha,   Dawn of The Dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Multiple Times), Wicker Man, My Bloddy Valentine, The Omen, Prom Night, 13 Ghosts, the Haunting, When a Stranger Calls, Black Christmas, Shutter, and MANY MORE!

Which One Has Been Your Favorite?

This is my first post btw!!!!!

Re: Your Favorite Horror Remake?!?!

David Cronenberg's The Fly, for sure.

Welcome aboard nickjordan11.
You might want to go in the Introduce thread right here:
http://www.horror-movies.ca/Forum/viewt … 68#p651268

As for remakes here are mine and I like them much more than the originals:
1- I Spit On Your Grave
2- The Hills Have Eyes
3- The Amityville Horror
4- Piranha

But Evil Dead is DEFINITELY be on top of my list in 5 days. big_smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-04-01 20:09:57)

Hi Nick.

I can go with Hills Have Eyes, the Fly, and My Bloody Valentine.

Besides them, I've found the originals to be better, so I can't really "like" the other remakes.

It's a personal thing.

Hopefully Groovy Bruce and Raimi wil slap you in the face with Evil Dead my monkey mate. lol

Favorite remakes have to be
I Spit On Your Grave
Shutter
Hills Have Eyes

smile

Oh forgot about SHUTTER.

But the worst is that I forgot MY ALL TIMES FAVORITE HORROR MOVIE with Evil Dead and Horror Hotel, damn, I need another brain. lol

My nice wife plays in it, the lovely sexy Samara.

THE RING american...

Still can't believe I forgot. Thanks vomitdoll for throwing Shutter in my face. smile

kXnPunk wrote:

Hopefully Groovy Bruce and Raimi wil slap you in the face with Evil Dead my monkey mate. lol

I would gladly accept a bitch slap for the new ED.  I'll take a slap from each character, plus Ted and Rob.

^^^
Just got Groovy Bruce on the phone and he says he accepts having a monkey in the movie. He told me he can easily do that in 5 days, damn, he's Ash but we'll have to give him a truckload of bananas for the ape so I think you'll be ok with it. Just take care of the bananas will you??? I'm pretty sure it's easy for you. lol

More than original? Not many:

Hills Have Eyes - Original was gritty, but horribly acted and poorly directed

That I liked/loved, being a huge fan of the original:

TCM
Dawn Of The Dead
Night Of The Living Dead '90
ISOYG
Last House on the Left (even tho the ending fell short)
Amittyville Horror...

Honestly, it'd be easier to name the remakes I hated:

Shutter - The original Thai flick was brilliant. The remake was shit.
Wicker Man - The original sucked. The remake sucked equally.
Friday The 13th - Original is a timeless classic. Remake had a great set of tits... that is all.
Halloween - Original is awesome. Remake is just another pile of turd from Talentless Zombie.

Initially I was set against remakes, but honestly, most of them have turned out great. So know, I always go in with an open mind, hoping to be impressed. Can't wait to see Evil Dead.

Apart from the obvious eg The Fly, The Thing...

I spit on your grave. It was brutal, exactly what I wanted from a rape revenge movie.
Dawn of the dead. I love the original but the remake was what braught my to become the horror fan I am now.
The Crazies. I own it on Bluray and that means I have to really like something to spend that much money on it.

Some I liked but didn't love... Last House on the left.
Amytiville horror.
The grudge
The Ring.

Some I hated.

Hills have eyes, I know I'm probably the only person here who preferred the original. I found the remake gratuitous without the need to be. The ridiculous scenes involving babies with guns to their heads and masturbation were ott and I would have preferred the scenes to have been less so. The originals are great, not perfect but they didn't need all the over the top violence to do it for me. And I'm not a square or a prude at all so I'm not usually offended by sexual violence.
Mirrors
Halloween. I don't like the original (shoot me) but Zombie's remake was again, over the top and gratuitous.
Friday 13th.

^^
That reminds me, I dislike the US remakes of foreign horror- Ring, Grudge, Mirrors, Pulse, etc.

If it counts, The Thing, if it doesn't, The Fly.

Remakes I've enjoyed:

The Fly '86 *
The Blob '88*
Dawn of the Dead '04
Halloween '07
The Hills Have Eyes '06 *
House on Haunted Hill '99 *
My Bloody Valentine '09 *
Let Me In
Thirteen Ghosts '01 *
Invasion of the Body Snatchers '78 *
Night of the Living Dead '89
Cat People '82
Quarantine
Toolbox Murders '04

* = liked better than the original

Theli -- personally I don't consider The Thing '82 an actual remake; just one of two films based on the same short story.  Though JC's version is definitely the far superior of the two, IMO.

Mother's Day was an improvement on the original.
Dawn of the Dead (2004) was a total blast - although I don't even compare it to the original - which is just how it should be viewed.

^^^ Same here re: Dawn of the Dead '04.  Compared to the original it's an empty, even vapid flick.  But on its own terms as an action/horror flick, it's actually quite good.  I was in an uproar when I first heard of the remake (even went so far as to email Universal a VERY scathing hate mail lol ) because Dawn is my all-time favorite film, horror or not.  Then the USA Channel here in the states showed the first ten minutes as a sneak peak a couple weeks before the film came out, and based on those first ten minutes, I changed my tune.  It really does have a fantastic opening sequence.

I like the Dawn of the Dead remake ALMOST as much as the original. It's a little silly at times, but like you said as an action/horror movie it's top notch. I consider the first movie to really bring back the zombie craze. That said I always like Day and Night more than Dawn of the Dead.

I thought the My Bloody Valentine remake was better than the original, but I also saw it before seeing the original, and it was the first 3D movie I had seen, so that may play into it.

A lot of the remakes I have seen I enjoyed, though rarely as much as the original. I'm not one to judge a movie before I see it.

Last edited by Theli (2013-04-02 13:44:13)

It a toss-up between ISOYG and The Hills Have Eyes.

LoudLon wrote:

^^^ Same here re: Dawn of the Dead '04.  Compared to the original it's an empty, even vapid flick.  But on its own terms as an action/horror flick, it's actually quite good.  I was in an uproar when I first heard of the remake (even went so far as to email Universal a VERY scathing hate mail lol ) because Dawn is my all-time favorite film, horror or not.  Then the USA Channel here in the states showed the first ten minutes as a sneak peak a couple weeks before the film came out, and based on those first ten minutes, I changed my tune.  It really does have a fantastic opening sequence.

Haha, great minds think alike, I was loathe to watch the remake, in fact I put it off for a few years cos I was expecting some sort of slavish MTV style reboot but from the very first few minutes it was obvious this was taking a more popcorn approach, the little girl next door biting the hard-working hubby's neck and the intro alone, replete with car crashes galore and blistering cinematography was enough to convince me that it wasn't even attempting to emulate the socio political satire of Romero's original film. And by this point we hadn't even heard the first few bars of Johnny Cash's 'When The Man Comes Around' intro theme which works so perfectly in such a context. BEST CHOICE OF MUSIC... EVER!!!

The remake is just a great horror actioner, take away the title and it's a nigh on perfect ninety minute long modern zombie film.

@Theli - I completely concur that My Bloody Valentine 3D is better than the original too, it's far less boring for 1 thing, has better pacing and even ups the gore ante, which was the only thing the turgid original had going for it in the first place so yeah, good call on MBV being superior. I totally agree.

Oops, forgot to red-dot MBV '09 in my list.  I also thought it was a better, more fun flick and the 3D gore in the theater was outstanding.  Not a big fan of writer Todd Farmer and his need to include himself nude in every film he writes, but his fat bald ass aside, this was a fun little throwback to 80s slashers.  And what can I say?  I dig Jensen Ackles.  In a platonic, man-crush kind of way. lol

Hahah hate mail to Universal. Hope you let them have it.

I was skeptical at first but then caught a behind the scenes look on MTV when I watched that movie show hosted by Alex Zane (bit of a tool, but anyway). I think it's a great flick, but it always loses me around the point with the big group and the stupid baby drama.

My vote goes for The Ring. I just remember not being too impressed with Ringu, but that's due for another viewing.

And a few more that are already listed here.

The Grudge is scarier than Ju-On.

Does Universal's Dracula count as a remake of Nosferatu? If so, that's my next pick.

azathoth wrote:

^^
That reminds me, I dislike the US remakes of foreign horror- Ring, Grudge, Mirrors, Pulse, etc.

Well not me. I like everyone in your list WAY much more than the asian.
Sue me.

Samara was insanely more creepy than Sadako.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-04-02 18:56:52)